What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - MrHutch
I recently bought a 62 plate partner van. The previous owner was a council.
It’s limited to 62mph.
The council it came from are adamant the speed limiter is set in the ecu and there is no aftermarket limiter in place. (Various bits of the dash were stripped and nothing found either)
I had my local garage remove the limiter in the diagnostics but it still won’t go over 62.
Has he missed something obvious?
Is there any reason this would be a dealer only thing?
It’s been suggested to remap the whole ecu but this is expensive, especially if it doesn’t work!
Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - badbusdriver

Clearly your garage has missed something obvious (like the speed limiter!) otherwise it would go over 62mph. There are different types of limiter which require different means to deal with.

Is it really such an issue?, the only roads on which you can (legally) exceed 60mph in a van such as yours is a motorway. On a dual carriageway it is 60mph and 50mph on a single carriageway.

My VW Caddy van (ex British Gas) is limited to 70mph and it never even crossed my mind to look into removing the limiter.

Clearly your garage has missed something obvious (like the speed limiter!) otherwise it would go over 62mph. There are different types of limiter which require different means to deal with.

Is it really such an issue?, the only roads on which you can (legally) exceed 60mph in a van such as yours is a motorway. On a dual carriageway it is 60mph and 50mph on a single carriageway.

My VW Caddy van (ex British Gas) is limited to 70mph and it never even crossed my mind to look into removing the limiter.

My local garage used a diagbox to change the limit, it let him do it but the van still won’t go over 62mph. I’m well aware of the limits in vans but that 8mph or so makes a massive difference when you’ve a queue behind you on the motorway as you try and overtake a truck! :)

Edited by MrHutch on 14/07/2022 at 18:49

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - alan1302

Is the Partner Combi not classed as a car derived van and can do 70mph on dual carriageways and 60mph on single? Like your VW Caddy?

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - paul 1963

One for the Doc I think? I know the Berlingos ( same van basically) are factory limited to 99mph

The Doc?
Don’t think I’d want to do 99mph in a Berlingo mind you :)
Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s likely a main dealer can remove the limiter , the programme is in the engine ecu. However, I don’t think they will do it . A re- map by a professional company may be the only way forward.
It’s likely a main dealer can remove the limiter , the programme is in the engine ecu. However, I don’t think they will do it . A re- map by a professional company may be the only way forward.

Thanks for the advice. Nearest Peugeot dealer said they would have a look, I was just a little concerned about the cost of having a look at a main dealer!

Is the Partner Combi not classed as a car derived van and can do 70mph on dual carriageways and 60mph on single? Like your VW Caddy?

No, the only exemptions are very small vans like the Corsa and Fiesta, along with some double cab pickups (although I have no idea how this is determined?).

Also, the Partner is not derived from a car, it is actually the other way round. It was designed from the start as a van, from which the car was derived.

However, going by what I see on the roads, very few van drivers stick to the speed they are supposed to.

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - John F

No, the only exemptions are very small vans ......

Vans are allowed to do 70 if the dual carriageway is a motorway.

www.gov.uk/speed-limits

www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-van...s

www.gov.uk/speed-limits

That is why I said yesterday that the only roads the OP can legally exceed 60mph is a motorway (which is not a dual carriageway)

www.gov.uk/speed-limits

That is why I said yesterday that the only roads the OP can legally exceed 60mph is a motorway (which is not a dual carriageway)

Cheers for hijacking the thread…I only wanted some advice not a lecture on speed limits.

Cheers for hijacking the thread…I only wanted some advice not a lecture on speed limits.

Nobody is hijacking the thread, it is a valid and relevant point. And while you may know what the limits are, many don't, assuming a van like a Partner is subject to the same as a car.

If you had said you'd be spending most of your driving on the motorway, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - _

People are often caught out driving these sorts of vehicles, and I read about it often enough.

Other posters are giving information, NOT lecturing.

BBD and John F are a font of knowledge, sharing information and trying to help.

ORB, Moderator.

As a personal reply to your question, the best and safest place to get it decoded (if possible) is at a peugeot dealer.

Thanks for the advice, as I said that’s all I was asking for.
I’m sure BBD is a valued and knowledgeable contributor.
However sarcasm (1st line, 1st reply) is unnecessary.
Also I didn’t ask for speed limit advice or opinion. Thanks.
Thanks for the advice, as I said that’s all I was asking for. I’m sure BBD is a valued and knowledgeable contributor. However sarcasm (1st line, 1st reply) is unnecessary. Also I didn’t ask for speed limit advice or opinion. Thanks.

I am sorry if you were offended by my comment, it was meant tongue in cheek.

You may have started the thread, but it doesn't belong to you. The post of mine (11.46) which resulted in the accusation of hijacking the thread is my responding to a comment from someone other than you. This section of the forum is titled motoring discussion, so thread subjects are discussed, which can often lead to drift, but that is the nature of it.

There is a technical section in the forum (which this would qualify as), where specific questions are answered and (usually) nothing else.

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - Andrew-T
Thanks for the advice, as I said that’s all I was asking for. I’m sure BBD is a valued and knowledgeable contributor. However sarcasm (1st line, 1st reply) is unnecessary. Also I didn’t ask for speed limit advice or opinion. Thanks.

You seem very particular about what kind of 'advice' is acceptable, and I personally don't see much evidence of sarcasm. If you are so easily offended, I wonder how you will get on at the Pug dealer ...

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - Adampr

No, the only exemptions are very small vans like the Corsa and Fiesta, along with some double cab pickups (although I have no idea how this is determined?).

On a recent.... ahem.....speed awareness course, I was told that the police determine it entirely based on what the V5 says. How it gets on the V5 is anyone's guess but, as a regular driver, that's how you're supposed to know.

In all honesty, I had no idea before the course that vans had a lower speed limit. I have been merrily driving rented transits at 70 for years.

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - _

I think that the OP question has been answered to the best of our knowledge now, so I don't think anymore can/should be said.

Thanks to all who did try to assist.

ORB

On a recent.... ahem.....speed awareness course, I was told that the police determine it entirely based on what the V5 says. How it gets on the V5 is anyone's guess but, as a regular driver, that's how you're supposed to know.

In all honesty, I had no idea before the course that vans had a lower speed limit. I have been merrily driving rented transits at 70 for years.

When I first became a window cleaner I had a 3.5t Iveco Daily, but when I changed that for a Transit Connect i looked into the speed limit for a smaller van. it seemed like a bit of a grey area and wasn't that easy to get definitive info on exactly which smaller vans qualified as having the same limit as a car. I just assumed the lower limit to be on the safe side!. So the blanket term of LCV does, to me anyway, make things simpler.

Though I still find it odd that a small van weighing as little as 2000kg fully laden (so maybe 1400kg kerb weight) cannot legally exceed 60mph on a dual carriageway, but a massive SUV weighing more than 2500kg unladen can do 70mph?

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - alan1302

When I first became a window cleaner I had a 3.5t Iveco Daily, but when I changed that for a Transit Connect i looked into the speed limit for a smaller van. it seemed like a bit of a grey area and wasn't that easy to get definitive info on exactly which smaller vans qualified as having the same limit as a car. I just assumed the lower limit to be on the safe side!. So the blanket term of LCV does, to me anyway, make things simpler.

Though I still find it odd that a small van weighing as little as 2000kg fully laden (so maybe 1400kg kerb weight) cannot legally exceed 60mph on a dual carriageway, but a massive SUV weighing more than 2500kg unladen can do 70mph?

Is very odd - I drive a Vauxhall Combo Life...can do 70MPH on a dual carriageway but if I have the van version I can only do 60MPH even if the car was carrying the same payload.

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - galileo

Years ago I had side windows put in a car-derived van because otherwise it was limited to 40 mph.

This was only allowed once they were 7 years old, because in those days van prices were less than the similar car because there was no purchase tax.

Years ago I had side windows put in a car-derived van because otherwise it was limited to 40 mph.

Still the case in a way. Compare a Caddy to a Caddy Life, Partner to Partner Combi (nee Rifter) etc.

Peugeot Partner Combi - 62 mph limiter removal - Will deBeast

If the main dealer won't help, try Gendan. www.gendan.co.uk/

I needed to change the TPMS trigger values on my Citroen Relay - I bought software and cables from them to do it.

Edited by Will deBeast on 15/07/2022 at 16:49