What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - hmc
Hi I’m just about to buy this car and can u tell me if it is a Toyota engine , my father seems to think it’s a Suzuki thanks
Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - Adampr

It's a Toyota 1ND-TV

Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - elekie&a/c doctor
Some Suzuki models have Fiat Diesel engines, not Toyota . The urban cruiser was not a popular model. A 10 year diesel anything is best avoided .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 19/09/2022 at 20:27

Why
Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - badbusdriver
Why

Simple logic, if a 10+ year old diesel goes wrong, it will cost a lot more to fix than the equivalent petrol version.

Unless you do big miles or need the extra torque for towing, it doesn't make any sense to take the chance in going for the diesel version. AFAIK it isn't an inherently unreliable engine, but I'd still be very reluctant.

Edited by badbusdriver on 20/09/2022 at 06:18

Thankyou
Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - nellyjak

Given the opinions you've received here and on TOC I think you need to avoid diesel.

Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - Steveieb

I simply can’t understand why Toyota can’t make a smooth running Diesel engine. Ok they are only needed for the European market and they have sometimes bought from Peugeot and BMW ?
But they made a cracking engine for the Yaris Diesel in the early 2000 s.

The Diesel engines in the early RAV 4 s were so noisy and unrefined!

Surely they have the expertise as Honda have shown with their Diesel engines !

Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - Heidfirst

The 1AD/2AD series were pretty good (I had 2). Yes, initially there were the head gasket issues which affected a small % of them (but of course Toyota also fixed them for free even past original warranty) but after that problems usually related to use that wasn't suitable for a diesel (short trips where the engine never reached full operating temp. etc.) & DPNR/DPF - same issues as any other modern, emission-equipped diesel might.

Toyota dropped them & brought in the BMW N47-derived engines because it was not worth the cost of developing an EURO VI compliant solution for the relatively small nos. that they were selling (I have a suspicion that this was at least partly because Toyota don't appear to have gamed the tests the way that VW, Mercedes etc. seem to have, so ended up in higher tax brackets or higher official consumption).

The Toyota dealer service staff I have spoken to have said that the N47, as far as they were concerned from a workshop pov, were a sideways move rather than an improvement.

Diesel 2011 - Toyota urban cruiser - badbusdriver

I simply can’t understand why Toyota can’t make a smooth running Diesel engine.

A customer of mine has a Land Cruiser with a 4.2 straight six turbo diesel, it's plenty smooth!