What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
PSA - EAT6 - Adampr

Any thoughts on these gearboxes? Reliable? Smooth?

PSA - EAT6 - badbusdriver

Never driven one, but being a t/c auto, I'd have no major concerns over reliability or smoothness.

I'd maybe worry that the EAT8 might hunt about, never settling on one gear (but that would probably be an irritation all of these modern auto boxes with too many gears), but the EAT6 should be OK in that respect.

Not 100% sure, but I think they are made by Aisin.

I'm sure John F will offer up some direct experience from his 2008 at some point.

PSA - EAT6 - Terry W

I have a 308 with the EAT8 gearbox.

Generally it is excellent - smooth changes and generally in the right gear matching road conditions. I tend to drive fairly gently - more aggressive drivers may have a different experience.

Occasionally it will fail to change up a gear or two - eg: when going downhill on the overrun it will tend to stay in a low gear as it assumes that with no throttle input you want some engine braking.

It can also respond a little slowly on "kickdown" to select a lower gear when overtaking.

To some extent the flappy paddles can be used to anticipate both these problems. Not an issue from my point of view.

PSA - EAT6 - John F

Reliable?

Very. Aisin's AWF6F25 (and 45), otherwise known as EAT6 (Efficient Automatic Transmission 6 gears) in Peugeots, now superseded by the EAT8, was made in huge quantities between 2005 and 2019, and found all over the world in all sorts of vehicles. Unless worked hard in heavy cars/vans or towing stuff, it requires no fluid changes. In light unstressed cars like our Peugeot 2008 it will probably still be as good as new when the car eventually dies.

Smooth?

Yes. It's of similar design to the ubiquitous 'tiptronic' 6HP box of that other world famous gearbox manufacturer, ZF. It is highly 'intelligent', always finding the 'right' gear. I find the 'kick-down' almost instantaneous in response. It is set up in our 1.2 puretech 130hp to be quite high geared (30mph per 1000revs in 6th), only changing into top gear at around 57mph, so if trundling along a level or downhill road I sometimes snick it manually into 6th. It never allows the engine to labour - even in manual mode it will change down if it doesn't like being in a high gear, and it won't allow you to change up if going too slowly.

PSA - EAT6 - Adampr

Thanks all. My plans to buy a big comfy barge to replace my Toledo in due course have gone south, with my wife having been made redundant, so I'm thinking about cheaper alternatives with a nice auto box. Still, she may well get another job this week...