What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - k8k8d

Good Morning

I'm Hoping someone may be able to help with this .....

A few weeks ago after driving to the shop my car wouldn't start, after an hour it started and I drove home in nipping into the house to get something and back out it wouldn't start again (nothing not turning) Spark plugs, cam sensor & cam sensor were changed and it appeared all ok.

Fast forward a few weeks & now at intermittent periods it wont start it will either
a) attempt to start, makes the trying to start noise then the engine kicks in
OR
b) Tries to start and fails then in starting again it starts 2nd time no problem

This happens at intermittent periods for example I may be at work for 8 hours comes out and either a) or b) happens

In checking it on a ramp leaving it running etc there is nothing visible as the issue

Any advice, experience or fixes would me much appreciated.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - Crickleymal

Did you fit OEM parts or alternative parts? The local garages round here won't fit non OEM parts as they've had them fail off the shelf. The original symptoms sound exactly like my Mercedes Vaneo when the crankshaft sensor failed. They need it for starting but after that it's not always used so they can fail when hot.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - elekie&a/c doctor
Any reason for changing all those parts ,? Was it a guess ?
It was an informed guess as not fault codes appeared on the diagnostic, any ideas ?
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - Adampr

How's the battery?

Battery all ok and was tested
I did use aftermarket parts, it diddnt fail when red hot. Its baffling.
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - elekie&a/c doctor
A more in depth investigation is needed here , otherwise you’re going to be throwing unnecessary parts at this. Modern cars can’t be fixed by guessing.
Sorry I diddnt explain these parts were fitted after a mechanic inspected / hooked on a diagnostic. Its ran for a prolonged time … started. Even he is baffled as am I so we opted to change the most frequently associated parts
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - bathtub tom

I've experienced something similar on an MX5. Turned out to be an under bonnet ECU breaking down when warm.

Just read your original post and I'd check all the battery connections at the battery, earth points, starter, solenoid and fuse box.

Edited by bathtub tom on 14/09/2022 at 22:54

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 ecoFLEX 12V S Euro 5 - Intermittent starting issues - Andrew-T

In the old days one might have suspected a fault in the ignition switch, a relay, or the starter motor ....