What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Venga - KIA keys - _

The old couple who i bought the Venga from a few weeks back finally found the 2nd key, but said that it didn't work and that the Kia dealer, (when encoding the last one after they had lost it) had "messed it up"

Tried it and it opened the doors, so went to a branch of that well known High st key co, Lo and behold One new battery later, all works as it should.

Testing and cost of a new remote battery. £10.oo.

They were going to book into main dealer would have been half an hour plus VAT.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - John F

Owing to my limited knowledge of modern electronics such keys and their detectors are little short of magic. One of my Audi key's battery is failing, so I have to ensure it is in a jacket pocket near the centre of the car so the start button works. Recently a symbol of a key has started to appear, to tell me its battery is low. How on earth does this almost sentient car know this? At least I feel secure in the knowledge that in the event of complete failure I can still insert its uniquely shaped metal prong into the door and ignition lock barrels in the traditional manner.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - Chris M

ORB, You could have saved yourself £9 by trying a new battery yourself first. That's a gallon of petrol for God's sake!

And John F, I despair. Your reluctance to spend money on maintenance has reached new heights ;)

Kia Venga - KIA keys - elekie&a/c doctor
The keyless entry system monitors key transmission signal strength. If it’s below spec , then the info display will advise new key battery. On any car with remote or keyless entry , I would advise checking that the emergency blade key actually works in the door lock . I’ve seen so many cases where the lock mechanism has seized up due to non use , making unlocking the door very difficult
Kia Venga - KIA keys - groaver
The keyless entry system monitors key transmission signal strength. If it’s below spec , then the info display will advise new key battery. On any car with remote or keyless entry , I would advise checking that the emergency blade key actually works in the door lock . I’ve seen so many cases where the lock mechanism has seized up due to non use , making unlocking the door very difficult

Or that the blade key is in fact actually in the case.

I found that out a few weeks after collecting my current car.

The dealer couldn't understand why it wasn't there.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - Andrew-T

John F, I despair. Your reluctance to spend money on maintenance has reached new heights ;)

Depths ? :-)

And John F, I despair. Your reluctance to spend money on maintenance has reached new heights ;)

By choosing the word 'heights' rather than 'depths' makes me feel that 'admire' should have replaced 'despair'. I know 2032s are less than a pound each now but I'm just seeing how long it lasts before it actually fails.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - _

I know 2032s are less than a pound each now but I'm just seeing how long it lasts before it actually fails.

You are aware that some VW group keyfobs die when the battery is left "dead" for too long and it then needs to be recoded?

Applies to some other makes too.

Perhaps you'd like us to make a collection for a 2032

Someone will give tuppenceworth soon?

Edited by _ORB_ on 04/07/2022 at 13:06

Kia Venga - KIA keys - dan86

I know 2032s are less than a pound each now but I'm just seeing how long it lasts before it actually fails.

You are aware that some VW group keyfobs die when the battery is left "dead" for too long and it then needs to be recoded?

Applies to some other makes too.

Perhaps you'd like us to make a collection for a 2032

Someone will give tuppenceworth soon?

I found a bag of pennies in my old car before part xing it over a pound in ther I'll donate that ;-)

I'd be more than happy to donate a brand new CR2032 to John AND fit it for him.

John, If you can post your address on here and leave the fob behind the flower pot, I'll pop round to carry out the task and test it works correctly.

V. generous offer. No ulterior motive? I guess you just want to experience the 50-75mph acceleration time (3secs according to Audi). Anyway, no worries - i've found an old strip of three CR2032s in the depths of the battery drawer.

"I guess you just want to experience the 50-75mph acceleration time (3secs according to Audi)"

Well, as it's your petrol, it'd be silly not to :)

Kia Venga - KIA keys - _

"I guess you just want to experience the 50-75mph acceleration time (3secs according to Audi)"

With the amount of fuel in it, how far would you get.

And John, please what is your mpg.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - paul 1963

With the amount of fuel in it, how far would you get.

And John, please what is your mpg.

I suspect John being John it's got a fiver in it max :)

Kia Venga - KIA keys - moward
Enough to get to the end of the driveway :)

At least I feel secure in the knowledge that in the event of complete failure I can still insert its uniquely shaped metal prong into the door and ignition lock barrels in the traditional manner.

As this has to be possible in the event you foresee, I can see very little purpose in the gadget at all. I have long appreciated the value of central locking, but being able to avoid putting a key in the steering lock before driving is no chore really. On the downside, making it possible for the car to be driven while the holder of the key may be somewhere else, is a severe disadvantage - one which my daughter experienced some years ago. Luckily she realised the position before stopping the engine (fortunately her car didn't have stop/start ...)

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/07/2022 at 15:38

Kia Venga - KIA keys - _

On reflection, one of the things that this whole saga of the Lady losing her licence for medical reasons, (dementia) and the 10 years older husband being overwhelmed with everything, is that at an advanced age it is so easy to let things slip by easily. and "lose" a spare key.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - Xileno

On the downside, making it possible for the car to be driven while the holder of the key may be somewhere else, is a severe disadvantage - one which my daughter experienced some years ago. Luckily she realised the position before stopping the engine (fortunately her car didn't have stop/start ...)

I seem to remember the Megane I had would bleep loudly if the keycard was out of the certain designated range.

I seem to remember the Megane I had would bleep loudly if the keycard was out of the certain designated range.

I'm not certain what car this was, but not a Megane. Daughter had gone with husband, who handed the car over to her while keeping the 'key'. Car may have bleeped - I don't know - but not before she had travelled some distance.

Kia Venga - KIA keys - bathtub tom

making it possible for the car to be driven while the holder of the key may be somewhere else

Happened to my daughter too. She needed the car (Mazda), so hubby drove to the station and hopped out. Daughter drove home. Hubby had to catch a train back and taxi home. Made him very late!

Kia Venga - KIA keys - FP

On the downside, making it possible for the car to be driven while the holder of the key may be somewhere else, is a severe disadvantage - one which my daughter experienced some years ago. Luckily she realised the position before stopping the engine (fortunately her car didn't have stop/start ...)

During the "stop" phase of stop-start the car's electrical systems remain live, so I doubt there would have been a problem until the car was switched off.