What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - _

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/18/tory-polic...y

Tory police boss banned from driving after breaking speed limit five times

Caroline Henry had vowed to crack down on speeding during her time as Nottinghamshire PCC

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - daveyjp

Only seen the BBC report, but there is no recognition from her that maybe she is hopeless at driving and this could be an opportunity for her to look at why and improve her skills before she ends up with a more serious charge than speeding,

With such a busy role I'd like to see her phone records and see how much time she spends distracted from actually deriving whilst on phone calls etc.

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - edlithgow

...how much time she spends distracted from actually deriving whilst on phone calls etc.

deriving...pleasure?

Does The Public Need To Know?

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - John F

...how much time she spends distracted from actually deriving whilst on phone calls etc....

Does The Public Need To Know?

Yes, if in such a responsible position of power. Such behaviour demonstrates a degree of foolishness and incompetence incompatible with the character desirability for a person aspiring to such a role. She should resign.

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - Engineer Andy

I perhaps wouldn't call this story 'light relief' when it involves a politician of one party.

I'm sure she deserved her driving ban after her hypocritical approach, but it's not exactly the first instance a politician of any hue has done this sort of thing or hypocrisy in general.

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - Crickleymal

I knew a magistrate who nearly got sacked because she was caught speeding in some roadworks.

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - _

Yes it's light relief. Seeing a politician unable to get away with it.

And it was a hefty fine too.

Edited by _ORB_ on 18/07/2022 at 20:20

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - Crickleymal

What's worrying is her lack of ability to learn. Being caught once, especially in the position she holds, is bad enough, being caught 5 times is dreadful.

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - Terry W

I am not very bothered if those in positions of trust and authority make an occasional breach of rules. Through inattention, or sometimes knowingly, we will all have been guilty of (say) 38 in a 30 limit and mostly get away with it.

Perfection is for saints - I would rather my "betters" were normal people with broadly normal behaviours and opinions, not the sanctimonious and flawless.

However five times in a few months suggests a total disregard for the rules. Having already probably received one or two penalty notices before the arrival of the third demonstrates either a complete disregard and/or utter stupidity. She should be fired.

Any - Schadenfreude, a little light relief - Engineer Andy

I am not very bothered if those in positions of trust and authority make an occasional breach of rules. Through inattention, or sometimes knowingly, we will all have been guilty of (say) 38 in a 30 limit and mostly get away with it.

Perfection is for saints - I would rather my "betters" were normal people with broadly normal behaviours and opinions, not the sanctimonious and flawless.

However five times in a few months suggests a total disregard for the rules. Having already probably received one or two penalty notices before the arrival of the third demonstrates either a complete disregard and/or utter stupidity. She should be fired.

Sadly it demonstrates the penchant of politicos over the last 25 years for ignoring their own rules/laws (and often using their position to avoid the consequences) because they believe they should only apply to the Plebs.

Unfortunately they can't be fired as they work directly (and have no responsibility towards any other politician, local or national) for the voters. MPs can now be 'recalled', though I think only after a custodial sentence is given for an offence.

The US system (as recently demonstrated in a good few states and especially California) seem to allow 'recalls' more easily, though you still need a large number of signatures from locals. The bar needs to be high enough to stop 'speculative' recalls by disgruntled opposition activsts (of any hue).