What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion - Speedometer dropping out - rustonboy

The speedo on my 2003 1.6 petrol Fusion (truly a great car) drops out occasionally. This has been going on for several years now. Sometimes it comes back after a few miles, sometimes after a few days. No apparent pattern or cause. Interestingly though, whenever it drops out, the radio volume decreases! My model does not have ABS, and according to Haynes the speed sensor is on top of the transmission, but I have been unable to locate it. Please does anyone have any advice on how best to proceed from here - many thanks :-)

Ford Fusion - Speedometer dropping out - elekie&a/c doctor
The speed sensor should be located at the back of the transmission, down by the left hand drive shaft. It could be a push in type (usually a drama to remove ) or a single bolt fitting, depending on what gearbox used .
Ford Fusion - Speedometer dropping out - rustonboy

Many thanks to the tip - will attempt to locate and replace speed sensor when time allows. In the meanwhile using the rev counter to gauge speed :-)

Ford Fusion - Speedometer dropping out - Andrew-T

... meanwhile using the rev counter to gauge speed :-)

That will call for agile mental maths to allow for the correct gear :-)

Ford Fusion - Speedometer dropping out - badbusdriver

my 2003 1.6 petrol Fusion (truly a great car)

Quite agree with you re the merits of the Fusion (we used to have one), very under rated car!.

Interestingly though, whenever it drops out, the radio volume decreases!

I seem to remember with ours that the volume of the radio increased with the speed. I assumed it was meant to do this because road and wind noise also increased with speed, so it would seem logical that whatever sensor responsible for this is tied in with the speedometer?.

In the meanwhile using the rev counter to gauge speed :-)

Assuming you have a smartphone, you should be able to get some kind of app which tells you how fast you are travelling. Not the perfect solution, but might be an idea till you rectify the problem?.