What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - The Heg

Hello all

The dreaded DPF light and message came on today on the Tiguan 14 plate - 65k miles. I'll try the Italian tune up, but I don't expect results from that, as I try and do that every so often anyway.

What's the current thinking about the best way to sort it out? I know HJ used to suggest Terraclean - is this still a thing or am I better off having it replaced? We're looking to keep the car for the medium/long term so I'm more interested in an actual fix that will work rather than a cheap bodge until I can ship it on.

Thanks all

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - Xileno

I would get it looked at by someone familiar with this engine, it might be a fault elsewhere causing the DPF light to come on.

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - elekie&a/c doctor

The warning light has come on because the system has detected a fault. Following the recommended drive cycle may put the light out, if not, then diagnostic needed. Very commonly the dpf pressure sensor fails on these.

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - Gibbo_Wirral

Terraclean won't help a DPF, same with the "Italian tune up". Only removing and cleaning will sort it.

Imagine the DPF on a new car is like a tea mug - at the beginning a rinse under the tap will wash the tea stains. Then over time it gets a little more stained and requires washing up liquid. Then it needs a wipe. Then it needs a scourer. Finally it need bleach before the stains just won't come off at all.

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - Engineer Andy

Terraclean won't help a DPF, same with the "Italian tune up". Only removing and cleaning will sort it.

Imagine the DPF on a new car is like a tea mug - at the beginning a rinse under the tap will wash the tea stains. Then over time it gets a little more stained and requires washing up liquid. Then it needs a wipe. Then it needs a scourer. Finally it need bleach before the stains just won't come off at all.

Nice @nalogy. I wonder what would happen if you put actual bleach in the DPF!

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - bathtub tom

I wonder what would happen if you put bleach in Trump?

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - Crickleymal

I wonder what would happen if you put bleach in Trump?

Oh please do.

VW Tiguan - DPF light/warning - The Heg
Thanks all.
I only suggested the Italian tune up because that’s what the manual suggests.
I’ll get it down to the garage next week, get it plugged in and sorted accordingly.