Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - Dingle232

I have always wanted a Mini as a fun 2nd car - that's all it would be used for, generally at the weekends and enjoying the drive. As such then I don't want to spend the earth on one but wondered if anyone with either experience of them or in the trade (where are you SLO76?) could advise on what may be ok and what is worth avoiding.

I am probably looking at pre 2013 Cooper S, so the1.6 petrol with 173ish BHP as I understand that the 2.0 engines were only for post 2013 models. Ideally I would have liked an auto but something tells me that's worth avoiding given the age of the car.

I have seen a couple available that look nice with under 30k miles, FSH and generally look tidy but having never owned one before I'd rather do some research before taking the plunge. These seem to be going for between £6k and £8k ish.

Any advice and guidance would be very welcome. Thank you.

Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - Adampr

I would go for pre-2006 or post-2013. The second generation (2006-13) used the infamous Prince engine, which is why they're always cheap!

And, if you go for a Cooper S, listen carefully for any issues with the supercharger and, ideally, see if you can find one with a Mini service history

Edited by Adampr on 11/08/2022 at 20:56

That's exactly the type of advice I am after thank you - I didn't know that and a quick Google reveals a litany of issues with those so definitely to be avoided. I take it the post 2013, 2 litre engines are more reliable?

I would only go for one with a full Mini history.

They certainly don't have as bad a reputation as the Prince, but I'm afraid I don't know. I've had three Minis: a 2001 1.6 One, a 2009 1.6 Clubman Cooper D and a 2010 1.4 One (not recommended). If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest test driving a One before you look at a Cooper S. It still feels quick and handles beautifully. If you just want fun, it could be what you're after without the expense of going to the top of the range.

Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - elekie&a/c doctor
Best of the bunch is the r53 with the supercharger engine . However, you’re looking at cars that are at least 15 years old . Finding a good one is not impossible, but will need a lot of searching. I suggest you drive one first . The ride is very hard on the standard run flats . I wouldn’t entertain the later models with the Peugeot engine. Far too unreliable.
Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - SLO76
Hi!
I get the appeal, these are good fun to drive. Sadly however, they don’t have a great reputation for reliability. The 1.6 VTi PSA petrol motor is best avoided, they’re terrible for timing chain failures and the turbocharged versions seem worse than lesser models here. It’s worth paying more for the 2.0 BMW motor, and I haven’t personally heard of much trouble with the later 4cyl 2.0 unit but as with any used Mini or BMW, expect that your wallet will be exercised regularly. I’d leave the auto myself, it kinda takes the fun out of a Cooper S and limits your choice and I’d certainly avoid the later DCT automated manual but I’m sure they started in 2018 so should be out of budget.

If I were looking for a small fun hatch I’d probably be veering towards a standard, unmolested full history Ford Fiesta 1.6 ST or a Suzuki Swift Sport. Both are fun and generally robust. I do enjoy stealing my managers Mini Cooper SD for an occasional (long way round) scoot between depots, but I wouldn’t buy one unless it had a perfect service history and everything was 100%. Pay extra for a good car and avoid that 1.6 petrol. An early Supercharged Cooper S R53 with the Chrysler 1.6 motor was a real hoot on the road (loads of low speed pull) but finding one even worth looking at these days is almost impossible. Most are messed with rot boxes or they’ve lunched their gearbox.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/08/2022 at 08:11

Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - nellyjak

I'd be very wary of any Mini and, as SLO suggests,would be far more inclined to seek out a Suzuki Swift Sport instead.

Thanks SLO that's helpful. I am going to take my time and plan to buy when I find the right one in the next 6 months or so but after reading your comments I'll probably up my budget and buy a slightly newer one. I have seen a couple around the £12k mark on 15 - 17 plates but that would have the BMW motor and more likely to have a full history. That's pushing it to the limit of being a serious rather than fun purchase but, equally, I don't want to buy trouble then end up spending the difference on repairs.

Argument has started with the Mrs (who yesterday was telling me it was a stupid idea) who has now seen a convertible one out and about today and wants one of those :-).

Argument has started with the Mrs (who yesterday was telling me it was a stupid idea) who has now seen a convertible one out and about today and wants one of those :-).

You might as well. All the concerns around practicality and rational behaviour kind of out of the window with a Mini.

Wait until November and a convertible won't cost much more than a hatch.

Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - Manatee

Well you had me hooked until I realised you wanted a MINI, not a Mini.

The last Mini I had was a '61 Cooper. I still think Minis (and MINIs for that matter) look best in red with a white roof.

Not really sure what the difference is but am after a Mini whether that's Mini or MINI. Am already enjoying the search even though not an imminent purchase.

Edited by Dingle232 on 12/08/2022 at 21:47

A Mini is the good for its time unreliable deathtrap made by Morris. A MINI is the modern one. It's just someone trying to make a point. Why? No idea

Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - badbusdriver

A Mini is the good for its time unreliable deathtrap made by Morris. A MINI is the modern one. It's just someone trying to make a point. Why? No idea

I don't know what Manatee's issue with the Mini is, but mine is very simple. The Mini was first and foremost an exercise in packaging, to get the maximum amount of interior space into a 10' car. That was its whole point, the fact that it also handled brilliant was just a happy accident.

So to me, the MINI was (and still is) a means by BMW to exploit and profit from the love and affection folk had for the image of the Mini while completely ignoring the reasoning behind it. It may drive brilliant but it isn't particularly small and its packaging is woeful. Granted, modern safety standards means that getting quite so much interior space from a 10' long car isn't possible, but even for the time the MINI is poorly packaged.

I'd imaging Alec Issigonis was turning in his grave at the MINI!.

You call the MINI, "the modern one". I'd say the closest car to being a 'modern one', in terms of how it was designed and what for, is the Toyota IQ.

If looking for a small fun car with the OP's budget, I'd be looking at an original Fiesta ST, the n.a 2.0 version.

All true, I was just making the distinction clear.

I don't know that the newer Mini is really about exploiting the image of the old one. Maybe initially, but the big draw for me (and possibly why people routinely ignore Fiestas and Swifts as the alternative) is the interior. Because it's designed from the outset as a niche car, rather than a mainstream hatch with frills, there is no temptation (and no financial incentive) to stick with the same grey plastic and put a badge on it. It feels like something worth paying a premium for.

I saw "older" and Mini. A Mini was what I imagined. I don't suppose I had to mention it. Sorry.

I feel bad now. Sorry, I was probably a bit over-excited.

I feel bad now. Sorry, I was probably a bit over-excited.

No need, it can be annoying when people post to say they have nothing to say! And in fairness, a lot of people now refer to Minis as "classic Minis" to distinguish them from the BMW product.

The old Mini was very crude but revolutionary in its day, and a real joy to drive. It didn't really improve much with later 'enhancements'. Probably the first truly classless car, and massively influential.

My second Mini was a Wolseley Hornet, a laughable creation with vestigial tail fins, leather upholstery and a sham vertically oriented radiator grille.

The MINI is in a different category in almost every way. In general I like these 'retro' re-creations of classics. I still don't know much about MINIs but I've learnt a lot from this thread.

My fun car is an MX-5 which will be taking me to Austria is a few weeks (if spared). Does the OP need the extra seats?

Not really Manatee but I must confess that I have pretty much set my heart on a Mini at some point. I have seen a specific one that I like but, alas, way too far out of budget at the moment and as it will be an indulgence rather than a necessity I have to be sensible :-)

Mini Cooper S - Older Purchase Advice - Andrew-T

<< .... (if spared) ... >>

Is that you, or the MX-5 ? :-))

<< .... (if spared) ... >>

Is that you, or the MX-5 ? :-))

Both, naturally!

It doesn't do to count one's chickens before they hatch.