What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - AdsPal

Hi all,

Need some advice. We are looking at buying a 2012 Skoda Roomster 1.2 TSI. It has 107k miles on the clock and has a full service history.

My question is, is this a safe purchase? Will it likely give us the reliable, inexpensive running we need?

Also, is there anything I should look out for?

Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - SLO76
Earlier TSi petrols like this were known for timing chain failures. Either spend more money to get a later post 2014 example which reverted to a more reliable belt drive with less miles and a full history or buy a simple non-turbocharged petrol Japanese designed model such as a Mazda 3/5/6 Toyota Auris/Avensis or a Honda Civic. I wouldn’t put a great deal of faith in a chain driven TSi motor with 107,000 miles up. It’s one to avoid in my opinion.
Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - Adampr

All things being equal, yes. I have a Seat Toledo with the same 1.2tsi and have no issues with it at all. It's very quiet, pulls well and has not needed any attention in the 3+ years I've had it.

I assume this is a manual car. Don't touch the auto as it's not totally reliable and, more importantly, is crap.

The HJ review states common electrical gremlins in Roomsters, so worth checking that everything, including wipers and windows, works as it should

Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - Adampr

And now I'll add - take SLO's industry view above my personal experience. The earlier 1.2 (including mine) did indeed have a timing chain. The design lifespan is about 100,000 miles, but they have been known to go sooner. It's possible the chain and tensioner have been changed on yours. Was it in the history?

Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - daveyK_UK
I’m not going to claim any specific knowledge of the roomster but when I have previously looked into buying one I recall there being a few too many common issues which put me off.

He owners forum is the best place to get advice on the specific model
Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - strowger

I've just disposed of a 2012 Roomster 1.2 TSI - sadly through insurance write-off.

The 1.2 TSI engine was very amiable and easy to live with, and never gave any hint of trouble. We had the 85bhp version of it - there is a ~105bhp version, which is identical in every respect other than sone software (IIRC you could change from one version to the other by setting a single setting in VCDS, although I never did) - and perhaps is more stressed.

It was moderately economical if driven gently in undemanding conditions. On a long motorway run in warm weather at 60mph I could see 50 genuine MPG (55 on the in-car MPG display). However if driven hard, economy was pretty bad - I often saw 15-25 MPG from short local trips, and driving down the motorway at 80-90 would have you doing 30 MPG. All the economy advantages of the small engine disappear if it's driven hard, and the garden shed aerodynamics hurt at speed.

We enjoyed driving it on trips with children, where it rewarded sedate, pensioner-like driving and felt calm and dependable. On short runs in town, or in a hurry, it was not fun and the gearchange felt clumsy. It was a very useful size and could do the "4 people to the airport with 4 proper size suitcases" job with ease. The badge, shape, and name meant it could be parked anywhere with no worries about whether it would still be there when we got back. Parts were cheap (mostly) and every garage was happy to work on it.

HOWEVER, even before it was crashed & destroyed, I was considering swapping it, because it had got to the annoying stage of life where there was almost always something awaiting attention. Nothing electrical had ever gone wrong, but always there was a suspension/brake/exhaust type problem and as soon as one was resolved, another started up. Prior to this, we had 9 years (bought from new) with zero maintenance other than services once a year, tyres, wiper blades.

With this in mind - I wouldn't choose to get another one at 10 years old.

Skoda Roomster - Used Skoda purchase advice - Manatee

Our 2014 Roomie is a 1.2TSI 105 with DSG, so asking for it really.

It's been no bother, although it only has 35,000 miles on.

I wouldn't buy a second hand DSG. Too easy to abuse by holding on the accelerator, which a lot of auto drivers do habitually.

It's surprisingly agile and does 40mpg on average. It will do that even on short journeys as it warms up very quickly.