What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - Daniel Bowie

This isn't really a post about the cars themselves its more about asking should I get a car I like the look of and/or buying one for practical use.

The type of person I am is that, I love efficiency but I do care about the look of the cars but I do not like the look of most of the cars that are mpg cars. I have the fortunate position to be able to have little bit of money as in 5k to spend on my first car and I cannot choose from Eco/mpg or pleasure.....

Asking for some advice and from your own experience!

Cheers

Daniel

Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - Xileno

If this is your first car then you are probably quite young, so I would be looking at insurance costs before anything else. A car you like the look of may be too much too insure. The novelty of a car can soon wear off if it leaves you poor.

Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - brambobb

I had a CRZ and loved it but unfortunately had to sell it after a few months because we were looking after our young granddaughter quite regularly at the time and she was very upset at the claustrophobic feeling when sitting in her car seat in the back of the car. Also SWMBO was pretty unenthusiastic about it.

To be fair it is only a two seater in practical terms but it is quite eye catching (to me) and there seem to be quite a few still around even though the last new ones were sold 10 years ago. I often wonder if it could become a sort of cult car a few years down the line.

The car was faultless during the few months I had it and it is a very interesting one as far as I am concerned because it is the only hybrid that I have come across with a manual gearbox.

The issue of insurance could be a problem as has already been mentioned. I don't think that it was particularly expensive from what I remember but back then I was a driver in my early 60s with a full NCB.

Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - Adampr

Something like a Seat Mii FR Line, VW Up Beats or Kia Picanto GT Line gives you a sporty look without costing a lot in fuel or insurance.

A Suzuki Swift Sport would do the same, but with more performance, and fuel and insurance costs to match. A Fiat Panda 100hp would be similar, but hard to find one still in good order.

If you like the look of a CR-Z, you could look for a 3 door Citroen C4 from 2004-2010. I don't know how reliable they are (especially at this age), but they have the same cut off coupe styling.

Finally, maybe a Kia Proceed.

Edited by Adampr on 18/09/2022 at 22:59

Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - Ian_SW

If by cars you like the look of, you're thinking of better looking hatchbacks as opposed to a sports car, convertible etc. there isn't necessarily a huge hit in terms of cost to running it as many are just the same underneath as a more ordinary looking car.

The CR-Z is fairly niche, so possibly a bit risky in terms of finding a good one and then a garage who can maintain it properly, but there are others which are basically just a more stylish version of a common hatchback. For example looking at some of the more stylish hatchbacks now coming up to 8-10 years old so in this price rance, the Volvo C30 shares many of its mechanical parts with a Ford Focus, the VW Scirocco is a restyled VW Golf, and the Alfa Romeo Giulietta is on some fairly generic Fiat platform. Even the Peugeot RCZ which most people would think of as a sports car is based on the same platform as the very ordinary (and really ugly!) Peugeot 308.

Having said all of that, as others have also said look at the cost of insurance before choosing anything. It's not necessarily always what you expect though some cars are just seen as higher risk for younger drivers even though they are no more exotic or powerful than others.

Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - badbusdriver

For the OP, the fact that you are considering a CR-Z suggests you don't need rear seats as while there are rear seats, you couldn't realistically fit anyone in there.

If that is the case, you could consider a 2nd gen Vauxhall Tigra. It is of course just a Corsa, so nothing for any garage to be wary of (save roof problems, not sure if they are common?). Most common engine is the 89bhp 1.4, nippy enough, reliable, fairly efficient and insurance shouldn't be a problem. A 123bhp 1.8 and a 70bhp 1.3 turbo diesel (probably not advisable) were also offered. Youngest is 2009, but the most expensive example on Autotrader is £3995, a one owner 32k mile 1.4.

Another similar car is the Renault Wind, which is based on the Clio. Youngest is going to be 2011 and engine options are a 100bhp 1.2 turbo or a 133bhp n/a 1.6. Most expensive on Autotrader is a fiver under £5.8k, but most under £5k.

Going back to the CR-Z, while I certainly see the appeal, your budget is unlikely to get you into a nice one. Most expensive on Autotrader is over £11k, drop maximum budget to £5k and there are 11 examples available, but set maximum miles to 100k and there are only 3 examples available nationwide!. So while you might get lucky, I wouldn't recommend a CR-Z unless you can up your budget by another £2-2.5k.

Honda CR-Z, Ford Focus etc etc - Need Help on first car experiance - Ethan Edwards

If he has no NCD and this is his first car choose small and cheap like a Citroën C1 or equivalent Peugeot or Toyota Aygo. Insurance could easily be a couple of grand.

Plus your almost guaranteed to scrape it on something. So cheap and small is the order of the day. Three four years later different story.