What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
(my) Autotrader gems - badbusdriver

I have been spending too much time scouring Autotrader looking at various makes for interesting/unusual/when did you last see one of those cars. Even though this is 'just looking', I have used a £10k upper limit (not made of money!), but here are some stuff which caught my attention for various reasons:

202207207960417 Had to start with SAAB really, first love and all (at least once I'd passed the 'supercar' thing). A turbo would seem a more fitting choice, but this old 'flat front' 900 combines the 2.0 injection 8 valve for 'enough' performance along with a fairly basic spec otherwise, so less to go wrong. I used to prefer the hatchback shape to the saloon, but now I'd be delighted with this plain white 4 door saloon. The Minilight style wheels and old school 'spots' set it off nicely!. Don't think you are losing out on too much practicality going for the saloon either, the rear seats fold completely flat on all classic shape 900's.

202208118673933 Absolutely amazed to find this Toyota Tercel 4x4, really thought none were left!. As far as I recall these used a very basic 4x4 system like an old Subaru where all 4 wheels are engaged, turning at the same speed with no diff's, so you wouldn't use 4x4 on anything other than a slippery surface. But as a child growing up in the Shetland Islands I remember these were a popular choice.

202206206963376 Not overly keen on the white, but I always had a soft spot for the Volvo 480. Myself and a pal went to a motor show (in Shetland, the first AFAIK) and I was drawn to the wedgy lines of the 480. On top of that, having two individual rear seats like the fronts seemed like the best thing since sliced bread!. This turbo automatic seems in very fine fettle, the interior in particular looks like its never been sat in.

202205035291654 Not a Landcruiser, but this old school Nissan Patrol 4.2 (n/a!) diesel is arguably just as tough and would probably survive the end of the world.

202208048483732 Not usually a fan of leather but in the case of this hi spec Renault 5 Monaco, the beige leather along with the metallic brown paint, well it makes the car!. With a garage to keep it, this would make a great distinctive urban runabout.

202205175796223 Always liked the Rover 600 series and this 623 GSI was top of the range bar the turbo. Not mint but not expensive either, you wouldn't be afraid to use it.

202208148776714 Cavaliers used to be everywhere but not any more. This low spec 1.6 Envoy looks pretty much mint, price seems reasonable if the car is as good as it appears. Is that power output right though, 69BHP?

202106013339401 The first gen Ford Focus is rightly lauded as being a game changer, but who remembers the awkward looking saloon?. This 1 owner 2.0 Ghia auto would be comfy and refined, with decent poke and should prove reliable, even now.

202203274008980 This Mazda 626 may be interesting precisely because it is so anonymous!. Only 15k miles though and the pics certainly support the claims of it being immaculate. Comfy, spacious barge that most wouldn't give a second glance to, even the alloys look like wheel trims!.

202102289565951 Not that old, but you don't often see pre facelift B5 Passats these days, certainly not in this condition. 18k miles on that 1.9 turbo diesel(!), decent power and the 6 speed box means this would happily charge along the motorway at the legal limit pulling only around 2000rpm. Maybe I'm just odd, but (apart from ULEZ's) I can't think of any reason I'd have a new Passat over this?. Also helps that I always liked this shape Passat, handsome car, but subtle about it.

202207318313381 The GTI is the darling of the Peugeot 205 range, but I'd rather have this 1.8GLD!. I'd want that sill given a good looking at (along with the rest of the underside), but seems decent enough condition otherwise. That diesel lump certainly shouldn't give you any concern!.

202207228032982 Always fancied a Fiat Cinquento Sport in either yellow or blue. Sadly, the price and extremely low miles on this would make me reluctant to use and enjoy it!.

(my) Autotrader gems - nellyjak

agree about the Saab...one of my (few) all time fave makers.

Loved my Saab.

The Patrol looks tidy too.

agree about the Saab...one of my (few) all time fave makers.

Loved my Saab.

I've had four over the years, two 99's ('79 and '84, both 2.0 carb) and two 900's (both 2.0 injection, an '80 GLE and an '82 GLI). Loved them all apart from the younger 99 which felt sluggish compared to the earlier car despite (on paper) the same power output and an extra gear. Nearly bought an '84 900 turbo (TRX alloys!), but the insurance would have just been too much for me at the age of 22!.

(my) Autotrader gems - Adampr

Great selection. You can keep the Focus and the Cav, have everything else sent to my rooms immediately.

(my) Autotrader gems - elekie&a/c doctor
Focus saloon very popular in the US where the hatchbacks were 3 door . Fiesta saloon also popular there and South America. Never marketed in Europe.

Focus saloon very popular in the US where the hatchbacks were 3 door

Yes, ironically (given the animosity both currently and historically) Russian drivers also very much favour the saloon body over the hatch.

Fiesta saloon also popular there and South America. Never marketed in Europe.

I did also come across a Skoda Fabia saloon on my Autotrader searches, remember them?!. Also, while in Majorca (on my honeymoon 22 years ago) I saw a Renault 7, a car whose existence I was completely oblivious to, it was the saloon version of the 1st gen Renault 5.

(my) Autotrader gems - Will deBeast

Gosh that rover has done so few miles. Nothing that nasty on the MOT history. Good spot!

Gosh that rover has done so few miles. Nothing that nasty on the MOT history. Good spot!

Have to confess, I didn't look at any MOT histories as a purchase is not on the cards. Maybe some time though!.

(my) Autotrader gems - SLO76
Thanks for that wee trip down memory lane. I’ve driven and flogged most of that list, other than the Tercel which was a rare thing even when new. I loved the Saab 900, weirdly I preferred the lazy softer riding nature of the non-turbo cars myself, I nearly bought a 1992-K 900i XS 16v 3dr I took in part-ex when I was working as a salesman but i couldn’t justify it when I had a company motor.

I also had a fondness for the Volvo 480, even though I know it wasn’t a particularly good car. The Renault engines were reliable enough but they rusted and the electrics were poor. Later cars were better. The turbo wasn’t worth the extra money as it had only around 12bhp more than the ES.

The Mazda 626 of this gen was a good family car. Brilliant engine loved to rev and despite the slightly sporty looks they were a comfy big sponge on the road. The 2.5 V6 GT was the one you wanted, they also did a weird 2.0 supercharged diesel that no one bought.

The 205 diesels we took in never sat for long, even the tatty 120,000 mile example I ran for a while. The trim would rattle and squeak but they’d run and run and run. I’ve seen them with 250k upwards under the belt and still going. Best small diesel of its time, though the post facelift Citroen AX ran it close in my opinion. Another car I liked.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/08/2022 at 21:28

(my) Autotrader gems - craig-pd130

The Passat looks to be in excellent nick. I had a 2003 facelift PD130 with the 6-speed manual and it was a fantastic car. Yes, the engine was gruff and grumbly, but the throttle response and torque delivery was fantastic, partially because the car was unencumbered by excessive emissions systems, and partially because they're surprisingly light for their size. This meant it was very quick on A-roads as overtaking punch was strong.

This also made for excellent economy: on 400 mile motorway trips cruising at 85mph it would return 55mpg at the pumps.

(my) Autotrader gems - Xileno

I would have the Tercel, if only because they are so rare now. Only seven left apparently. Great engine layout, look how easy to get to things, cambelt etc. Maths teacher at school had one new, can't think now why he would have needed 4x4, unless to tow a large trailer of blackboard chalk. He used to get through quite bit hurling it at anyone who didn't pay attention.

(my) Autotrader gems - edlithgow

Nothing against the car itself, and no experience to back it up, but I have trouble believing those front "mouse bars" cantilevered out from the underbody of the Patrol, would do anything useful.

In Australia, where they might have had to do something useful, they were generally a lot more robust and better supported, sometimes going as far as a complete external body cage.

That wouldn't be legal here in Taiwan. Dunno about the UK.

Nothing against the car itself, and no experience to back it up, but I have trouble believing those front "mouse bars" cantilevered out from the underbody of the Patrol, would do anything useful.

You could say that about the majority of 'bull bars', certainly the kind fitted in the UK.

I remember reading something in a book on off-roading which went something along these lines, "if you have the choice between buying a bull bar or side bars, buy a sump guard, it is far more useful off road"!.

That wouldn't be legal here in Taiwan. Dunno about the UK.

Presumably they are not illegal here, seeing as the Patrol has them fitted and is MOT'd for a year. But they are much less common now than they once were, probably because the design of modern SUV's don't really lend themselves to a bull bar, but also because of the potential for serious injury (even at a low speed) to any pedestrian should you hit them.

Never been a fan of the bull bar myself anyway. I remember valeting an early Vauxhall Frontera Sport, during which I removed the bull bar and side bar/steps for refurbishment. I told the owner (who I did know because he drove part time for the garage) I thought the car looked better without them, but he didn't agree!

(my) Autotrader gems - Steveieb

Really surprised how dear the Passat is considering it’s an X reg. But that PD engine is brilliant. Remember how shocked I was with the performance when I drove a B5 after jumping out of my Mk 6 Golf

And wonder if the aircon still works as this has been an epic journey for me to get mine sorted on my A4 because of the damage that the internal clutch can cause if it gives way.

And what condition will the brakes be in if it has done so few miles.

(my) Autotrader gems - Steveieb

Also noticed that a previous MOT reported accident damage to the front of the car