What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
cycle lanes - barney100

Just come back from a week's cruise to Spain and France and I was impressed with the way they have separate cycle and pedestrian lanes off the main roads. No making the roads narrower by painting a few lines but every one had their own dedicated lanes. I guess they have so much more space than us anyway being much larger countries so it's much easier.

cycle lanes - badbusdriver

Yes, it may be easier with more space, but it still needs politicians to make the decisions to spend money on it. Denmark and the Netherlands aren't that big though, so I think attitudes towards cycling are as much to do with it as space and money.

cycle lanes - Cris_on_the_gas

Agree the standard of cycle lanes and footpaths is much better in Europe than UK. I guess the UK Government does not see this as a priority. Seems like the latest 2 competing for Prime Minister post seem more intent on cutting taxes rather than improving the infrastructure of this country.

cycle lanes - Manatee

Seems like the latest 2 competing for Prime Minister post seem more intent on cutting taxes rather than improving the infrastructure of this country.

I think that every time I hear promises of tax cuts. One of the jobs of government is to do things for the country and the people. "Low tax" as a policy is just a way of saying "do as little as possible". Cycle lanes aside, the local roads aren't fit to ride on.

cycle lanes - Engineer Andy

Seems like the latest 2 competing for Prime Minister post seem more intent on cutting taxes rather than improving the infrastructure of this country.

I think that every time I hear promises of tax cuts. One of the jobs of government is to do things for the country and the people. "Low tax" as a policy is just a way of saying "do as little as possible". Cycle lanes aside, the local roads aren't fit to ride on.

My county council (not uncommon eslewhere either, it seems) has often spent unwisely on roads, often needing to re-resurafce within short order because they didn't attend to underlying problems or virtue-signalled (like many do nowadays) in putting up loads of signs, re-jigging junctions, etc, etc that do nothing for safety - sometimes making it worse.

Many councils (a certain neighbouring one as a prime example) spend fortunes on whiz-bang schemes that rarely do any good or present good value for the huge sums spent.

We should be careful about pretending that 'more money' mean good. Spending a reasonable amount wisely is far better.

What doesn't help is the 'political cycle' (pardon the pun) which encourages short-termism and policies at national level that mean govt departments and city/county councils cannot adequately plan for the long term or cannot keep up (including financially) with the changes that affect them.

cycle lanes - Sparrow

I think there has been much more focus in Europe on cycling, pedestrians and public transport than here. It is good for the environment and more healty. Our politicians talk about this too, but seems to be more talk than much happening. Painting white lines on the road does not make a safe cycling lane, but we have done a lot of it here.

Cycling in Germany, Holland and Denmark, feels much safer than it does here, and seems to be common among a much wider group of people than here.

Whilst a lot of councils pay lip service by reducing existing road widths and painting wide dividing line (and rarely sweep the roads so cyclist have to run the gauntlet of both other road users or getting flat tyres or blowouts, those councils that do build more purpose-made cycle lanes often waste fortunes on them.

I suspect part of that is the ultra-high cost of purchasing land / legal hurdles, but aren't the only ones. I remember that 'cycle-friendly' roundabout in Cambridge costing £2.3M (original budget still a staggering £800k).

Like with our railways network, our roads were never really designed to cope with modern life and, unlike a good portion of Europe, we didn't have the benefit from a large land mass compared to our population size and / or the ability to almost completely rebuild our cities after WWII.

Most British urban areas are still based on their chaotic medieval road layout, which is nigh-on impossible to change at a reasonable cost (the same space issues apply to bus lanes) and even those few 'New Towns' that do have far more purpose-made cycle lanes (like Stevenage) are often not exactly nice places to be in most other respects, mainly due to the post war bad town planning and architecture.

cycle lanes - SLO76
It’s the willingness to act and the need to legislate to allow the purchase of small amounts of largely unused land along the edge of roads at sensible money. In Scotland there’s loads of land compared to the population and no excuse for not having plenty of good quality safe cycling lanes. But it must come with strong legislation to enforce their use and maintenance, many are utterly neglected by local authorities. I’m fortunate enough to live in an area that is well served with cycle paths and lanes, but every time I’m on one I’ll pass (or be passed by) some selfish m**** who’s holding up traffic on the busy main road it’s next to. If a cycle lane exists and a cyclist is found on the road they should be hit with an instant £100 fine. I’m all for encouraging cycling but not at the expense of road safety and interference with public transport which is often delayed because of selfish cyclists.
cycle lanes - Adampr

Sadly, people often don't use separate cycle lanes because they're in terrible shape, or covered in dog mess, glass and gravel.

It should be a national embarrassment (not just regarding cycle lanes) that we have such incredibly poor transport infrastructure and don't invest in it.

The fact that the NHS has been made completely unusable, the roads are knackered, there are not enough homes, schools are packed, universities are only for rich Chinese kids etc etc really suggests that our public sector is much too small and we need to be collecting more tax and spending it to fix stuff.

However, we are about to get either a posh kid or a crazy lady as Prime Minister for ankther couple of years and, judging on past form, they will probably tax less, spend less and carry on the cycle

cycle lanes - Crickleymal

They are putting in a cycle path between Gloucester and Cheltenham alongside the old B road connecting the two. It's made the road considerably narrower even though it's a shared footpath/cycle path. They've also reduced the speed limit to 30 although I'm hoping it's temporary but given how narrow the road is now I'm not expecting it. Plus the cycle path has people's driveways at the side so it's almost certain at some point someone will be knocked off by a car trying to emerge from the drive.

And it's costing millions.

cycle lanes - dan86

They put in a cycle lane in Greenwich that is wider than a bus lane and segregated it with bollards, in doing so they made the road so narrow if to busses or lorries go past eachother their wing mirrors are nearly touching. This is on an already very busy strech of road and has made it worse because turning in to the side roads you now have to look for what coming in 4 different lanes. Also the emergency services have complained to TFl as they can't get through the traffic as theirs no where for the vehicles to move out of the way. On top of this hardly any cyclists use it, it was a complete waste of money by TFL and not thought out or planned properly

cycle lanes - RJ414i

A road near me had the white line cycle lane added, trouble was it should of had the pot holes sorted first. If you travelled it on a bike after dark you'd be off in no time, it's bad enough during daylight.

Also another road had the lines put down only to stop on a busy junction where you most need it!!

All very half hearted, thank you Gloucestershire County Council.

cycle lanes - De Sisti
It’s the willingness to act and the need to legislate to allow the purchase of small amounts
If a cycle lane exists and a cyclist is found on the road they should be hit with an instant £100 fine. I’m all for encouraging cycling but not at the expense of road safety and interference with public transport which is often delayed because of selfish cyclists.

Nothing wrong with cyclists on the roads. It's selfish motorists who should be fined and dealt with harshly when they cause carnage on the road and park in the totally inadequate "cycle lanes" the the country has. I image that those calling for cyclists to be punished will not doubt say that "they are cyclists too".

Who will enforce such fines if terrible driving behaviour is going unpunished? Drivers just need to be patient and not want to get from A to B at breakneck speed. Just need to calm down.

cycle lanes - SLO76
“ Nothing wrong with cyclists on the roads. It's selfish motorists who should be fined and dealt with harshly when they cause carnage on the road and park in the totally inadequate "cycle lanes" the the country has.”

Bad driving and parking are both already punishable by fines and points and in my area parking in cycle lanes is not a major issue I’ve encountered as a keen cyclist. However as both a car and a large vehicle driver I’m often stunned by the idiocy and ignorance of cyclists who are oblivious to their surroundings and who simply refuse to use the perfectly decent local cycle paths or who won’t move out of the road on the tight B roads I often have to take 40ft buses down. I’ll move out of the way as soon as it’s possible to do so on my bike but I’m noticing more and more cyclists emboldened by i****ic new regulations cycling along the middle of the road making it impossible to pass them with a large vehicle while giving them the appropriate amount of room the law dictates. People are putting themselves at risk and causing delays and driver frustration. I’ve already almost lost one good friend in recent months after her being hit by a van on a busy dual carriageway which has a well maintained alternative cycle path heading in the same direction nearby. She and her sister are often to be found pedalling away oblivious to the cars, buses and trucks that are swerving around them.
cycle lanes - De Sisti

cars, buses and trucks that are swerving around them.

If the drivers of cars and buses have to swerve around cyclists then surely their driving behaviour has to be questioned. They should be planning their manoeuvres in anticipation of what is in front of them.

puffing away at 15/20mph while buses and trucks hurtle past them, often swerving at the last minute

Keeping up a speed of 15 - 20 mph on a bike is not bad. Do you do it without "puffing away"? I take it that it was meant in a pejorative manner?

Let's face it, it is motorists who slow down other motorists because there are too many of them on the roads. Don't forget that!

cycle lanes - SLO76
“ Keeping up a speed of 15 - 20 mph on a bike is not bad. Do you do it without "puffing away"? I take it that it was meant in a pejorative manner?”

I’m pretty fit and irrationally competitive. If I see someone else on a bike, the race is on. I do look down on the i****s I overtake on my nice safe cycle path as they wheeze away on the road among the traffic.
cycle lanes - De Sisti
I’m pretty fit and irrationally competitive. If I see someone else on a bike, the race is on. I do look down on the i****s I overtake on my nice safe cycle path as they wheeze away on the road among the traffic.

I feel sorry for you that you have to look down on people. That is very sad.

I will leave this thread, and hope the moderator closes it.

People who choose to cycle on the road when there is a cycle path to use, should be looked down on.

I will leave this thread, and hope the moderator closes it.

That is of course up to you, and you can always hope. Personally I think that is unlikely though.

People who choose to cycle on the road when there is a cycle path to use, should be looked down on.

To be fair, many 'cycle paths' are either no more than narrow sections of the main road sectioned off by a white line or a similar narrow path - including one shared with pedestrians, often poorly maintained and full of debris, including tyre-shredding material.

I once (many years ago) got a blow-out on a shared cycle/footpath adjacent to the A1 near my parents' home town because I didn't see sharp debris until it was too late. I then spent the next 40 mins walking the bike home.

Some also take you down via poorly-lit areas that are often crime hotspots such as dingy underpasses.

I've had to avoid such 'paths' myself on occasion and used the road instead.

cycle lanes - SLO76
“ I feel sorry for you that you have to look down on people. That is very sad.

I will leave this thread, and hope the moderator closes it.”

Interesting attitude. Fair do’s though, feel free to take offence at everything you read or hear. To me, life’s hard enough without that.
cycle lanes - Warning

Nothing wrong with cyclists on the roads. It's selfish motorists who should be fined and dealt with harshly when they cause carnage on the road and park in the totally inadequate "cycle lanes" the the country has.

Selfish??? When I am stuck behind a slow cyclist, pehaps some might think cyclists are shelfish for holding up traffic. Parking on a cycle lanes, does not cause carnage, merely inconvinence.

Some of these cycle lanes are likely to be on a high street and they could be impacting shops and offices. There are residents who live above shops. Are you telling us, they can't have deliveries?

I have seen the light. cycling is dumb. Cycle lane building need to be stopped immediatly.

The solution is e-scooter (or similar), which are fast. Except we need to make them d*****ess, so they are n't been abused by lunatics.

Nothing wrong with cyclists on the roads. It's selfish motorists who should be fined and dealt with harshly when they cause carnage on the road and park in the totally inadequate "cycle lanes" the the country has.

Selfish??? When I am stuck behind a slow cyclist, pehaps some might think cyclists are shelfish for holding up traffic. Parking on a cycle lanes, does not cause carnage, merely inconvinence.

Some of these cycle lanes are likely to be on a high street and they could be impacting shops and offices. There are residents who live above shops. Are you telling us, they can't have deliveries?

I have seen the light. cycling is dumb. Cycle lane building need to be stopped immediatly.

The solution is e-scooter (or similar), which are fast. Except we need to make them d*****ess, so they are n't been abused by lunatics.

There's fault on either side - both motorists and cyclists are often not attentive enough in paying attention and giving consideration (when appropriate) to other road users.

When I'm on my bike, I make sure it is as easy and safe as possible for vehicles to overtake me, especially HGVs and farm vehicles which cannot easily change speed.

If that means backing off going downhill or even pulling into a layby, driveway, etc for a moment, that's only a small inconvenience for me, but makes their overtaking experience that much more safe and hopefully they'll remember that when they're overtaking others.

On the other side of the coin, when driving, I try and make sure I give cyclists sufficient room and overtake only when I can pass safely without getting too close or doing so at a very high speed. Don't forget that cyclists were there on roads well before the motorist was.

By all means have a go at the selfish /t*** minority who don't consider other road users, including pedestrians (who were there first by a long way) and people on horseback. Sometimes I also think the problems exist because too many people are (almost) always in a hurry. Leaving a good margin for journeys in case of delays is always a good idea.

cycle lanes - Gibbo_Wirral
. If a cycle lane exists and a cyclist is found on the road they should be hit with an instant £100 fine. I’m all for encouraging cycling but not at the expense of road safety and interference with public transport which is often delayed because of selfish cyclists.

Even lanes like this?

cyclingfallacies.com/fallacy_images/size_display/c...g

cycle lanes - SLO76
“ Even lanes like this?”

Thus the reason why I said that they needed to legislate to enforce their use and their maintenance. Councils all too often ignore them, sadly though despite those local to me being well maintained too many foolish people don’t use them and choose instead to mix it at puffing away at 15/20mph while buses and trucks hurtle past them, often swerving at the last minute.
cycle lanes - thirts

Whilst a lot of councils pay lip service by reducing existing road widths and painting wide dividing line (and rarely sweep the roads so cyclist have to run the gauntlet of both other road users or getting flat tyres or blowouts, those councils that do build more purpose-made cycle lanes often waste fortunes on them.

This is what happened where I live (cheadle/Stockport). The Council in their wisdom reduced the width of a road and widened the pavement to accomodate cyclist. However few cyclist use the widened pavement as:

It is only on one side so cyclists have to cross the road to get to and from it,

There is no demarkation, and as it is downhill, it is quite fast and noone knows where they should be on it

The pavement crosses a junction, so a cyclist using it has ti stop and giveway, whereas if they remain on the road they can carry on

I used this road as a cyclist and did not use this so called cycle path for the reasons above, and locally this caused many issues between drivers and cyclsits ( I don't think the drivers appreciated why cyclist didn't use it and because the road had been norrowed cyclsits have become difficult to pass ). The original road before the Council 'improved' it was quite wide and not a problem for cyclists or drivers, now it is for both.

I challenged the coulcil why they wasted Council Tax payers money on this scheme and was told that it was not Council Tax money but Central Government, which they would have to give back if they didn't use. Apparently that justified wasting many thousands of pounds on a scheme that made the road worse

Edited by thirts on 27/07/2022 at 09:20

cycle lanes - Sulphur Man

All councils need to adopt LTN1/20 government design documents to make good quality cycle infrastructure. I'd argue that they shouldn't get any substantial funding until they do so.

cycle lanes - John F

I have just returned from a cycling holiday around Holland, then on to Dunkirk. In nearly 400 miles of wide, smooth, well maintained, well signposted mainly two-way cycleways with no invading vegetation and an almost Disneyland absence of litter, I saw neither a single pothole nor a significant stretch of irregularity. Thanks to the RMT we were obliged to do an extra 23 miles of British 'cycleway' from Dover to Canterbury. Foreign cyclists touring here must think it is an example of the British sense of humour, as it consists mainly of very narrow roads lined with thick vegetation and is shared with cars and vans! Signposting is done by small blue stickers on a convenient lamp post. Around where I live (NN) they are shared with pedestrians. Admittedly many are like this in the Netherlands but they are wide enough to be distinctly separated by indicative lines and symbols.

In May I complained to Northants Council about a long neglected cycle/pathway next to a busy road (N'ton to W'borough) which had been reduced from about eight to three feet wide by invading vegetation. I have just received yet another email assuring me that the work 'in progress' will be carried out in August - after the 'birdnesting season'. Clearly another attempt at humour. My observation of the majority of the local Councillors being well into the orange/red part of the NHS obesity chart leads me to despair of any consideration being given to providing acceptable infrastructure for touring and utility cyclists. Our town planners really need to go on a similar 'look and learn' fact-finding trip to see how densely populated civilised countries provide infrastructure in and between their towns for the modern cyclist, who nowadays often has electrical assistance.

Edited by John F on 28/07/2022 at 12:39

cycle lanes - edlithgow

Yeh. I blame the Luftwaffe myself.

Call that strategic bombing?

cycle lanes - Warning

These cycles lanes are a waste of money. Pedestranising street and then putting cyclings in the same shared space is crazy. Many cycle lanes are ad hoc. Rather then focusing on building new cycles lanes, may be focus on existing ones.

The future will be something based on an e-scooter. In future a e-scooter will be self-driving and will come to you when needed. e-scooters are fast. People will unlock using their phone, set a destination and then the e-scotter will take them. The rider will only have limited control such as stop / start / speed, with anti-collision technology. No ability to change direction, as that will be done by the scooter. it will go on a pre-defined route.

If someone can't stand, may be a wheel chair format for elderly or young children.

Cycling is limited due to human endurance. Cycling can cause joint and muscle pain. No pain in the backside from the cycle seart. Cycles take too much space. Cycles get stolen (try carrying 2Kg cycle lock). No turning up to work sweaty (and needing a shower). There are plenty who can't ride a bike.

These cycles lanes are a waste of money. Pedestranising street and then putting cyclings in the same shared space is crazy. Many cycle lanes are ad hoc. Rather then focusing on building new cycles lanes, may be focus on existing ones.

The amount of cycling paths/lanes in the UK is woefully inadequate. So you are saying forget about anywhere that doesn't already have, tough luck for them, just spend money on small number of existing ones? (even though you also seem to be saying they are a waste of money?)

The future will be something based on an e-scooter. In future a e-scooter will be self-driving and will come to you when needed. e-scooters are fast. People will unlock using their phone, set a destination and then the e-scotter will take them. The rider will only have limited control such as stop / start / speed, with anti-collision technology. No ability to change direction, as that will be done by the scooter. it will go on a pre-defined route.

Can't see that at all. Some kind of a small car like Toyota's i-road concept maybe, but not a self driving e-scooter.

If someone can't stand, may be a wheel chair format for elderly or young children.

These already exist.

Cycling is limited due to human endurance. Cycling can cause joint and muscle pain.

So can any form of physical activity, but cycling is a low impact exercise. A comfortable bicycle of an appropriate design for the ability of the rider is far less likely to cause any actual problems for the rider than pretty much any other exercise save perhaps swimming. And of course you can get one with electric assist.

No pain in the backside from the cycle seart.

If you are suffering from pain in the backside it is because you have the wrong kind of bike and/or the wrong kind of seat for you (or are just not used to it yet, it does take a little time, especially if you have not been on a bike for ages). The kind of seat which is likely to cause you pain is probably of the kind you should be wearing padded shorts with.

Cycles take too much space.

Compared to what?, a unicycle?, a pogo stick?, shoes?, a bus pass?. For those with very limited space, folding bicycles exist and have done for many years.

Cycles get stolen (try carrying 2Kg cycle lock).

An average (non electric) hybrid bike is going to weigh around 12kg, the average UK male around 85kg. Carrying a 2kg bike lock on top of that is going to add around 2% to the total weight, i.e, barely noticeable.

No turning up to work sweaty (and needing a shower).

Heard of an e-bike? (Waterproof clothes?)

There are plenty who can't ride a bike.

Yes, there are. But there are also plenty who can (I'd guess many more can than can't), should they be ignored?. Also, increasing cycle lanes to provide safe routes, will encourage folk who either haven't cycled for years (or have never tried), to get on a bike.

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/07/2022 at 08:42

cycle lanes - Warning

The amount of cycling paths/lanes in the UK is woefully inadequate. So you are saying forget about anywhere that doesn't already have, tough luck for them, just spend money on small number of existing ones? (even though you also seem to be saying they are a waste of money?)

How much is it n't going to cost to put all new cycle lanes? Billions??

I have ridden on a segment of National Cycle Network (sustrans.org.uk). Some sections were great, amazing ride, then they would suddenly stop, with no signage and leaving people lost in the middle of nowhere in an industrial park next to a dual carriage way. They need to work on the basics such as signage, sat navs etc....

I don't have a problem with more cycle paths being built, as long as it is for recreational use and they are not put pedestrians in danger or to narrow existing roads.

The world has changed, since the invention of the motor car. Local shops are gone, made worse by online traders.

I bought an e-bike and it isn't the future. All I can see is disadvantages, problems and obstacles.

My e-bike is street legal and restricted to 15.5mph (and I need to peddle to get to the electric motor to assist me), whilst illegal high powered e-scooters in the hands off lunatics are doing 40mph in our local parks.

The biggest problems with bicycles, is they can't keep up with traffic. They have different dynamics, so they need cycle lanes.

This is why I have come to the conclusion e-scooters (or similar) are the future.

A driverless e-scooter can be ridden in convoy format at 30mph, so they gain both visibility (as a convoy), speed to they keep up with general traffic. They solve parking problems, theft, storage, insurance etc....

Cycling is limited due to human endurance. Cycling can cause joint and muscle pain. No pain in the backside from the cycle seart. Cycles take too much space. Cycles get stolen (try carrying 2Kg cycle lock). No turning up to work sweaty (and needing a shower). There are plenty who can't ride a bike.

Whenever people mention e-scooters, my mind always drifts back to the film 'wall-e' and the obese passengers on the starship going around in chair taxis...

Not exactly encouraging healthy exercise or being green are e-scooters. Quite the opposite, in fact. Most people I see on them appear to have chosen them instead of walking and/or to 'look cool' (they aren't - they look like adults using an oversized kids toy).

Yes, cycling can be hard on the body, especially the joints as we get older (my right knee normally proverbially says "that's enough" after 20-35 miles depending upon the hillyness [such a word?] of the route) and can be danegrous on some roads, but the effort and risk (which can be mitigated via various means) is, I think, well worth it for health, environmental and monetary reasons, as I've discovered over the past 2-odd years.

I admit that (solely) commuting by bicycle is often not possible for the majority of people, but should be encouraged where it is, without significantly disadvantaging other road/path users.

cycle lanes - Bromptonaut

London has created some fantastic cycle infrastructure. The cycle super highways, particularly that running along the Embankment, are safe, fast and segregated. Where they're not segregated then they're shared with buses etc. If the cycle lanes were not there the cyclists still would be. They'd have to integrate with the other traffic and probably cause more trouble than in a cycle lane.

We have one in Northampton which started out as a morning rush only bus and cycle lane. Never enforced and I had some really scary close passes from cars during its operational hours. During the pandemic it became 24hours and acquired an enforcement camera; observance was suddenly 100%

Unfortunately a change of local governmnet has seen a reversion to the Status Quo Ante.

While the first sentence is true a short urban ride using the lanes you condemn wouldn't test anyone's endurance. I used to do seventy to one hundred miles a day when touring and could easily do fifty even now, in my sixties and out of practice fifty plus would be do-able.

As others have already said cycling is low impact and, as long as you fit your bike and use gears properly joint and muscle pain will not occur. A common fault is to push too high a gear which will jigger your knees. Low gear and fast pedaling cadence are the secret.

All three of my bikes, Brompton folder, urban MTB and eighties tourer have Brooks leather saddles that fit my bum like a glove.

Cycles taking up too much space in nonsense on stilts. It's cars, even those with two or three occupants that take up the room.

The Brompton is very heavily targeted for theft, to the point of people being mugged for them. However it was never locked on the street, it went where I went including shops and offices. Just walk in like it's normal; asking invites refusal.

Visiting a Job Centre for work I was told to leave it under the stairs by the door. It was admitted after I asked security to phone the person I was meeting and explain I was leaving unless I could bring it in and stow it under a desk.

I rode the Brompton in my work clothes. Riding reasonably slowly in the cool of the morning and with only the necessary clothing - by smart jacket stayed in the office - I never arrived sweaty. Different story in the evening with a train to catch....

If you cannot, or even will not, ride a bike then fair enough, Some people cannot drive a car. Neither of those things are reasons not to meet legitimate expectations.

cycle lanes - Warning

London has created some fantastic cycle infrastructure.

London is a tale of two cities. The infrastructure in Central London was built for rich middle classes, who can afford to live in million pound flats close to the city centre. There is a level of inequality, where rich well paid cyclist will go for a "fitting" for a cycle and buy a lightweight carbon bike, make cycling easier.

The average London commuter comes by bus or train. Whilst the there are plebs who do cycle into London, they slog it out on their £129 Argos bike and travel longer distances on heavy steel bikes.

cycle lanes - Adampr

I don't agree with that. I lived in London for 15 years, lived in Hackney and cycled into work south of the river most days. Unless you're in Hampstead or Crystal Palace it's all pretty flat and a £300-£400 hybrid is perfectly adequate. Most workplaces do cycle to work schemes to make the purchase affordable.

As for infrastructure, it's certainly imperfect, but it's not at all bad and you can go most places on cycle paths or very lightly trafficked residential roads.

I would feel many times safer cycling five or ten miles in London than I do in rural Somerset.

I think you need to work out what your message here is, 'as clear as mud' as they say!. From your previous post:

These cycles lanes are a waste of money. Rather then focusing on building new cycles lanes, may be focus on existing ones.

From this one:

I don't have a problem with more cycle paths being built, as long as it is for recreational use and they are not put pedestrians in danger or to narrow existing roads.

I'm not saying billions should be spent covering the country with cycle paths (though there definitely needs to be more). You are saying they are a waste of money and no more should be built (or at least you were on your previous post), whereas I disagree.

The world has changed, since the invention of the motor car. Local shops are gone, made worse by online traders.

What on earth has that got to do with encouraging people to cycle?

I bought an e-bike and it isn't the future.

Nobody said they are!

All I can see is disadvantages, problems and obstacles.

So you don't see any benefit in an e-bike for someone with maybe a knee injury for example, who wouldn't otherwise be able to cycle?. Maybe someone obese, maybe an older person like my own Mother, who was struggling with her old bike but has had a new lease of life with her ebike

My e-bike is street legal and restricted to 15.5mph (and I need to peddle to get to the electric motor to assist me), whilst illegal high powered e-scooters in the hands off lunatics are doing 40mph in our local parks.

Firstly, a normal bike is also street legal, and it has no electrical assistance. Second, your e-bike isn't restricted to 15.5mph, it will go as fast as you are prepared to (or able to) pedal it. I've had mine up to 35mph going downhill and 25mph on the flat with a tail wind. It is only the assistance (on EU/UK e-bikes) which stops at 15.5mph, and if this was a problem for you, then why buy it?.

Just as you can buy e-scooters which can do more than they are supposed to in this country (15.5mph), you can also buy an e-bike which can do more than they are supposed to. Easy enough to buy one which will do 50km/h and will invariably have a throttle so you don't need to pedal. Also, you can buy kits to convert pretty much any normal bike into an e-bike, most that I have seen can be run on electric alone and will do 40km/h or more.

The biggest problems with bicycles, is they can't keep up with traffic.

Have you never driven in a big town or city during peak traffic times?, a bicycle (e or not) can easily be faster.

They have different dynamics, so they need cycle lanes.

Here again with the contradictions, cyclists need cycle lanes, yet earlier they were a waste of money and no more should be made!.

A driverless e-scooter can be ridden in convoy format at 30mph, so they gain both visibility (as a convoy), speed to they keep up with general traffic. They solve parking problems, theft, storage, insurance etc....

Surely a convoy of these e-scooters doing 30mph are going to be much harder for other traffic to pass than an individual e-bike doing 15.5mph?. Explain how they wil be able to keep up with general traffic if they can only do 30mph. Also explain how they won't be able to be stolen, how they won't require parking or storage, and how they won't require insurance.

cycle lanes - _

Well, I have updated my tecnique for passing cuclists here, with traffic the way it is, I just hang back till I can VERY safely pass.

But in the road we live off, Colchester council wasted £750.000 on an 800 metre cyclepath which is shared with pedestrians and no demarcation, and in places only 1 metre wide.

Very rare to see a cyclist on it.

At the bottom end there are offices where the front entrance goes onto the pavement, an estate agents ditto, a hair salon, chinese chippie, and in the middle of all that a driveway hidden between 2 walls where any driver emerging cannot see anything passing. I nearly got one a while back. She apologised, her brakes (on the cycle) were not working. Doh...

Not against cycle lanes and cyclists, but infrastructure is very poor for them and mostly half witted planning and execution.

Edited by _ORB_ on 02/08/2022 at 06:32

cycle lanes - Warning

I am not going to reply to every of your points, but the future is not pedal cycling.

> What on earth has that got to do with encouraging people to cycle?

In the 1900s people have plenty of shops and facilities on their doorstep, deliveries by horse and cart. The motor car changed the world. Gone are the local shops, thanks to out of town retail parks, heavy handed traffic wardens.

Even going to work if further away. How many times on this forum, people are looking for cars, where they are driving 30 miles each way? We are travelling longer. Friends and family live further away. My favourite restaurant is 8 miles away.

Cycling should be seen as a hobby. Perhaps a workout for some cyclists.

Cycling a means of a transport it is about as sensible as bringing back the horse and cart.

Here are a few visions of the possible future:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8C28CFz0xw - self driving e-scooter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z67NkvXIF4 - self driving bicycle

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s - this one is an April 1 joke, but it is interesting concept....

Edited by Warning on 01/08/2022 at 19:10

I am not going to reply to every of your points, but the future is not pedal cycling.

My points were in direct response to your own points.

But yes, if it is easier, just brush them under the carpet and focus instead on arguing a point that nobody made.

cycle lanes - Warning

> But yes, if it is easier, just brush them under the carpet and focus instead on arguing a point that nobody made.

I am really sorry that was n't the intention. I just did n't have the time to reply. It is an interesting debate. We both have an e-bikes, but I have come to different conclusions. It does n't work for me.

Cycling a means of a transport it is about as sensible as bringing back the horse and cart.

Cycling is a perfectly sensible means of transport for relatively short distances. I forget the statistic for the number of car journeys less than one or two miles but it's a very significant proportion of the total.

Nobody is saying folks should be forced to cycle just that it will remain for many years a viable option for those willing and able to do so. My using a park/ride location on the outskirts of town and cycling the last mile has no negative impact on others and one fewer car in the town centre is a bonus albeit a small one.

Cycling is a perfectly sensible means of transport for relatively short distances. I forget the statistic for the number of car journeys less than one or two miles but it's a very significant proportion of the total.

Nobody is saying folks should be forced to cycle just that it will remain for many years a viable option for those willing and able to do so. My using a park/ride location on the outskirts of town and cycling the last mile has no negative impact on others and one fewer car in the town centre is a bonus albeit a small one.

To be honest, for any trip under 2 miles, you may as well walk. To do a weekly shop, you may need the ability to carry stuff with at least one hand if not both, and dangling shopping bags on the handlebars isn't exactly safe.

The days are mainly gone where people would shop daily for groceries with onl;y the need for a small wicker basket on the front of the bicycle.

Perhaps for the odd item or to visit someone, perhaps, if its not wet out and there's somewhere safe/secure to store the bike.

I agree that cycling should be reasonably encouraged where it is appropriate to reduce the use of cars and even buses/trains, but I think that the main push for cycling use should be for physical and mental wellbeing - they are (still) a relatively cheap, easy way to improve physical health and fitness and, through access to parkland and/or the countryside, can also provide significant improvement to people's mental well-being as well via just being there.

Whilst some more 'advanced' cyclists may want to concentrate more on the competitive sporting side, many people would probably like the decent general health benefits plus the enjoyment of being amongst nature, sight-seeing, etc.

For example, during my recent longer (for me) cycle ride last Saturday, I happened to come across a cricket match in the viilage where I stop for a break/lunch half way around my route. I stopped for longer just to watch some of the game (free to watch) in the nice sunshine. The only cost to me for the entire half day out was the water I drank and food I consumed (which I brought from home, so not expensive).

I mainly stayed off the major roads and found the trip to be very worthwhile. No need for any dedicated cycle lanes, apart from, perhaps on or shadowing the route of the (one) more major road.

The problem with most of the way cycle paths are planned/installed is that there's little joined-up thinking gone into it all - they either are cheap sops that benefit no-one and that are rarely used, go nowhere useful or expensive wheezes (like the roundabout in Cambridge) that provide little (if any) improvement to cyclists but a huge cost to other road users (often including pedestrians) and taxpayers.

Unfortunately, some roads and areas are just not condisve to both the cyclist and motorised road users (never mind horses) because the are still based on the medieval layout of the country with little to no space for expansion or without spending huge sums on buying private (mostly much needed farm) land, or poor policy and planning over several decades in the more rebuilt/new towns and cities.

Continental Europe's major towns and cities benefitted from mostly being rebuilt after WWII whilst many were already based on the wider road and grid layout which is far more condusive to the installation of cycle lanes/paths. Perhps we should blame those in charge of rebuilding after the Great Fire of London, but then the bicycle was still 150 years away from its invention at the time.

cycle lanes - Warning

The problem with most of the way cycle paths are planned/installed is that there's little joined-up thinking gone into it all - they either are cheap sops that benefit no-one and that are rarely used, go nowhere useful or expensive wheezes (like the roundabout in Cambridge) that provide little (if any) improvement to cyclists but a huge cost to other road users (often including pedestrians) and taxpayers.

That is exactly right. Trying to retrospectively put in cycle lanes in places is very hard. For new road, they should certainly put them in.

That is exactly right. Trying to retrospectively put in cycle lanes in places is very hard. For new road, they should certainly put them in.

Especially those where they just make the road narrower to 'accommodate' them - given that the streets are rarely swept these days, never mnind properly maintained, many cyclists avoid them because they are dangerous due to debris and sunken drains/manholes. Most aren't wide enough anyway.

Many also have pinch points - often caused by (very) old buildings / properties (including gardens etc) narrowing the road anyway, meaning they can't even have those either, especially in countryside areas.

Ironically they are rarely added to new roads, especially residential areas, which often have (like the homes built on them) actually got narrower in order to squeeze more homes in for the money.

That also encourages (because of a lack of adequate parking) cars to park either on the road or half on the road and pedestrian pavement, meaning its even worse for the cyclist, including youing children learning.

cycle lanes - Bolt

or very lightly trafficked residential roads.

Not sure where you are talking about in London But I know of no lightly trafficked residential roads, they have all gone, and so restricted a cyclist is more likely to have an accident.

I recently had a holiday in Somerset and would rather cycle there than anywhere in London

cycle lanes - Alby Back
I use my car a lot, I walk a lot and I use my bike a lot too. Just depends on where I’m going, what I’m doing and how far it is.
Don’t tend to overthink it really, they all work for me at different times.
cycle lanes - Xileno

Exactly the same as my situation. It's nice to have the option. For example last evening I needed a new metal grinding disk so hopped on the bike to ride to Wickes. About three miles along the canal, rather pleasant on a sunny evening. Just need to make sure I didn't buy anything else such as a bag of cement...

Yesterday I used my e-bike to visit my parents. No cycle paths though, only lightly trafficked country roads, circa 28 miles each way. Of course I am lucky in that I have a multitude of roads like that to choose from, but I do try to avoid going on busier roads as much as possible. Cycle paths round here are very limited, there is one going from near the town (Peterhead) centre, south a couple of miles to the first village you come to. And there is also the old railway line, which can be taken inland about 15 miles before splitting to go either north to Fraserburgh or south as far as Aberdeen.

Both of these are shared with pedestrians though, and in the case of the old railway line, I have also encountered horse riders.

cycle lanes - barney100

We have some cycle paths in sunny Basingstoke but rarely see them used. Cyclists use the pavements, roads and pedestrian crossings, suppose if they push the bike they are pedestrians too. There don't appear to be large numbers of cyclists around here so it appears the encouragement of cycling has largely passed us by.

cycle lanes - Warning

Yesterday I used my e-bike to visit my parents. No cycle paths though, only lightly trafficked country roads, circa 28 miles each way.

That is 1.5 hours worth of pedling each way assuming 20mph speed. Take the brompton electric it has a range of 25 to 50miles. Some cheaper electrics have a range of 30miles.

Cycling for 3 hours is fun for recreational use. Who has the endurance to cycle 28 miles afer a long and stressful day at work?

I am not anti-cycling. I love my e-bike. I just have seen the light and know better that e-bikes are not the asnwer.

cycle lanes - alan1302

I am not anti-cycling. I love my e-bike. I just have seen the light and know better that e-bikes are not the asnwer.

There is no one size fits all solution - eBike will work for a lot of people, normal cycles, escooters, buses, trains, walking and the odd car or two will all be required - we just want to get more people out of the cars when they can be.

I would feel many times safer cycling five or ten miles in London than I do in rural Somerset.

Absolutely.

As stated already I used a Brompton in London; Euston to, for the most part Lincoln's Inn/Chancery Lane, for 14 years.

Occasionally I'd have to cycle from Northampton station to a garage where my car was being serviced etc. Those miles felt far more dangerous than, say, Kingsway. There were also plenty of quiet semi residential streets in Bloomsbury and round by the LSE so as to avoid the main thoroughfares.

No longer possible to exit Euston into Melton Street as I did (HS2) but still possible to hang a right off Upper Woburn Place and regain the same streets keeping a block to the west of the main drag.

The average London commuter comes by bus or train. Whilst the there are plebs who do cycle into London, they slog it out on their £129 Argos bike and travel longer distances on heavy steel bikes.

If you actually visit London you'll see that massive numbers commute by bike. Not rich people with million pound flats but ordinary people renting flats or rooms in the suburbs, some as far out as Harrow.

Of those arriving by train a large number bike from the station. Some leave a 'clunker' they can afford to lose to theft on the station's ubiquitous bike racks. A Brompton folder at around £1500 seems expensive but pays for itself in two years if you buy a rail only season rather than a Travelcard. Employers offer Cycle to Work salary sacrifice meaning the cost comes from gross rather than net pay and is divided into monthly instalments.

And of course there are hire bikes whether the wholly inaccurately labelled 'Boris Bikes' (they were Livingstone's initiative) or the various rivals.

cycle lanes - Andrew-T

These cycles lanes are a waste of money.

In absolute terms, yes, they probably are. Near here in Cheshire, almost a mile of the A56 between Fr0dsham and Helsby has just been remodelled (both sides) with elaborate cycle lanes separated from vehicular traffic by a kerbed strip. After several months of temporary lights the road has just returned to normal. I think it was originally converted to 3 lanes many years ago (remember those?) but returned to wide two-lane when traffic density grew, now with narrower (but adequate) lanes.

The main purpose of the cycle lane is for schoolkids from Fr0dsham to get to the large Helsby school, which has had cycle lanes past it for many years, but only white-lined off as part of the straight main road. Needless to say those are fully occupied by parked cars at pick-up time, so are useless for cycling.

I am interested to see [a] how much the new lanes will be used, and [b] how drivers find them in the dark, as the kerbed strips I mentioned are mid-grey and almost indistinguishable from the tarmac in the dark - the road has a 40 limit.

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/08/2022 at 11:19

cycle lanes - Sparrow

Here in Andover there are some cycle paths that we use reasonably often. They are mostly shared with pedestrians, unseparated, often a metre or not much wider and not well maintained. In autumn wet leaves cover some urban paths and make cycling hazardous. Other paths were made with insufficient foundations and have a knobbly surface also making progress slow or dangerous. It's little wonder many cyclists stick to the roads, even heavily trafficked roads.

In nearby rural areas some roads are heavily used by cyclists, but also by traffic. The bigger roads have 30 or 40 mph speed limits but once in a derestricted lanes some drive far too fast. Indeed, cycling in rural Hampshire feels far more dangerous than any city I have cycled in.

Edited by Sparrow on 02/08/2022 at 11:56

Here in Andover there are some cycle paths that we use reasonably often. They are mostly shared with pedestrians, unseparated, often a metre or not much wider and not well maintained. In autumn wet leaves cover some urban paths and make cycling hazardous. Other paths were made with insufficient foundations and have a knobbly surface also making progress slow or dangerous. It's little wonder many cyclists stick to the roads, even heavily trafficked roads.

In nearby rural areas some roads are heavily used by cyclists, but also by traffic. The bigger roads have 30 or 40 mph speed limits but once in a derestricted lanes some drive far too fast. Indeed, cycling in rural Hampshire feels far more dangerous than any city I have cycled in.

I also think that modern satnavs, especially (IMHO) Google Maps (which has improved but has some way to go) are contributing to the problem in rural areas because now you get tourists using derestricted roads that, despite the '60mph' speed limit, should in no way be driving that fast along them because it's patently usafe - the risk of encountering a cyclist, a a farm vehicle, livestock crossing or just other cars/vans (including the [now] huge number of delivery vans on tight schedules) is now greatly increased.

It also doesn't help that vehciles in general - including farm vehicles - are much larger and more powerful/quicker than decades ago.

I foolishly followed Google Maps 'route' on the last leg of my route to Cornwall on holiday that took me down such a road. Because I could in no way do 60 apart from a small section at the start (and I only got up to 50) and mostly was doing well under 30, the route was no quicker than the one I'd normally take which was longer but on major roads where I could (safely as well as legally) do 50-60mph.

The irony of modern living and especially the large changes over the last 2.5 years to less in-person shopping mean that some rural roads (where there's little viable or no alternative routes via main roads) are far more dangerous, especially out of the morning/evening rush hour and on weekends.

cycle lanes - barney100

Last three UK holidays have taken us down some very narrow roads/ Cornwall/ Yorkshire Dales/ Scotland. Easier after dark you can see head lights from cars etc but still need to watch out very carefully for walkers, cyclists etc. Most drivers are very aware of the difficulties but on the odd occasion one isn't.

To be honest, for any trip under 2 miles, you may as well walk. To do a weekly shop, you may need the ability to carry stuff with at least one hand if not both, and dangling shopping bags on the handlebars isn't exactly safe.

Depends on time constraints. This morning I cycled to the centre of town to drop off takings at the bank. I was back home in less than 10 mins, but if i had walked it would have taken 30. As for shopping, as long as you are not after the last word in quality, it is cheap enough to get some panniers and/or a rack bag.

Whilst some more 'advanced' cyclists may want to concentrate more on the competitive sporting side, many people would probably like the decent general health benefits plus the enjoyment of being amongst nature, sight-seeing, etc.

For example, during my recent longer (for me) cycle ride last Saturday, I happened to come across a cricket match in the viilage where I stop for a break/lunch half way around my route. I stopped for longer just to watch some of the game (free to watch) in the nice sunshine. The only cost to me for the entire half day out was the water I drank and food I consumed (which I brought from home, so not expensive).

Yes, absolutely. While I certainly wouldn't stop to watch cricket, my cycle yesterday included a couple of notable close encounters with wildlife. First was when a very small bird came out of a hedge and flew alongside me for a few seconds, close enough that I could have taken my left hand off the handlebar and plucked it out of the air. Second was when a doe jumped over a hedge and crossed the road about 10' in front of me.

cycle lanes - Crickleymal

A friend has a bike which you can carry a weekly shop on. I can't remember whether the load area is at the front like those old delivery bikes that you used to see, or whether it's an extended rear load area. Mind you he has a bike for every occasion.

A friend has a bike which you can carry a weekly shop on. I can't remember whether the load area is at the front like those old delivery bikes that you used to see, or whether it's an extended rear load area. Mind you he has a bike for every occasion.

(also to BBD) It depends on how much your weekly shop is! Not so bad if you shop for one and twice a week I suppose, with a ruckasck available, though probably not enough for the once/twice a month 'big shop' or if its raining.

Besides, many newer don't have the space to store cycles securely and weather-proofed - most flats built before around 2010 don't - that my flat block has to some degree was one of the main reasons why I bought it - all the others I looked at didn't.

Many newer hosues no longer have garages/brick external stores, and round these parts theft of stuff (including cycles) from wooden garden sheds is commonplace.

Another set of issues that arose because of poor town planning and policy to add to that for roads and cycle paths, amongst many other things.

cycle lanes - Bilboman

In one of the advanced driving videos by Chris Gilbert (who is absolutely inspirational) he makes the distinction between "cyclists" and "bike riders". I agree with him that there's a vast difference between the occasional, hobbyist bike rider, the one less likely to look over their shoulder, anticipate, signal or show much in the way of awareness in general - and the "real" cyclist, the one in cycling gear, on a pricey, well equipped machine, who effectively becomes another vehicle on the road and is far less likely to make stupid mistakes or ride in the ignorant, selfish manner of those in the former category.
No doubt there is room for discussion here on the differences between a "car driver" and a "motorist" !

In one of the advanced driving videos by Chris Gilbert (who is absolutely inspirational) he makes the distinction between "cyclists" and "bike riders". I agree with him that there's a vast difference between the occasional, hobbyist bike rider, the one less likely to look over their shoulder, anticipate, signal or show much in the way of awareness in general - and the "real" cyclist, the one in cycling gear, on a pricey, well equipped machine, who effectively becomes another vehicle on the road and is far less likely to make stupid mistakes or ride in the ignorant, selfish manner of those in the former category.
No doubt there is room for discussion here on the differences between a "car driver" and a "motorist" !

If someone is wearing lycra and riding an expensive bike, they are going to be better rider?. I have no idea who Chris Gilbert is, but he is clearly unaware of the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" (or at the very least it's meaning), and why he shouldn't.

Does he also think car drivers in an expensive car with branded gear are better than drivers in a older car wearing scruffy clothes?.

cycle lanes - edlithgow

In one of the advanced driving videos by Chris Gilbert (who is absolutely inspirational) he makes the distinction between "cyclists" and "bike riders".

I came to this crossroads in life quite a long time ago.

I decided that,wearing Lycra was one of the many prices of being a "cyclist", and it wasn't one I was prepared to pay.

So I'm a "bike rider""

This has the additional advantage that I can ride bikes that I'm prepared to risk leaving locked at the railway station all day,.

This makes them quite a lot more useful.

Edited by edlithgow on 02/08/2022 at 16:16

In one of the advanced driving videos by Chris Gilbert (who is absolutely inspirational) he makes the distinction between "cyclists" and "bike riders".

I came to this crossroads in life quite a long time ago.

I decided that,wearing Lycra was one of the many prices of being a "cyclist", and it wasn't one I was prepared to pay.

So I'm a "bike rider""

This has the additional advantage that I can ride bikes that I'm prepared to risk leaving locked at the railway station all day,.

This makes them quite a lot more useful.

((chuckle)) I won't hold it against you. If I describe myself using your criteria, then I'm almost a 'bike rider'. My bike (a [very generous] hand-me-down) is certainly not a cheap one, though not a four-figure bike, however I'm not in the TdF lycra brigade, just normally wearing a bog-stand polo shirt and M&S long shorts to go cycling. No special socks or trainers either. I bring fasks for water and a packed lunch box with sandwiches and/or a banana for fuel in my ordinary ruckasck.

Admitedly I'd never leave my bike outside a railway station even if I locked it up (I use three back home as its in an outside cupboard). At most on the go it gets locked up to a street light pole or metal railings or park bench should I need a quick 'comfort break' or some extra snacks.

When its predecessor was locked up outside in the previous purpose-made bike store, someone tried to steal it by wrenching the bike holder off the wall. They gave up on my locks and dumped it on the grass.

cycle lanes - Xileno

If I'm riding to the shops I take my old and shabby (but mechanically sound) bike. No risk of it getting nicked. I would never take my mountain bike, I only use that for rides where I'm not leaving it unattended.

cycle lanes - Bilboman

Extract from the driving commentary: "Approaching a bike rider here; not a cyclist - he's a bike rider... There is a difference between a bike rider and a cyclist. A cyclist is one who's got all the equipment... got a good deal of road safety awareness, whereas I'm very suspicious of bike riders." [1'55": www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAFH8dTH5ns]
Given that words occasionally come out wrong in a live recording, let's assume "wary" is a better fit than the somewhat loaded word "suspicious", and it makes sense. There is a world of difference between an occasional, "casual" bike rider (think any or all of the following: youngster going to school/bike loaded with objects/no helmet/sloppy position of instep on pedals/unlikely to have lights or reflectors at night/earphones in/glancing at mobile/rarely looks over shoulder) and an experienced, rather more "professional" two wheeler whose riding will be more consistent and careful.
The only distinction the driver seems to make is allowing the rider a wider overtaking margin, perhaps assuming the worst (a bit of wobble), as most of us would do with, say, an erratic pedestrian or a dithering driver. Seems perfeclty reasonable to me!

cycle lanes - Adampr

If the 'cyclists' that pour past my house every weekend are anything to go by, I think I prefer 'bike riders'. Someone pootling along minding their own business gets a lot more patience than a bunch of i****s in lycra bellowing at each other and occasionally falling over because they can't release from their pedals.

Extract from the driving commentary: "Approaching a bike rider here; not a cyclist - he's a bike rider... There is a difference between a bike rider and a cyclist. A cyclist is one who's got all the equipment... got a good deal of road safety awareness, whereas I'm very suspicious of bike riders." [1'55": www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAFH8dTH5ns]
Given that words occasionally come out wrong in a live recording, let's assume "wary" is a better fit than the somewhat loaded word "suspicious", and it makes sense. There is a world of difference between an occasional, "casual" bike rider (think any or all of the following: youngster going to school/bike loaded with objects/no helmet/sloppy position of instep on pedals/unlikely to have lights or reflectors at night/earphones in/glancing at mobile/rarely looks over shoulder) and an experienced, rather more "professional" two wheeler whose riding will be more consistent and careful.

The only distinction the driver seems to make is allowing the rider a wider overtaking margin, perhaps assuming the worst (a bit of wobble), as most of us would do with, say, an erratic pedestrian or a dithering driver. Seems perfeclty reasonable to me!

Hmm, well the only things I'd be looking at (and for) is their road position and whether or not they appear to be aware of what is going on around them. And not (as your inspiration seems to be advocating) what they are wearing and how expensive the bike is. Which, IMO (and experience), will tell you absolutely nothing about their competence as a cyclist.

Well you are nothing if not consistent in contradicting yourself!

Saturday 02:13;

Sunday 16:03;

Sunday 16:03;

I bought an e-bike and it isn't the future. All I can see is disadvantages, problems and obstacles.

Today 17:45;

I love my e-bike.

I just have seen the light and know better that e-bikes are not the asnwer.

My brother has also seen the light, but I'm not sure that is relevant here?.

Im assuming your question is, "are e-bikes the future?", if so the answer would be no. But seeing as nobody said they were, that statement would be entirely irrelevant.

If the question was, "how can someone (my mum) who used to enjoy cycling but is finding a normal bike too hard enjoy cycling again?", I'd suggest an e-bike is the answer.

cycle lanes - Warning

> Well you are nothing if not consistent in contradicting yourself!

I am consistent. Your experience i based on where you live. My views have changed since I got my e-bike.

This is what I support:.

- new cycling paths for recreational use (e..g country side / sea front / holidays / day outs / tourism / abandoned railway lines)

- cycle paths when building new roads or widening them or making major road layout changes.

- shared pedestrian / cycle use on quieter rods

- protection of pedestrians

- parks - cycles to be banned except on certain routes (e-bikes / e-scooters are making parks unsafe).

- end of new cycle lanes (as most taking space from one user in favour of another.)

- police catching cycle thieves

This is what I am against:

- pedestrianising of high streets (unless cyclists are banned - unsafe if cyclist at high speed though a family walk on the road )

- building of more cycle lanes

- narrowing roads for cyclists

- making it hard for HGV to use major roads

- closing of roads for traffic

- building cycle lanes outside people's shops or premises.

- making it harder for delivery drivers

- making it harder for taxis to pick up passenger

- taking away parking spaces

If the question was, "how can someone (my mum) who used to enjoy cycling but is finding a normal bike too hard enjoy cycling again?

How much is an e-bike? £1,5000 to £3,500. For a family of 4 that is is £14,000. The insurance is £120 per month. Most homes not have the space.

Very thorough there, Warning. All good points.

I am consistent. Your experience i based on where you live. My views have changed since I got my e-bike.

Your views are anything but consistent, and have changed during the course of the thread!.

But at least now there is clarity in some parts of your views, if not all.

If the question was, "how can someone (my mum) who used to enjoy cycling but is finding a normal bike too hard enjoy cycling again?

How much is an e-bike? £1,5000 to £3,500. For a family of 4 that is is £14,000. The insurance is £120 per month. Most homes not have the space.

First, (unless you are a politician) that clearly is not an answer to the question.

Second, e-Bikes range from under £700 to more than £10k*. So assuming a family of four all needed their own e-bike (?), they could do so from £2,800.

Third, average cost of insurance for a £700 bike is £45 per year, £77 per year for a £1500 bike. So if you are paying £120 per month, you are being well and truly ripped off.

Fourth, assuming your family of four decided that a folding e-bike wouldn't be suitable for any of them, you could fit four mountain bike style e-bikes sitting next to each other (but facing alternate directions) on the ground within a space approx 1.5 x 1.8M. But more sensible would be to have two on the ground and two on wall mounting above. In which case you'd lose .75 x 1.8M floor space out of your garage (about 1/6 of what a Ford Focus needs). If shed or garage space is too tight, you can buy plastic or wooden bike stores for not much, or indeed you could make one easily enough.

*If you have an existing bike, you can buy a conversion kit with everything you need (including battery) from around £350. So assuming your family of four already have bikes, that brings the price down to £1400 in total.

cycle lanes - Warning

What happens if people struggle with e-bikes? Mine is 20Kg. I took it on a day trip. Got to the station and the escalators were not working and had to carry it up the stairs. Not fun.

It is great she can find enjoyment from an e-bike. However, as people age they have different ailments. If someone has poor vision, they may struggle with a bike and miss that pot hole.

A driverless e-scooter (or similar) will give people independence. It is stress free. No parking issues with car. Dropped off your door. No need to worry about cycle theft, maintenance etc...

Claude Littner after his cycling accident. He fell off his bike...
www.facebook.com/watch/?v=342989571098443

What happens if people struggle with e-bikes? Mine is 20Kg. I took it on a day trip. Got to the station and the escalators were not working and had to carry it up the stairs. Not fun.

I might get to the point where I cannot use my Brompton anymore.

So do I assume the whole folding bike thing is a dead end and scrap it or give a permanent lend to my son who can use it for work?

So do I assume the whole folding bike thing is a dead end and scrap it or give a permanent lend to my son who can use it for work?

Don't know what model you have, but according to the website, the heaviest non electric Brompton is 11.5kg, heaviest electric one is 16.6kg. Now you can get lighter e-bikes than that, but not by much, I think about 12 or 13kg is the lightest I've seen (ignoring very expensive road bikes)

My e-bike is around 30kg!

But I can't see folding bikes dying out any time soon, for folk who need them, there is nothing else more fit for purpose. Even bigger wheeled folding bikes are usefully easier to store if you are short on space.

cycle lanes - barney100

Seems legislation to stiffen sentences for causing injuries by dangerous cycling is on the cards according to the Daily Mail, watch this space.

Don't know what model you have, but according to the website, the heaviest non electric Brompton is 11.5kg, heaviest electric one is 16.6kg. Now you can get lighter e-bikes than that, but not by much, I think about 12 or 13kg is the lightest I've seen (ignoring very expensive road bikes)

My e-bike is around 30kg!

But I can't see folding bikes dying out any time soon, for folk who need them, there is nothing else more fit for purpose. Even bigger wheeled folding bikes are usefully easier to store if you are short on space.

As I doscivered yesterday when out for a long (for me anyway) ride, having a lightweight bicycle (especially an efficient racer type) makes a significant difference to its performance, especially when you're still regaining fitness.

Do any of the folding bike companies do carbon fibre bicycles (of either standard or electrically assisted varieties) like the full-sized non-folding ones?

My hand-me-down (aluminium framed) mountain bike weighs a proverbial tonne compared to the lightweight road bikes I wasn't keeping up with yesterday (one fellow rider I chatted with when I had stopped for lunch was kind enough to allow me to pick up his bike to compare).

I wasn't complaining, given my bike is quite decent otherwise, and, of course, it cost me nothing. A good day out where I didn't see any need (apart from on one more major road and when crossing another [no alternative]) for cycle lanes on the (very rural) route if everyone was respectful and careful / competent at what they were doing.

As I doscivered yesterday when out for a long (for me anyway) ride, having a lightweight bicycle (especially an efficient racer type) makes a significant difference to its performance, especially when you're still regaining fitness.

When I was cycling home from my parents the other day I came upon a serious looking chap on a mountain bike, all sinew and wall to wall lycra. Where I passed him on was on a section of climbing more or less constant for about a mile, didn't see him again!. Don't really fancy a racing bike myself though, all scrunched up and not able to take in the scenery!

Do any of the folding bike companies do carbon fibre bicycles (of either standard or electrically assisted varieties) like the full-sized non-folding ones?

You do get carbon framed folding bikes (both standard and electric), weight for standard ones can vary by more than you'd think from around 10kg to as little as 6.9kg for a Hummingbird, very expensive though!. Lightest Brompton is titanium, just under 7.5kg and also very expensive.

My hand-me-down (aluminium framed) mountain bike weighs a proverbial tonne compared to the lightweight road bikes I wasn't keeping up with yesterday (one fellow rider I chatted with when I had stopped for lunch was kind enough to allow me to pick up his bike to compare).

My mate has 3 drop bar racing bikes, two of which he built up starting with a BeOne carbon frame and forks. Last time I was out to see him, I picked one up and was absolutely shocked at just how light it was compared to my 30kg e-bike!. He is 6'4" so it is a big bike, but I reckon it couldn't have weighed more than 6kg!.

cycle lanes - Warning

You do get carbon framed folding bikes (both standard and electric), weight for standard ones can vary by more than you'd think from around 10kg to as little as 6.9kg for a Hummingbird, very expensive though!. Lightest Brompton is titanium, just under 7.5kg and also very expensive

The reason Brompton don't make a carbon bike and went with titanium, is that it is hardto tell if a carbon frame is damaged or not. According to what I learved a carbon bike is strong on the road, however it has weak spots. When a steel bike is damage, it is apparent,. but not so with a carbon bike. Inspections are not easy.

How to assess a cracked carbon frame

www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/105/how-to-assess-a-cr...e