Swift as a replacement for my VW Golf? - dhokes

I'm looking to replace my VW Golf 1.9 TDI and I want to purchase from a garage/trade with a max price of £7k. Ideally looking for a petrol and something cheaper to run.

I was wondering what people think of this Swift - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208178886049? I drove it and its seems nice but I can't image how it would feel at speeds of 70+mph on a motorway. I take short motorway trips.

Also, thoughts on this Leon please - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209209924791?

The Leon is cheaper and not that much older so that appeals to me. Should the extra mileage concern me? Is it fair to assume that the Leon would be much more comfortable?

Swift as a replacement for my VW Golf? - badbusdriver

The Swift will be fine on the motorway, it does have a top speed of over 100mph after all. It won't be the quietest or most refined though.

My worry with the Leon would be whether or not it has the earlier troublesome chain drive rather than the belt drive engine as I believe it was around 2014 they changed.

Comfort?, depends on what you mean. We have a Suzuki Ignis and I find the seats on it very comfortable. No personal experience of that age Leon so can't comment on the seats, but I'd certainly expect it to be quieter and more refined. The fact that it is an SE rather than one of the sportier trims means a more sensible wheel/tyre combo, which is better for ride comfort noise levels and economy (not to mention cheaper to replace)

Edited by badbusdriver on 26/09/2022 at 12:53

Swift as a replacement for my VW Golf? - skidpan

My worry with the Leon would be whether or not it has the earlier troublesome chain drive rather than the belt drive engine as I believe it was around 2014 they changed.

All Mk 3 Leons from the models introduction in approx March 2013 were fitted with the belt drive 1.2 and 1.4 TSi engines.

So nothing to worry about in this respect. Pretty sure belt replacement was due at 120,000 miles or 5 years.

We had a 1.4 and it was an excellent car. Like the one in the advert it was a SE model which meant comfy seats, comfy suspension and sensible 16" tyres.

But its an 8 year old car so as always its a bit of a lottery.

Swift as a replacement for my VW Golf? - dhokes

Hmm, thanks all. So SE is comfort whereas FR is more tech? I've seen this FR which is newer and with fewer miles and below market average price - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109077082579 There aren't known issues with that engine, right?

Hmm, thanks all. So SE is comfort whereas FR is more tech? I've seen this FR which is newer and with fewer miles and below market average price - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109077082579 There aren't known issues with that engine, right?

That is not a Leon, its an Ibiza. Smaller car based on older platform and possibly still has the troublesome chain cam engine.

Its cheaper for a reason

FR, AFAIK is more sporty than tech, but from the comfort and refinement point of view it is wheel/tyre size which counts. As for engine problems, being the belt drive, no. It is a lower powered version of the same engine in the Leon.

The car above is an Ibiza though, different kettle of fish from the Leon and almost certainly noisier and with a harder ride, especially in FR trim. Would it be more comfortable than the Swift?, I couldn't say without trying them, but I'd imagine there wouldn't be much in it either way. The Ibiza has more muscle (despite having pretty much the same bhp) at motorway speed because being a turbo it has much more torque at lower revs than the Swift (160nm from 1400-3500rpm vs 118nm @ 4800rpm).

Its cheaper for a reason

It is only £298 below average price, so not that cheap. Could be the colour though, appears to be dark non metallic blue?.

BTW, the Swift linked earlier is £646 above average.

Smaller car based on older platform and possibly still has the troublesome chain cam engine.

Surely a 2016 car would have the belt drive engine?

Surely a 2016 car would have the belt drive engine?

Not 100% sure but thought the belt drive cams in the Ibiza/Polo/Fabia arrived with the 1.0 TSi.

We drove a 2015 1.2 Polo TSi and expected a similar drive to the more powerful but heavier Leon, wrong, it was carp. The 2018 Fabia we have is great.

Swift as a replacement for my VW Golf? - Adampr

I think the 1.2 comes in two different outputs doesn't it? I believe I have more powerful one I my extremely sporty Toledo.....

In the small cars it did, think it was 90 ps and 110 ps. The 1.0 TSi came in 95 ps and 110 ps versions but in the Leon/Golf/Octavia the 1.0 TSi was 115 ps.

Swift as a replacement for my VW Golf? - paul 1963

I had the previous generation Swift a car or 2 ago, mine was the sz5 4x4 version, had it from new for 3 years, nothing ever went wrong, handled like a dream and "went" well when one or two up, seriously thinking about a swift sport next in a year or so's time...