What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz CVT - JPlum

Hello.

I am a big fan of the Honda Jazz and my 2004 Manual is coming to the end of its life.

We want another Jazz but this time an automatic.

From my research the CVT is the preferred option. However, should I be playing it safe and get a low mileage older model (2007) or go for a newer 2011 with more miles?

Budget is up to £6,000 but given the current climate if the older cheaper option is just as good then would prefer to spend less.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz CVT - elekie&a/c doctor
The Honda cvt gearbox is not without its problems. Early models suffered vibration on take off and when selecting reverse. Partially cured by a fluid change/ upgrade . I would go for a model as late as possible. Face lift variants from around 2008 onwards would be your best choice.
Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz CVT - badbusdriver

When the second generation Jazz came out (circa 2007), the automatic version was an automated manual called the I-Shift. This, like most of that type of transmission, wasn't great and is best avoided. The facelifted second gen car, from circa 2011, used a CVT.

It was a similar story with the Toyota Yaris, where the early car used a smooth and reliable torque converter auto, but second gen cars used an automated manual called (if memory serves) MMT, these also should be avoided. Third generation cars (circa 2011 on) went to a CVT and these are fine.

So if it must be a Jazz automatic, 2011 on (CVT) is your best option, though not sure what your £6k budget will get you.

If you can manage with another make/model, it is very much a minefield, as most makes have at least dabbled with automated manuals (so you need to pick through what to avoid), and some have just stick with them, like VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda).

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz CVT - madf

Pre 2009 Jazz s: rust at rear big style.

Post 2011 cars revised suspension better to drive.Far better rust protection.

CVT very reliable.. (fluid clutch so VERY smooth)

My 2012 has been faultless in 10 years 50k miles

Edited by madf on 01/09/2022 at 13:34

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz CVT - Smileyman

check where the cat is located, you don't want your car to be jacked up & vandalised

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz CVT - SLO76
The Jazz CVT is well liked among the elderly who simply want an easy to drive car, but it’s a pretty horrid thing to drive if you’ve any interest in driver enjoyment. Small autos are less common also so prices are higher and there’s less choice, so unless you absolutely must have an auto I’d stick with the manual. I’d also add others to the search, such as the much nicer to drive and equally reliable Mazda 2 or the utterly bombproof Toyota Yaris 1.33.