Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - tombond

Hi

I thinking to replace soon the coolant in my car, and just wondering if I have to use recommended Honda Coolant Type 2 ? The Honda coolant is not so expensive (about 25 pounds / 5 L), but as the previous owner of Mazda, I have a 5L bottle of high quality genuine Mazda F22 Long Life coolant:

"Mazda FL22 coolant comes as a pre-diluted solution with a 55% concentration. It has a freezing point of -43°C and a boiling point of 132°C. It is a pre-mixed blend with equal parts of water and ethylene glycol. This antifreeze uses top-notch ingredients to deliver the highest level of effectiveness. It is silicate-free, which will prevent damage to the rubber components of the engine."

What do you think, can I replace it with the Mazda F22 or this would be bad idea?

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - Adampr

I believe they are both ethylene glycol so should be OK. Personally, though, I would use the Honda one. I seem to recall mixing the old Toyota red with anything else led emulsification and a big bill...

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - craig-pd130

If the Honda coolant is also silicate-free then it should be fine.

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - tombond

Honda is also silicate free, but is premixed as 50% concentration of ethylene glycol and water. Honda coolant is blue and Mazda coolant is green.

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - paul 1963

I'm just waiting for a certain member to pipe up and say coolant never needs changing but I strongly believe it does, it'll certainly not do any harm, I also suggest you use exactly what is recommended, modern engines are fussy when it comes to fluids ( just my thoughts...please feel free to ignore...)

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - bathtub tom

I looked into modern engine coolants a few years ago, after having ethylene glycol anti freeze 'gel' and block cooling passages on thermo-syphon systems (Austin 7 and the ilk).

Recent stuff is OAT (Organic Acid Technology). There's also IAT (Inorganic Acid Technology) and HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). It's alleged that mixing different types can cause gelling, although all of the above are ethylene glycol based IIRC.

I suggest you read up on the different types and draw your own conclusions.

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - John F

Hi

I thinking to replace soon the coolant in my car.....

What do you think...

If I thought that I think I would dispel the thought. Coolant should last the life of the car. Garages and coolant manufacturers try to blind us with cod science, saying the 'inhibitor goes off', or 'it needs refreshing', or somesuch nonsense. Our 21yr old Focus went to the crusher with its original pink coolant. The only time the coolant in my 42yr old TR7 is replenished is if something occurs to disturb it, e.g. mending a pierced radiator back in the 80s ; replacing a leaky water pump in 2002.

Honda Cr-V 2009 2.0 Petrol - Using different coolant than oem - Andrew-T

<< Coolant should last the life of the car. >>

That's easily said, John, and I agree with the sentiment. But I have seen more than one engine where it was perfectly obvious that coolant wasn't doing that. Most likely that was because of steady losses which had been gradually replaced with plain water.

Admittedly that was some years ago, and I guess that the chemicals in coolant and other components such as head gaskets have probably advanced. But provided that owners are aware enough to monitor the colour in the overflow tank, yes, coolant might last the life of the car. Most of the coolant in my 207SW must be 14 years old and is still blue (it had to be topped up when the cambelt and pump were renewed 4 years ago).

Edited by Andrew-T on 13/09/2022 at 15:03