What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Fabia Estate - Second Hand Car Recommendations - NotAMaestro

Hi, I'm looking to buy a car with a few wants/needs: as low insurance as possible, good MPG (ideally 50+), can easily fit roof racks to, reasonably large boot, preferably not much more than 10 years old and less than 100k miles. I'd really like a 2012/13 Skoda Fabia Greenline II estate, but all decent ones in my area (Peak District) are a little over my budget (~£5k+, as opposed to £4k), and was wondering if anyone had some insights or advice on alternatives, or if I should try further afield or what.

Thanks in advance.

Skoda Fabia Estate - Second Hand Car Recommendations - badbusdriver

How many miles do you expect to cover per year?

Skoda Fabia Estate - Second Hand Car Recommendations - SLO76
It’s not a car I’d recommend at this money, in fact I wouldn’t recommend any diesels at all here, least of all anything from the VAG group which don’t have a great reputation in recent years. There’s much more that can and will go wrong with a Diesel engine, they really make no economic sense at this age and money. I advise looking at something else and I say that as someone who owned this cars close relative, a Polo 1.2 TDi Match for 5yrs.

I liked the wee car but it was starting to regularly cost money and the rust was into the sills which is a common problem with VW products of this era. I notice also that my 2012 87,000 mile example has never been Mot’d or taxed again so it was either written-off or suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure shortly after leaving my company.

The three words to remember when buying a cheap used car are, keep it simple. Forget turbo diesels, leave prestige brands or performance cars. Focus instead on simple petrol engined mass produced cars that are robust and simple to repair. Cars like the following, all in petrol spec.

Honda Jazz/Civic
Mazda 2/3
Toyota Yaris/Auris
Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 (leave the 1.0 ecoboost and Powershift auto)
Ford Focus 1.6
Vauxhall Astra 1.6

Edited by SLO76 on 15/08/2022 at 20:28

Skoda Fabia Estate - Second Hand Car Recommendations - Adampr

I have no issue with the recommendations above, but would possibly add the Seat Toledo / Skoda Rapid. They don't look very exciting and are a bit dull to drive, but the boot is enormous, interior is very tough and they are fairly well equipped (cruise control, climate control, heated mirrors etc).

I have a Toledo and, whilst I can't pretend to be thrilled to drive it, I am always amazed how competent it is when I do so. I've had no problems with it and it's cheap to buy and run. In fact, given it's a stretched Ibiza (essentially), it may well be much the same as a Fabia Estate under the skin.

I'm not selling, but I would expect to get about £4k for mine (2013, 60,000 miles).

Skoda Fabia Estate - Second Hand Car Recommendations - Adampr

I should add, mine is the 1.2 TSI (petrol). MPG is 45-50, with a lot of motorway work, so petrol will probably do for you.

Skoda Fabia Estate - Second Hand Car Recommendations - Smileyman

I was going to make the same suggestion, the Toledo is probably going to have more toys for your money (depends on individual vehicle).

I'm driving a 1.0 petrol car, getting say 57 mpg mixed commuting 40 miles each journey including motorways. Massive boot in the saloon type not the hatchback type car.

Edited by Smileyman on 16/08/2022 at 23:06