Vauxhall insignia SRI - Head gasket/coolant issue - Gary Gunning

I have had my car in a local garage for about 3 weeks getting a head gasket replaced, new rocker cover and spark plug and and skim etc.

I got my car back yesterday and there is now a trickling/liquid sound coming from the car. Doesnt seem like there are any oil leaks in the engine bay and it would appear the coolant is stable. I have also noticed that the engine appears to be very hot when you stop (have been checking for leaks etc periodically).

Can anyone think what the issue might be? Im hoping the block isnt cracked but its about the only thing I can think of at this point?

Vauxhall insignia SRI - Head gasket/coolant issue - Big John

Is the noise coming from the exhaust? It can take a while for water from pre head gasket replacement to clear from the exhaust system. My neighbour had with a Toyota Carina where the head gasket failed and was replaced - gurgled etc from the exhaust for quite a while afterwards.

Vauxhall insignia SRI - Head gasket/coolant issue - Adampr

Sorry if stating the obvious, but how are you checking the coolant level? Make sure you check it under the radiator cap (when cool!), not just the expansion tank.

Vauxhall insignia SRI - Head gasket/coolant issue - bathtub tom

Could be coolant circulating properly now, or an air lock. I wonder if the engine appearing to be very hot could be the smell of new gaskets. What's your temperature gauge show, was it running cool before the head gasket change?

Vauxhall insignia SRI - Head gasket/coolant issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Head gasket failure is very often the result of another problem. Unfortunately, modern engines don’t like being overheated, and when they are , they’re usually goosed . I suspect the problem is deeper than an hg fail. There’s no radiator cap on these , only the expansion bottle. I would very carefully remove the cap and check for excessive pressure. Does the heater work ?

Hi Bathtub Tom. Prior to the gasket being changed the temp gauge (and still is) showing normal at about 90°.

Hi Adampr. Yes as you had described.

Hi Big John. No, if youare sitting in the divers sear it sounds like its coming from just infront of the passenger side where the coolant tank is.

Hi Big John. No, if im sitting in the drivers seat it sounds like it is coming from just infront of passenger seat where the coolant is.

Air lock in the heater matrix? I don't know the coolant system bleeding procedure on the Insignia but I thought Vauxhalls didn't have bleed valves these days. It also can be a sign that the coolant level is low - but that would hopefully show up on the header tank.

As elekie&a/c doctor has asked - is the heater working as expected?

Important - you mentioned that the engine seems very warm after running - carefully feel the main radiator core is it hot? If not you may have a circulation problem such as blocked radiator/ failed closed thermostat/ water pump . Why did the head gasket fail in the first place, indeed does the fault still exist?

Edited by Big John on 13/10/2022 at 08:59

Vauxhall insignia SRI - Head gasket/coolant issue - edlithgow
Sounds like air iin the system. Some cars (VW Golf seems to get special mention) are difficult to fill and may benefit from vacuum filling gizmos.

On the Skywing I boil the coolant ( jamming a series of funnels in the rad port for expansion room) to clear air. Bit alarming but I feel safer than running with air in the system
Sounds like air in the system. Some cars (VW Golf seems to get special mention) are difficult to fill

My 2001 1.4 16v Octavia(same oily bits as similar Golf) was a doddle to fill after a new radiator was fitted - After filling kept squeezing large hoses and topping up then run up to temperature (fans running) with the header tank cap removed. Checked level and replaced cap - job done - perfect thereafter. Header tank is high up with pipes feeding from many places.

A previous Fiat Punto was a nightmare to bleed as the "header tank" was at low level next to the radiator feeding the cooling system from the bottom. No wonder head gaskets used to fail shortly after a coolant refresh!! It had bleed valves near the heater matrix. Myself I chose to refresh the coolant live - filling and draining at the same time. Wasteful but no air introduced in the system.