What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - Jordster88

Hi all.

I'm on the lookout for a new car. This will probably be the biggest stand alone purchase I've made in my life so far so after much deliberation, I'm settling on the idea that either a Mazda3 or Auris would hold me in good stead, as I'm after reliability more than anything else (especially reading through helpful recommendations on this sub).

- My budget is £7000-£8000 max, this is will be through a personal loan @ 3.3%

- Petrol only, with mileage 8-10k per annum

- Ideally 2013/2014 onwards and Japanese reliability, is the main criteria I am looking at.

It would be great if people could give me their thoughts on some of the options below (admittedly, limited ones in market prices)

Mazda3 - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209019338589?f...s

Auris 1 - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209089577048?f...s

Auris 2 - www.hiltoncarsupermarket.co.uk/used-toyota-auris-b...2

I really like the Mazda3 SKYACTIV-G SE-L in general, but would not mind lowing my budget for a 1.6 Mazda3. As for the Auris, it seems they are at premium more than most other cars, I honestly don't mind that they seem to be "boring" to drive, the reliability factor is key (I'm coming from a 06 Zafira 1.6) The caveat to all of this is that I need a car in the next 2 weeks for work and these seem like the only reasonable options in the midlands area.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - Adampr

For your budget and needs, I think you should broaden your search. You could look at things like a Hyundai i20, ix20 or i30, Kia Rio, Venga or Ceed. You could also look at a Nissan Note, Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris. It really depends on how much space you need I suppose.

I think a Mazda 3 is a bit aspirational for your budget and you run the risk of buying a specífic model of car because they're generally reliable, then overlooking mileage and condition. A well maintained Dacia will be more reliable than an abused Subaru.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the three you linked to as they all come from independent dealers and bring all the risks associated with that, in addition to at least £1,000 of the price being the trader's profit.

Thanks for the helpful advice. To be honest the Honda Civic was on my list too, particularly the 1.8 from 2013 onwards. I forgot to mention the car would need to accommodate a family of 5 as well. The market is so frustrating at the moment, refreshing my saved searches each day to no avail, so fighting the urge not to make an impulsive buy.

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - bazza

Hello, main dealers will have the best stock. Looking on Toyota used cars, there are several auris in your price range. You'll get a year used car warranty and typically Toyota will present the car in decent condition. You won't go far wrong, a bit more expensive but a very low risk purchase. An auris is just fine, will serve you well for years.

You get a ten year / 100 000 mile warranty too.

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - catsdad

An Auris from a main dealer will have a warranty up to its 10th birthday if they give it a manufacturer’s service.

I don’t begrudge any dealer a profit. However check it’s got good tyres (they can be worth £400) and brakes (new brake pads and discs are about £600 at main dealer prices). If simple checks like that are done and are OK you can negate that £1k profit. They buy and sell by the book, not the detailed history.

A Civic might offer a bit more space for 5. I assume from reading between the lines that you are aware of the issue with 1.8 oil consumption on 2012 models. That’s why I traded mine in with fsh, new brakes and good tyres three years ago for under £4k. How times change!

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - Heidfirst

An Auris from a main dealer will have a warranty up to its 10th birthday if they give it a manufacturer’s service.

If they give it a dealer service the day before it's 10th birthday it will still get an extra year warranty so effectively 11 years (minus 1 day) - also subject to the 100,000 mile limit.

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - badbusdriver

Thanks for the helpful advice. To be honest the Honda Civic was on my list too, particularly the 1.8 from 2013 onwards. I forgot to mention the car would need to accommodate a family of 5 as well. The market is so frustrating at the moment, refreshing my saved searches each day to no avail, so fighting the urge not to make an impulsive buy.

I was wondering why no mention of the Civic which would seem an obvious addition to your original two as being a very reliable hatch. Also, seeing as you've now mentioned the family of 5, the Civic would be a better choice than the Auris and 3 due to a much bigger boot (by more than 100 litres) and more space for rear passengers.

To that end, I've already looked on Autotrader (using a 50 mile radius of the postcode for the garage selling the Mazda) and this immediately caught my attention,

Private sale, one previous owner and it is cheap. Just check MOT history for any alarm bells, if not it seems well worth a look. Bear in mind, the kind of warranty you will get for a car of this age from an independent garage isn't going to be worth much.

That Civic appears on my saved Autotrader search too. It was on my radar, I think the only thing that put me off is that the MOT history appears to show a lack of care from previous owner, as well as these advisories below over the last few years

Service brake efficiency below requirements (1.2.2 (a) (i))

Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

I am still trying to learn and get to grips with what would be acceptable previous advisories!

Oh and yes, re oil consumption, I discovered the issue thanks to this forum!

Edited by Jordster88 on 26/09/2022 at 19:51

The only cars on which I have had to have premature brake work have been Hondas. A company 2004 Accord in 2006 and my aforementioned Civic. It seems to be one of their few weak spots but wouldn’t put me off buying another.

I have seen this Civic as well. My only worries are that it's not done much mileage over the last few years and it appears the dealer hasn't been able to shift it. (Last MOT was Jan 2022 and the promotional video of the car on the ad was was posted 5 months ago on their YT page)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203253949218?atmobcid=soc3

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - corax

The only cars on which I have had to have premature brake work have been Hondas. A company 2004 Accord in 2006 and my aforementioned Civic. It seems to be one of their few weak spots but wouldn’t put me off buying another.

Yes, they seem to have problematic rear brake design, also they were known for aircon compressor failure but I don't know which models and what years were affected.

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - bazza

Yes indeed, the Civic will be a fine purchase too. I currently have a 1.8 2012 model, which I've had for 5 years and it is a totally competent family car, averaging 47mpg and over 50mpg on a long run.

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - johncyprus

OP if that Civic at £5,500 checks out OK you won’t do better than that.
Good spot bbd, that was SLO76 quality. Hopefully he’ll be back soon.

I'm planning on viewing that civic. My only doutb is some history of braking issues on MOT. I've found this one too:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207298269284?atmobcid=soc3

It seems pricey to me with MOT due in December. Do dealers generally put a new MOT on sale?

Most dealers will put a new MOT on but obviously are not obliged to. You just need to check and confirm as part of the deal.

That latest Civic looks top price (although AT rates it as a good price) and it’s not in top condition. You can see dents in the rear door. It may be the light but the paint colour overall looks a different shade between front and back doors. The steering wheel and gear lever are worn and there are numerous scratches in the plastic trim. I know it’s nearly ten years old but it looks a bit tired for the normally robust Civic. The boot is mucky too. If that’s what’s visible in the pictures it will be even worse in the metal. It might well be good mechanically if the service history checks out but the cosmetic condition suggests to me that’s it’s had a hard life and that the dealer can’t be bothered to prepare the car properly. Who would leave in those worn out mats for example?

If it’s just cosmetic issues you might be able to use them as negotiation points on the price but personally I would steer clear.

PS there are a number of poor reviews on Trustpilot and elsewhere.

Edited by catsdad on 30/09/2022 at 04:46

I'm planning on viewing that civic. My only doutb is some history of braking issues on MOT. I've found this one too:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207298269284?atmobcid=soc3

It seems pricey to me with MOT due in December. Do dealers generally put a new MOT on sale?

According to Autotrader, it is a 'good price'. This is determined by comparing the price of this car with others of the same age and mileage.

Yes, I'd expect a new MOT with the car since the current one is only valid for another 2 months!. Saying that, looking at the MOT history, there is nothing to suggest it won't sail through.

Thanks for all of your wise words.

I've spotted the following 2016 Mazda3 2.0 SKYACTIV-G SE Nav for £5600

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202210020333339?f...s

Decent mileage and with a good Mazda service history. The only caveat is the cosmetic damage that seller has openly stated (visible in pictures 18-20). The scratches don't look to bad, but you can see the dent on the lip of the bonnet.

It does look in great nick, I'm thinking if all checks out I would have some budget leftover to repair. Would this be feasible based on this car? Or does the damage look too much? I have no experience of repair costs for what is shown.

Looks alright on the face of it. Why would you bother repairing the damage? I mean, it's only a few hundred (certainly less than 5) hundred quid's worth, but you'll stuck it into a curb or trolley fairly soon. Assuming the paint is intact, the bonnet dent is probably the easiest and may even just push out.

Without the damage the price is reasonable. With damage its a bit dear

Its very hard to judge from the photos but the rear damage looks as if it might touch up enough not to draw the eye. Assuming there is no hidden damage. The front bumper issue is also whether there’s hidden damage to the structure behind. If not, again you might get by with some touching up as it’s largely hidden.

Adam might be right re the bonnet but I am a pessimist when it comes to bodywork. I’d hope for a £100 smart repair but budget for a bodyshop and full panel re spray at (say) £300. It’s one of the most visible panels on the car so it needs care taken.

Same again if the front bumper needs replacing.

As someone once said…do you feel lucky?

I mean, it's only a few hundred (certainly less than 5) hundred quid's worth

I'm not sure that is actually the case (and the paint on the bonnet has clearly been broken). I remember a post not too long ago where I'm sure someone mentioned that the eye-catching metallic red used on Mazda's actually costs a small fortune. I could be mistaken, but I'd look into that before taking the car with the intention of repairing it.

But, given this has to accommodate a family of five, I'd also suggest that a Mazda 3 is not the best option. The boot is of only average size and rear seat space is of below average size.

Thanks again for the replies. It is much appreciated.

I think my intention to repair is solely based on when it comes to re-selling. Coupled with the fact it seems the car is at least £2000 cheaper than similar age/mileage on the market at the moment. So my (possibly skewed) thinking is if I decide and I'm able to repair it and if there isn't any structural damage, it might be a bit of a bargain. The car needs to last me at least 3 years. 3 owners in 6 years does slightly trouble me too. I do have a tendency to worry about the seemingly minor issues!

I've done a history check which has come back clear, it isn't too far from me so taking all of your helpful advice into account, the last thing for me to do is to have a look.

Oh, is that picture that looks like bird poo the bonnet?

I reckon that's been bashed into a skip.

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - Xileno

I would want to know more about the service history. The last Mazda service was at 61330 but the odometer is on 86238. Has it been serviced since?

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - Engineer Andy

I would want to know more about the service history. The last Mazda service was at 61330 but the odometer is on 86238. Has it been serviced since?

Let's hope that it has, given the service interval is 12,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It could just be that the last 2 years were serviced by an indie.

I personally wouldn't go for this car unless it had a full service history and on time/as manufacturer's recommendations (esp. oil and other fluid/filter changes)*, which could include the digital one for its time serviced at a main dealer plus sufficient paperwork from an indie. I'd also have the car inspected, given it is a high mileage car and suffered some damage.

* The car looks like it has been well used. Chain-cam engines like this need freah oil on schedule otherwise it can cause problems later in life.

Just also noticed at least one of its replacement tyres is some never-heard-of brand, presumably a cheapo tyre to get it through the last MOT after the old tyre was worn down to the carcass. To me, that signifies someone who drove for a good number of miles on bald tyres, which isn't a good sign as regards maintenance.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 04/10/2022 at 17:12

Just also noticed at least one of its replacement tyres is some never-heard-of brand, presumably a cheapo tyre to get it through the last MOT after the old tyre was worn down to the carcass. To me, that signifies someone who drove for a good number of miles on bald tyres, which isn't a good sign as regards maintenance.

Yeah, I did notice that and the advert claims two new tyres. One of the pics shows a rear wheel at an angle with what appears to be a new tyre. 'Rapid P309' can clearly be made out. I assumed this was a model name, but a quick search suggests Rapid is the make (never heard of it) and P309 is the tyre model. Couple of pics later there is one of a front wheel and on the tyre you can make out 'Torque' on the left side but I can't make out what it says on the other side. Starts with a T, second letter could be Q, O or 0, but the third letter definitely isn't a Y (otherwise it could have been a Toyo).

With the possibility of a missed service, the bodywork damage (which may cost a lot more to fix that expected), along with the cheapo tyres, it is starting to look a lot less attractive despite the low price!.

It says Torque TQ021. Another mystery brand of tyre.

The ad says it has been serviced, but not by Mazda, for the last two years.

This is why the sub is so helpful.

Thanks for all your observations, things I genuinely would've missed. It appears the Torque TQ021 is the budget tyre from Asda, about £51.

As it's so close to me, I'll try to arrange a visit and will ask about recent service history. Worth a gander just out of curiosity. It may seem the current owner may have taken it to an indy last few years as a cost cutting measure as I'm sure the mazda services were much more pricey for the 2 previous owners.

The blue honda previously suggested just didn't check out either. Had that "feeling" after the test drive that something wasn't right.

This Mazda aside, the search remains on...

Thanks for all your observations, things I genuinely would've missed. It appears the Torque TQ021 is the budget tyre from Asda, about £51.

Surely a budget tyre from Asda should be called the Smart Price TQ21?

;-)

Mazda3/Toyota Auris Advice - Engineer Andy

;-)

£51 for a 'budget' tyre?! I paid essentially the same price for each of my Michelin CC+ 4 years ago for my (much older) Mazda3. Inflation...((shakes head))

Admitedly the gen-3 (and 4) Mazda3s are now fitted with less common 205/60 R16 or equivalent 18in tyres, both of which are more expensive than my original 205/55 R16s or changed-to 195/65 R15s, but still...I thought that cheapo tyres are supposed to be...cheap.

;-)

£51 for a 'budget' tyre?! I paid essentially the same price for each of my Michelin CC+ 4 years ago for my (much older) Mazda3. Inflation...((shakes head))

Admitedly the gen-3 (and 4) Mazda3s are now fitted with less common 205/60 R16 or equivalent 18in tyres, both of which are more expensive than my original 205/55 R16s or changed-to 195/65 R15s, but still...I thought that cheapo tyres are supposed to be...cheap.

I had a look on Ebay to find out the cost of replacement tyres. Were it me I'd go for all season tyres and Michelin's would be just over £500 for a set of four, Goodyears just under. Fitting costs on top of that though!.