What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Elliej100

So I'm looking to get a car - budget around £8k, I'm basically looking for the smoothest ride possible because I've got a head nerve problem. Are there any smallish/medium size cars models that have decent suspension?

I'm in love with the old MK1 Ford fiestas and VW Golfs but I'm not sure they'll be that smooth, is modding the suspension an option in these cars at all?

Any input to either question is incredibly welcome,
Ellie

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - RT

Citroen 2CV has one of the smoothest rides among small cars - French brands have a reputation for that.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - daveyjp

Sensible wheel and tyre sizes is the starting point. Look for something with 55 or 65 profile tyres and you will get that with most basic spec entry level cars, they will also have sensible suspension.

If your head nerve problem is trigeminal neuraligia (TGN) you have my upmost sympathy.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Terry W

I had a Citroen C3 as a hire car last year. It was clearly set up for comfort ahead of responsiveness. Softer seats and softer suspension. Would happily buy one.

I much preferred it to a Seat Ibiza and Vauxhall Corsa (both entirely ok) also hired on an extended break last winter.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Adampr

I'd agree with the above - over the last decade Citroen has refocused on what they used to be known for; comfort above all else.

If you don't mind weird bits of plastic stuck all over it, a C4 Cactus could be ideal.

I suppose I should add that old superminis aren't the daftest idea. Because they're much lighter, they don't thud about nearly as much. Finding a good one for £8k would be tricky, though, and you should bear in mind that cars from the 70s and 80s weren't famed for rust protection, starting when you turned the key, safety, security etc etc

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Andrew-T

.... cars from the 70s and 80s weren't famed for rust protection, starting when you turned the key, safety, security ....

You don't need to go quite that far back. Pug 205s were well regarded for comfort on long trips, and the best ones were made about 1990 before cat converters came in. Sadly most have either disappeared or now cost silly money in the shape of a GTi - unless you find a tatty one and spend doing it up.

.... cars from the 70s and 80s weren't famed for rust protection, starting when you turned the key, safety, security ....

You don't need to go quite that far back. Pug 205s were well regarded for comfort on long trips, and the best ones were made about 1990 before cat converters came in. Sadly most have either disappeared or now cost silly money in the shape of a GTi - unless you find a tatty one and spend doing it up.

There is a 205 Gentry in Autotrader that I have looked at a few times. All the wonders of a 205, with a (detuned) GTi engine, auto transmission and (in this case, tatty) leather seats.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203203755224?a...3

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Andrew-T

<< .... auto transmission and (in this case, tatty) leather seats. >>

I don't think those seats look too bad after 30 years and 50K miles. The bolsters on a 205 with GTi-pattern seats always collapsed unless the owner climbed in and out carefully without crushing the foam. You can pay for a full refurb or you can shove some padding up from underneath ... :-)

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - corax

Hyundai i10 is supposed to have a smooth ride. You could get one on your budget.

Edited by corax on 04/09/2022 at 11:32

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - badbusdriver

I'm in love with the old MK1 Ford fiestas and VW Golfs but I'm not sure they'll be that smooth, is modding the suspension an option in these cars at all?

'Modding' suspension usually means lowering and/or stiffening. Not sure how you could achieve a better ride on an older car other than just making sure the suspension is in good order?. Possibly replacing the springs and shocks with new items from a well respected brand (Bilstein?), also if necessary, swapping the wheels in order to fit tyres with a taller sidewall. However running such a car every day is maybe not the best idea unless you have a nice dry garage to keep it in and are able to maintain (including rust prevention/repairs) and service it yourself. But if you really wanted an older car you'd be better going French as traditionally they have the softest ride.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Mike H

I travelled in an almost new Skoda Fabia back in 2016 that my father had hired. I still remember being very impressed by the ride quality. Never been in a Citroen so can't comment on those.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - SLO76
Best thing to do is to get out there and test drive a few. The Polo and Skoda Fabia are fairly soft, ditto the Pug 208/2008 and Citroen C3. The Citroen Cactus is apparently very softly sprung, but I’ve yet to drive one. I’m not overly trusting of PSA’s products in recent years, but a suppose a well cared for normally aspirated 1.2 petrol can’t be all that risky - though a colleague has a neglected one with around 80,000 miles that sounds terrible.

The driving position of the 208 and 2008 is a bit of an acquired taste though so try before you buy. I found the Mk II Honda Jazz very unsettled on the road but the later Mk III was much improved, these offer excellent reliability and low running costs. Try a Yaris too, they’re impossible to kill. The Fiesta in lower spec 1.25 petrol form is ok and has the added bonus of outstanding handling.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/09/2022 at 23:32

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - skidpan

I travelled in an almost new Skoda Fabia back in 2016 that my father had hired. I still remember being very impressed by the ride quality.

We have owned a Fabia (bought new) since May 2018 and I can assure you its not that simple.

It depends on the spec and higher specs bring with them lower profile tyres which reduce ride comfort.

We bought the 110PS SE-L which has 16" wheels with 215 45 16 tyres as standard. It was that spec we test drove and it seemed perfectly OK for a smaller car but I have driven smoother. Since we wanted the 110 PS engine this was the spec we had to have, personally I would have preferred a higher profile tyre but it was not possible with that engine.

SE spec cars came as standard with 195 55 15 tyres/wheels and when we had one as a service loan car it had a noticeably better ride.

Poverty spec cars with non-turbo engines use 14" wheels with 185 65 14 tyres. On modern pot holed roads they probably have the best ride of the lot.

Just feel sorry for buyers of the Monte Carlo model. They came with 17" 40 profile tyres, totally pointless on a car with a max of 110 PS, Style over substance, they look nice thus must be better.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - badbusdriver

Customer of mine has a current shape Mazda 3, tyres on it are 205/60!. Of course one of them is not going to be had for £8k, even assuming you classed it as 'smallish'!.

Previous version would be within budget and I'm pretty sure they use similar wheel/tyre combo's model for model. But if the 3 is bigger than you want, the Mazda 2 (2015 on) SE and SE-L also has tyres with fairly tall sidewalls, so may be worth consideration.

Smallish car with a smooth ride? - Engineer Andy

I can confirm both Skidpan's and BBD's observations by virtue of my own (old) 2005 build Mazda3 originally having 205/55 R16s fitted and changing the tyres and alloy wheels 4 years ago (due to replace the tyres anyway + corrosion/leakage issues with the then 12yo alloys) to 15in with 195/65 R15 tyres fitted.

I already knew that the ride was a good deal softer (but seemingly without noticeable penalty on handling) because a former workplace pool car was the same model but a lower-spec TS to my TS2 fitted with the same 15in tyres mine now has.

I don't regret doing this, especially as both (and especially) alloys and tyres are a reasonable amount cheaper, helped by both the old and new tyre sizes being amongst the most common around.

The 60 profile tyres BBD mentioned now fitted to the gen3 and 4 Mazda3s are a good compromise between my 16in OEMs and the higher profile 15in ones, having test driven a gen-3 car fitted with them in 2017. The ride on them was fine.

The current generation Mazda2 on the SE-L (Nav / +) spec (same for the base spec SE) comes shod as standard on 185/65 R15 tyres, which should give a decent ride. I drove one (an SE) as a courtesy car for a day a few years ago and I don't recall the ride being firm. Admitedly Mazdas tend to be on the firmer side as reagrds suspension.

The OP may need a VERY soft ride, so best for them to test drive the cars they narrow their list down to in order to see if they fit. Worth taking those test drives on a variety of roads, especially poorly surfaced ones, over speed humps, etc to really given the suspension and tyres a good test.

They may also find that like with mine, a car that otherwise meets their requirements could have the wheels and tyres changed (downsized) if the brakes can take them and the manufacturer allows it. They would need to inform their insurer, though it won't put up the premium, hopefully the opposite.