What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.8 2013 Advice - Jordster88

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Im on the lookout for a new petrol manual motor after my Zafira 06 has given up the ghost.

After trawling through posts and all of your expertise, I've realised that I need something reliable for the family and that bells and whistles don't mean much to me. Just something realisable for a commute and a coast holiday a year with the family.

Therefore I've settled on wanting to get a Honda Civic, Toyota (Auris or Yaris)

My budget is £7000 and I do 9000 miles a year.

I've seen this Civic - www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208138759949?a...3

Can anyone lend me their thoughts? I know prices are inflated right now, there really aren't many Civics or Toyotas within a 50-100 mile radius.

Is there anything I need to particularly look out for? I've read the Civic 1.8 is better from 2013 onwards. Thanks!

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.8 2013 Advice - badbusdriver

The car you posted a link to looks absolutely fine to me, and the two tyre pics you can see are Bridgestone (as opposed to some cheap Chinese ditchfinder you've never heard of), always a plus point IMO.

MOT history shows nothing of any concern.

Excessive oil consumption does seem to affect 2012 cars, but my worry would be that this car may also be a 2012 car that just wasn't sold/registered till the following year. I wonder if there is some way of narrowing down affected cars through chassis/engine numbers?.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.8 2013 Advice - Oli rag

www.civinfo.com/threads/oil-2012-uk-honda-civic-ex.../

This is the info about piston types on the civinfo forum. The info is found in 9th generation engines and transmissions, where near the bottom of the first page there is a thread on oil consumption.

On page 7 of that thread there is a a picture showing how to find a number on the block which tells of the type of pistons fitted. R1A is the good type and R3A is the type that can have problems with oil consumption as the oil control rings can jam in their groove.

Thanks both for the really helpful information. After reading about the oil consumption issues I'm going to avoid ones with R3A pistons. A lot of Civic users with those are having problems based on reading that thread.

2013 1.8 Civics are few and between in my area so I've been looking further afield.

I've seen the one from the link below. Does it's look OK price point wise? With prices ATM I don't know what's inflated and what's not in relation to mileage.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209029380954?atmobcid=soc3

10/11 services have been at a Honda Dealer, MOT history looks good. Any opinions appreciated before I commit to travelling to view.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.8 2013 Advice - badbusdriver

Difficult to see any body issues on a white car in photos, but it does look mint. And as you have seen, MOT history is all good. So well worth going to view IMO.

Let us know how you get on!

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.8 2013 Advice - Adampr

The seller is obviously a trader working from home. However, it's his company's registered address and he's been trading for seven years. It looks like he went under before that, but he's obviously experienced and now doing OK. Any warranty will be largely worthless so make sure you take your time and check it out properly, but it looks good in the ad.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's about an 90 min journey for me to view. With that in mind, are there any deal-breaker questions you would ask the seller prior to travelling? Sorry to ask but all the cars I've ever bought have been within 10 miles of my doorstep!