What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - granty000

Here goes..

bought a non running mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 titanium x and have tried all sorts to get it running

first off the pump/sender unit in the tank was not pumping fuel up to the filter so replaced that .replaced the fuel filter too.the problem im having is it will not start .

the clear fuel line that runs from the filter was full of air bubbles so went and fitted an inline pump before the fuel filter so now its constant solid fuel up to the high pressure pump.

ive cranked engine and cracked open the nearest injector to the drivers side and are getting a good stream of air and fuel .done exactly the same with the other injectors cranked engine bleed air out but still none runner.ive connected forscan and there is just one code that says egr valve low voltage .if i blast easy start into the air box it runs obv until the easy start vapours off.

ive tried all sorts with this and at my witts end any suggestions guys..am i missing something stupid ??

Edited model name in Header.. ORB

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/09/2022 at 18:06

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - bathtub tom

Has it sparks and at the right time?

I suspect so, as it runs on 'easy start'. EML codes?

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/09/2022 at 18:05

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - _

Is this a diesel?

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/09/2022 at 18:04

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - granty000

yes m8

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - elekie&a/c doctor
This has the 2.2 Peugeot Diesel engine , which are generally very robust . What’s the fuel pressure actual value , showing on your scanner? This is a common rail injection system , cracking an injector pipe union is counter productive. There’s no in tank pump on these .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 30/09/2022 at 18:28

Not checked fuel pressure I'm using firs an dies that have it on

And definitely a fuel pump in the lifter I tested it.. Was working but not pumping fuel. Just making noise.

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - Adampr

Not trying to be a smarty pants here, but have you thought about dealing with the fault code? If your EGR valve isn't working properly (faulty position sensor?) you might not be getting enough air in there and the easy start is correcting it briefly.

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - Bromptonaut

Had similar with a Citroen Xantia HDi 110. Wouldn't start but ran briefly on Green Flag man's easy start.

In that case the lift pump in the tank was U/S and replacement sorted it.

Common symptom seems to be lack of ignitable fuel exiting the injector.

Are the electronics and valving around the high pressure pump and injectors functioning correctly?

Mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 - ford mondeo mk4 2.2 wont run unless easy start - S40 Man

I don't know how similar this engine is to the 2.0 tdci which I used to have, also 08 Mondeo. I changed the fuel filter on mine. The Haynes manual basically says don't do this but I ignored it. Anyway I got air bubbles in the fuel line and the b****** just would not start. There were lots of videos on YouTube about purging the system, none of which worked.

In the end I found a Schroeder type valve near the fuel pump. I fabricated a tool from a tyre inflator goo can and my vacuum oil extractor. I was able to pull a vacuum on the fuel line and suck out the air leaving only fuel. It then started on the button. Have a look for a car tyre valve near the fuel lines.