What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - Tester

On motorway trips, from time to time one comes across messages on the matrix signs like, 'Obstruction reported' or 'Pedestrians in road', often with a speed restriction if it's a smart motorway. Now, I'm not bothered by having to slow down for a while, but I've never actually seen an obstruction or the mythical pedestrians. Does anyone know how these alleged obstructions, etc., get reported and by whom, and how it is decided to clear the warnings and restrictions?

Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - Adampr

I think they do it just to make you pay attention. Whenever I see them, I start scanning to road obsessively. I am also yet to spot anything.

Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - daveyjp

If you consider how a call may come in. Either someone sees something from a vehicle, or a CCTV operator may be alerted to something. CCTV is probably straightforwards as there will be direct links to Highway Officers and police.

If a call comes in from a motorist getting the exact location can take a while. Which motorway? Whch carriageway? Which junction are you near? Where did you see the problem? All have to be answered before anyone can be dispatched. If someone calls in hands free and continues to drive they could be a long way from where they saw the problem.

Whoever is dispatched then has to try and find the obstruction (generally easy as they tend not to move), get a plan for removing it and then go about removing it. In my mosts recent case it was a large wheel and tyre in lane two/three of a four lane, so the traffic all had to be moved to lane 4, then work could start to move it.

In case of pedestrians on the carriageway they move! Whoever is dispatched needs to confirm there is someone, if possible find them, considering they may have wandered off the carriageway and could be on an embankment, they could be vulnerable, suicidal etc etc. Until a search has taken place, the person found, or it is decided they have left the area the warning needs to remain in place.

Edited by daveyjp on 24/08/2022 at 11:17

Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - Tester

Thanks daveyjp, that's all most interesting. Like I say, it doesn't bother me and I appreciate the challenges of doing something about such reports (which can't be ignored, of course, even if you are pretty sure that 'it' won't be there anymore) -- I was just curious about the whole process. I didn't mean to suggest that it is done just to be annoying!

Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - alan1302

I think they do it just to make you pay attention.

Doesn't seem to work!

Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - Bromptonaut

As already stated, while stuff observed on CCTV in the control room can be exact a report of cows on the M25 from a driver can be harder to pin down. Even the terminology for the carriageways varies; clockwise or anti/counter clockwise? inner or outer?. The section either side of the junctions before/after Dartford crossings isn't motorway.

Unless people reporting are aware of the kilometre posts then location is tied to junctions or landmarks.

To me the M6 is north/south but there's a section near Rugby where it's described as east/west.

Pedestrians or cyclists move and access is not limited to the numbered junctions.

I see things like debris, breakdowns or Traffic Officers working on the edge of the carriageway with bits that have dropped off cars or lorries often enough to take the matrix signs seriously and up my observation.

Any - Matrix signs - 'Obstruction reported' - edlithgow

After typhoon Morakot there were matrix signs lying on the carriageways, but I dunno if the survivors warned about them, since here The Matrix is in Chinese.

Might have involved too much Loss of Face