What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Are cars with start buttons susceptible - Redcar01

My local police have said cars with start buttons need to put thier keys in a faraday bag. I thought only keyless was susceptible. Is that right

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - _

Cars with start buttons generally just need the key at a certain distance to start/open the doors, hence the use of signal boosters.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - elekie&a/c doctor
Keyless start cars , those where there is no ignition key slot , are easier to steal than a Ford Cortina . No tools required to break the lock , just a code grabber for the remote key and you’re off .
Are cars with start buttons susceptible - Big John
, are easier to steal than a Ford Cortina .

Hmm - Seem to remember early Fords could be opened with an average coin of the realm.

However myself I'm avoiding Keyless Entry/start like the plague on any car purchase. Such a security hole.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - misar

Most of the current keyless systems have either a simple key press sequence to turn the fob radio off or a motion detector in the fob to switch the radio off automatically when the fob is not in use. Mine has the former and I have the habit of using it whenever the car is parked.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - RT

Hmm - Seem to remember early Fords could be opened with an average coin of the realm.

However myself I'm avoiding Keyless Entry/start like the plague on any car purchase. Such a security hole.

And more complication to go wrong, especially outside original warranty.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - dan86

I've had 3 cars now with keyless entry and go and not once have I had a problem with it one car is still 8n use and 12 years old

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - _

They are more likely to be nicked, but no more likely to have problems unless like all kar keys they go through a wash cycle when left in trouser pockets.

Edited by _ORB_ on 03/07/2022 at 08:34

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - RT

I've had 3 cars now with keyless entry and go and not once have I had a problem with it one car is still 8n use and 12 years old

Which just proves you've been lucky - buy a lottery ticket!

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - pd

There are a heck of a lot of cars with keyless start on the roads now, even if they don't all have full hands free entry.

Many Mk 4 Mondeos from 2008 on have it, pretty much any JLR since 2008ish, any 3 Series since 2012.....loads of cars.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - Xileno

I think the first was the Laguna MK2. We had them at work when they first came out - 2001 I think. It wasn't keyless entry but you slotted the card into the dash and pressed a button.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - pd

Yes, Mk 2 Laguna has it. Base models had the system where you had to out the card in the slot, higher spec ones you could keep it in your pocket.

The same system then turned up on Megane and Clio. A surprising number of quite old Renaults have the full hands free system along with some Nissans which borrowed the tech.

Either way there are millions are cars fitted with it in the UK and doesn't seem to have caused a crisis.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - dan86

Which just proves you've been lucky - buy a lottery ticket!

Never win on the lottery gave up playing it years ago but I've never owned a lemon of a car always had a good eye for them

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - Ian_SW

I might be wrong, but I thought the technology used for Keyless Entry/Start and just Keyless Start was very different.

The Keyless Entry type 'key' has an active radio transmitter in the key - which is the sort vulnerable to relay theft where a thief boosts the signal, unlocks the car and drives away when the key is in your front room.

With Keyless Start, the car doesn't even look for the key until it's unlocked by someone pressing the button, and the key itself is normally passive I believe, effectively an RFID tag, though one which can change its code each time it is used to stop someone cloning it. Even when cars had a physical key, the same technology was what was the primary protection stopping the car from starting (and why any car built since the mid 1990s cannot be hot-wired).

Keyless Entry is possibly the most pointless bit of technology ever fitted on a car. People argue that means you can unlock the car without using your hands, but that's no use as you still need your hands to open the door.

Keyless Start is sensible as it avoids having a physical lock barrel in the car, though I wish manufacturers would fit a slot in which to insert the "Key" whilst driving - I hate having it rattle around in the cupholder and if I leave it in my trouser pocket it is uncomfortable.

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - Andrew-T

I hate having it rattle around in the cupholder and if I leave it in my trouser pocket it is uncomfortable.

Might there be a small pocket for such an item behind the sun visor ? There used to be one, back in the day ....

Are cars with start buttons susceptible - jchinuk
I think you are correct, whereas the police officer in the original post is a bit confused between 'keyless entry' and 'keyless starting'.

Didn't early Minis have a button to press to start, albeit after using a key to switch on the ignition?
Are cars with start buttons susceptible - Sparrow

They have probably changed it for the worse, but my 3 series Bm has a slot into which you have to put the key. It's a simple slot in the dash. Helpfully, while the keyfob is in there, it wirelessly charges its battery. It doesn't have keyless entry, but no reason why it couldn't.

It has a start button.

Edited by Sparrow on 04/07/2022 at 14:14