Mini JCW v Audi TT S Line - What car to go for - Nico Farigo

Evening folks, having only just joined the forum my apologies if my question is out of context or in the wrong section.

My current car (Vauxhall VX220) has recently been unfortunately wrote off and I have narrowed my car shortlist down to either a Mini JCW hatch or Audi TT S Line 2.0 petrol both around a 16 plate.

Could I get anyone's thoughts on which is the better car? And any insight in regards to reliability and other things in general.

Thank you for reading :)

Mini JCW v Audi TT S Line - What car to go for - badbusdriver

That is sad about your VX220, rare car and probably increasing in value. First thing though, surely a Lotus Elise would be the most obvious replacement, given how closely related they are under the skin?.

Between your two choices, given I have never liked the 'new' (BMW) Mini, the Audi would be a no brainer for me. Even ignoring my own opinion, while the Mini might seem like a more practical choice, the boot is tiny and the rear seats are not really usable for adults. Same for the rear seats on the TT, but the boot is of a reasonable size.

The Mini would handle better, be more engaging and more fun on a twisty country road, probably a track day too. The TT would be less hardcore, but more comfortable and refined for day to day use.

As for reliability, while some Mini's aren't that great (such as those with the Prince engine), not sure about the specific model you are looking at. A TT of that age and with a manual gearbox should be fine though.

Mini JCW v Audi TT S Line - What car to go for - Adampr

A mate of mine had a much loved VX220 that was totalled by a drunk driver whilst parked up overnight. A great shame to lose another.

Anyway, I would agree with BBD's comments on choosing between a Mini and a TT. I like the new Minis and have had three. I would certainly recommend a good test drive in a JCW as a standard 'One' is pretty bouncy and you may find the firmer JCW too uncomfortable for daily use.

What a shame! With been fibre glass they're such fragile cars.

What was the reliability and maintenance like with your Mini's? Coming from the VX I think everything with feel comfortable ha ha.

Seems like the general consensus so far is to go for the TT

Mini JCW v Audi TT S Line - What car to go for - Adampr

I never had any significant problems with my Minis. I think one had a sticky central locking actuator and that was about it. I had a first generation One, a second generation Cooper D and a second generation One. By all accounts, I was lucky with the last one because the 'Prince' petrol engine in the second generation is notoriously bad.

You should avoid all petrol second generation Minis like the plague. There's a reason why they're always cheap.

That's good to know, you must've enjoyed the cars to keep going back for more.

Ahh I see, the bad things I have heard regarding reliability were most likely relating to the second generation then. I was looking at around a 16 plate with my budget so that is good know.

Would the JCW and TT have a similar depreciation or is that impossible to really tell?

Thanks again

Thank you for your response. Yeah I was gutted, I did consider another VX or an S2 Elise but as it is my daily driver I think it may be wise to buy something a little more refined especially with winter on its way.

I have heard a few anecdotal horror stories regarding Mini's and reliability but I wasn't sure if that was with the slightly older model.

Mini JCW v Audi TT S Line - What car to go for - Brit_in_Germany

If a TT is on your list, have you thought about a GT86?

Yeah I actually test drove one, always been a fan of the cars it just felt a tad sluggish I expected a little more to be honest