1.4 TFSI - Audi Q2 Coolant Loss - s.wood

Hello readers. I would like your thoughts on a serious problem. I had the cambelt changed on my Q2 1.4 TFSI {25000 miles} at JCT600 after the work was completed i drove away and lost all my coolant over a distance of 10+ miles. The dealer has checked the car and is saying a thermostat hose has split but because this is on the the opposite side of the engine they cannot take the blame. My car was running perfectly prior to having this work done and i have never topped up the coolant in the 3 years owing the car. In fairness to the dealer they are doing the repairs with no cost to me but my question is how likely is it that a thermostat hose would split immediatley after driving out of the dealers, sounds a little suspious to me.

1.4 TFSI - Audi Q2 Coolant Loss - elekie&a/c doctor
Many coolant pipes on modern engines are actually plastic. These become brittle with age . I suspect excess pressure may have been put on the pipe when the cambelt was replaced, causing a fractured pipe .

Thanks for reply. My concerns are, am i the only person this has happened to surely audi technicians should be aware of these potential problems and do the necessary checks. My independant garage would have taken car out to check things are running ok. What makes me suspious is that numerous telephone conversations with the dealer are directed through a young female receptionist dispite asking to speak to the service manager.

1.4 TFSI - Audi Q2 Coolant Loss - elekie&a/c doctor
I think the biggest problem with main dealers , is that there are fixed times to carry out jobs , which doesn’t leave a lot of margin for “after job” checking. An Indy garage will spend more time where they’re not working against the clock . Also main dealers employ staff that are a lot younger with less real experience.

I think your reply answers my concerns, i will take advantage of the free MOT's that comes with the cambelt change but if i need any significant work done they wont be doing it.