What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga and Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto query - macbook

Which of these two cars would you choose ?

1. Suzuki Vitara 2017 1.6 SZ-T -- £12,830

Millage: 29,272 miles

Gearbox: Aisin AWTF-80 SC 6-speed automatic transmission

2. Ford Kuga 2016 1.5L EcoBoost -- £13,000

Millage: 19,784 miles

Gearbox: Ford 6-speed automatic transmission (I think it's called Select Shift)

Suzuki Pros: overall reliability, Aisin known for making reliable gearboxes, good mpg

Ford Pros: Overall larger and more equipped than Suzuki

[slight amendment to subject header to merge the threads - mod]

Edited by Xileno on 25/08/2022 at 19:21

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - Adampr

The Suzuki. Both the engine and gearbox in the Ford are suspect.

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - Ethan Edwards

This is a better Vitara.

www.clarksofkidderminster.co.uk/used-cars/suzuki-v...l

The 1.4t engine is just better.

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - elekie&a/c doctor
Different types of car . My wife has a Vitara . It’s a functional no frills vehicle with proven mechanical bits . Fuel economy with the 1.6 petrol is generally 45 mpg + . It’s very lightweight in construction, weighing not much more than a Fiesta . The Kuga has better quality build materials and more gizmos, but the Ecoboost engine and the power shift gear box are both fragile.
Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - macbook

I try find something below 10k with automatic gearbox, but max 7 years old, but this is not easy.

I found Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6 2017 6 speed auto with 21k millage for £9,500. However I'm little skeptical about quality of this brand ? Are they worth they money, or should I avoid it ?

Also considering Peugeot 2008 2015 1.2 e-VTi (gearbox: 5 Speed EGC)

or Peugeot 2008 2014 1.6 VTi (4 Speed Auto).

Both cost below 9K with millage up to 50k miles.

Any advice about that cars? Which one would you choose or avoid ?

Edited by macbook on 21/08/2022 at 23:49

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - Adampr

I'd be quite confident in the Ssangyong. It may even still be in warranty. Ideally, you'd have a Ssangyong dealer nearby to service it. I think Tivolis are fairly small, though, so have a good look first

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - paul 1963

I've got a vitara, 1.4 turbo mild hybrid, absolutely love it, comfortable,well equipped, getting around 49mpg on average, you really need to take a test drive .

The Ssangyong may be a good punt but only if you intend to keep it long term as they lose value very quickly.

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - badbusdriver

Ford Pros: Overall larger and more equipped than Suzuki

The Kuga being larger is only a pro if you need the extra size. If you do, then clearly you should buy a bigger car than the Vitara (but not a Kuga auto). I'd also dispute that the Kuga is better equipped, which depends on which trim you are looking at. Top of the range Vitara is very well equipped indeed.

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - SLO76
If you want a reliable small SUV then shortlist the following along with the Suzuki Vitara.

Mazda CX3 2.0 Skyactiv Auto
Honda HRV 1.5 CVT
Toyota CHZ 1.8 Hybrid

I’d forget the Ford due to the woefully unreliable Powershift gearbox and the Peugeot’s have too many engine related problems to recommend despite being quite pleasant little cars to drive and sit in.
Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - Engineer Andy

Even as a Mazda fan (and owner), the main downside of the CX-3 is the lack of interior space. Essentially it's no bigger inside than a Mazda2 of the same era.

Boot space is ok at around 360L but only if it doesn't come with either the (optional extra, expensive) space saver spare well/tyre or (occupying the same space under the main part of the boot) the upgraded ICE in Sport models. That reduces available boot space down by around 60L to about 290L.

When I test drove a new one and a Mazda3 back in ealry 2017, the CX-30 was nice to drive but in my view didn't merit the (even then) hefty price tag, bearly cheaper than the bigger Mazda3.

Hopefully the A/C issues (see Good & Bad on the HJ review) have been resolved. Otherwise a decent car, especially (as I tested) the smooth auto that, even when new and not fully worn in, managed 40mpg average.

Nowadays I'd probably go for the CX-30 because it brings the benefits of the best of both cars, but it's out of my price range and certainly the OP's as it's only been available since 2019.

Wondering whether the Pug 2008/3008 with its 1.2T engine and reliable / smooth Aisin TC auto box might be worthwhile, or are the reliability issues, especially with the Puretech engines taking the edge off their worthiness?

Suzuki Vitara vs Ford Kuga - Hugh Watt

I believe there's just one issue with the Puretech engine - the crumbling drive belts. And that seems to have been addressed (and seemingly fixed) since around 2017. But as with the early versions of the Ford small turbo, mud does seem to stick!

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - macbook

Hi,

I have to forget about other SUV s, like Vitara, or Honda CR-V, as my wife don't likes them. However she very likes Mazda CX-5.

Is any one know, if there was a change in AT for Mazda CX-5 I generation (2012-2017). I noticed that for models 2012 & 2013 the gearbox inside the car looks different than the models from 2014, so wondering if the put different gearbox ?

I have tried to find info about the AT in CX-5, and I found they put their new developed own Mazda gearboxes according with the Sky Active technology.

What is the about reliability and performance of this new Mazda gearboxes and 2.2 diesel Sky Active engines ? Is there any major problems with that models ? Would you recommend it ?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by macbook on 23/08/2022 at 22:22

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - Adampr

The petrol CX-5 has a much better reputation than the diesel. Don't know about the autobox, but I think it's one of the better ones.

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - macbook

The problem is, I could not find any CX-5 petrol engine with AT for I generation. It look like Mazda match the AT only with diesel engine before 2018 models?

I think I will try to convince my wife to CR-V 2.0 petrol with AT.

Edited by macbook on 23/08/2022 at 23:25

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - badbusdriver

The problem is, I could not find any CX-5 petrol engine with AT for I generation.

Not sure that's a good reason to run the gauntlet with a diesel version!

:-0

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - London calling

I had a 2010 diesel Mazda CX-7 (lovely car) but had major problems with DPF and oil contamination with diesel. They may have changed the design on newer models but worth checking especially If you don’t do a lot of mileag…

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - Engineer Andy

Hi,

I have to forget about other SUV s, like Vitara, or Honda CR-V, as my wife don't likes them. However she very likes Mazda CX-5.

Is any one know, if there was a change in AT for Mazda CX-5 I generation (2012-2017). I noticed that for models 2012 & 2013 the gearbox inside the car looks different than the models from 2014, so wondering if the put different gearbox ?

I have tried to find info about the AT in CX-5, and I found they put their new developed own Mazda gearboxes according with the Sky Active technology.

What is the about reliability and performance of this new Mazda gearboxes and 2.2 diesel Sky Active engines ? Is there any major problems with that models ? Would you recommend it ?

Thank you for your help!

As far as I know, there haven't been any reliability problems with Mazda's own TC auto boxes, whether those mated to the older cars when tied up with Ford or later on when they weren't and with the Skyactiv engines. Like all TC boxes, they do decrease mpg by about 5-10% and reduce available power more than DCTs or CVTs, but they aren't that bad in this regard.

From testing a 2L petrol CX-3 with an auto box, performance was reasonable (it will be a bit less so with the larger CX-5 even where the 2L engine has been remapped to give more power), but it is still fine for most people and the gearbox is very smooth. They work very well in heavy traffic.

Whilst the earlier model CX-5s were only diesel when mated to the auto box, the reliability issues were to do with the engine and how the car was used (short trips from cold, urban work) and not the gearbox. Later models had the petrol engine mated to the auto box as well and thus is far more suitable for urban work/short trips.

Unless you have full knowledge of the driving pattern of all previous owners (which is highly unlikely), I'd avoid the 2.2TD because it could have lots of expensive problems waiting to happen. Having a full service history and clean MOT record cannot guarantee the (2.2TD) car will be fault free on the engine side either.

Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel Auto - Mazda CX-5 - gearbox info ? - Ethan Edwards

Your wife doesn't like the Vitara? That's a shame as I do know that one in Kidderminster. It's the one I p/x'd here in Essex and I had it from new. 28k miles all up and down the A12 it's led a very pampered existence.