What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Sandero Stepway - Car won't start after airbag issues - Liam s

I've got my MOT tomorrow and the airbag light has been on for a few months.

I stupidly didn't think it was a failure until today (my fault I know) but since finding out, I've tried to fix it.

I disconnected the battery from the car, and checked the airbag wires under the seat, made sure they were all connected. Then reconnected the battery and now the car won't start

After doing this, I checked the fuses (should have done that first) and the airbag fuse was blown, so I replaced it and it blew again.

I'm guessing there's a short somewhere, which is why it's popping but I don't understand why my car won't start now. There's no error codes on an OBD reader.

Could the two issues be connected? Or is it a complete coincidence that the car won't start after trying these things?

I can't even drive the car to the MOT now.

Hope this makes sense. I have a little knowledge of mechanics but not so much electrical.

Thank you!

Edited by Liam s on 24/10/2022 at 15:38

Dacia Sandero Stepway - Car won't start after airbag issues - elekie&a/c doctor
I can’t think of any reason why the car wouldn’t start if the airbag fuse is blown. Are you sure the battery isn’t flat or low voltage?
Dacia Sandero Stepway - Car won't start after airbag issues - Liam s

Unfortunately not, I've tried a spare battery, jump starting, everything battery wise.

Failing that, do you know why a car wouldn't start after having the battery disconnected and reconnected?

Thank you for your help so far

Dacia Sandero Stepway - Car won't start after airbag issues - elekie&a/c doctor
Which fuse is blowing and where is it ?
Dacia Sandero Stepway - Car won't start after airbag issues - Dorset123

Before you disconnected the battery did you wait about 30 mins to allow the car to shut down if you don't do this you can damage the ECU it is not a good idea to do this on modern cars.

The best think to do would be to wait 30 mins then take off the battery again and leave for about 10 mins then reconnect and see if it starts then if that doesn't work it will need to go to the dealer.

Dacia Sandero Stepway - Car won't start after airbag issues - Dorset123

You need to be very careful with the airbag systems they are not a DIY repair item you could set them off which would be dangerous if your were in the car at the time.