What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Random

DS set to pioneer ditching touchscreens. Hopefully others will follow suit.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/ds-design-ch...s

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Bolt

DS set to pioneer ditching touchscreens. Hopefully others will follow suit.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/ds-design-ch...s

Depends how far they want to go, as long as the instrument panel stays as a screen and the centre panel for Maps, they are welcome to get rid of sensor buttons, manual buttons will do me fine as sensor buttons never seem sensitive enough to me, or the other way round, too sensitive....

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - badbusdriver

The problem I have with this is twofold. First, the DS guy doesn't want to ditch touchscreens because of the potential danger in having both such a large and distracting screen or screens in the drivers eyeline, and the difficulty in operating controls on it. No, he wants to ditch them because they are not sexy when switched off!. Second, what would they be replaced with?. Given he is only concerned about the aesthetics, could whatever the touchscreens are replaced with be even more distracting?

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Zippy123

Has he not seen the screens that pop up from behind the dashboard. I am sure something similar can be done on a larger scale.

I am all for a return to knobs. On of the reasons for choosing my current Tucson was that they still use knobs and buttons for AC and fans.

But it can go too far - the original Vauxhall Mokka with Sat Nav had too many buttons:

media.evo.co.uk/image/private/s--f-NqpswC--/f_auto...g

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Terry W

Time was when a measure of the quality of your motor was the number of buttons and knobs on the dashboard. How times change! I hope we don't return to this.

ICE, wipers, lights, cruise control and gears (auto paddles) can all be operated without moving hands from wheel.

The only thing I may occasionally change when on the move is climate control - although usually just leave this at a constant setting.

Separate knobs and switches will no doubt increase costs and probably failures - more hardware, more wires, visually cluttered. Other settings - sat nav defaults, clock, door locks, station search, etc do not normally need to be operated on the move anyway..

ICE, wipers, lights, cruise control and gears (auto paddles) can all be operated without moving hands from wheel.

That was the case well before touchscreens became the the big thing.

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Bilboman

The best ancillary controls are those which (a) fall easily to hand; (b) are intuitive rather than wacky, and (c) don't need to be looked at whilst operating - better still, are actually out of direct sight, meaning that a driver is unlikely to take eyes off the road to look for them and is more likely to learn the position and operation from muscle memory, like typists of old.
No-one looks at the indicator or wiper stalk these days, and the main light switch is either a twist of the former or a good solid rotary knob near the wheel. (Even with automatic lights, we need to switch them on in fog!)
I much prefer a "pod" for ICE controls, as steering wheel buttons are rarely intuitive and if the wheel is anything other than straight ahead, fiddly to use. Citroën were decades ahead of the competition with the ancillary pods on the Visa, GSA and CX, but for some reason they died out. Frankly, I wouldn't miss in-car touchscreens if they were abolished tomorrow.

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - John F

......... steering wheel buttons are rarely intuitive and if the wheel is anything other than straight ahead, fiddly to use.

I disagree. For one thing, the wheel is almost always at or nearly straight ahead. Our 2019 Peugeot 2008 has a touch screen but it is rarely touched when on the move as once the radio stations are set up they can be selected from a steering wheel rotary switch. Heater controls are traditional buttons and switches. Incidentally, the non-touch screen on my Audi will aesthetically disappear into the dashboard at the touch of a button.

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Ian_SW

No-one looks at the indicator or wiper stalk these days, and the main light switch is either a twist of the former or a good solid rotary knob near the wheel. (Even with automatic lights, we need to switch them on in fog!)

Probably best not to buy a new VAG car then if you like a good solid control for the headlights and fog lights. The good solid rotary knob in the Leon, and a lot of other VAG cars I believe, has been replaced (in the same position at the side of the steering column) by a near featureless touch sensitive panel. As well as having the controls to turn the headlights on/off (which admittedly won't be needed much due to automatic lights), other parts of the panel switch which are near impossible to find when driving switch the fog lights on/off. Also rather inexplicably the heated rear window and front windscreen demister are switched from there!

So if you see someone driving with the windscreen misted up and the rear fog lights on in one of these cars, it's not entirely their own fault...

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - barney100
Citroen used to have a pod operable with your hands on the wheel. If you worked on it you’d never have to remove hands from the wheel. I don’t really need a screen even for sat nab as the phone one is fine.
Should read take your eyes off the road.
Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Sulphur Man

Touchscreens and good physical controls will soon be the differentiator between mass market and prestige/premium motoring.

There's nothing bespoke or individual about a touchscreen. They exist to cut cost across multiple models. Whereas vehicles with quality dedicated switchgear will start to look and feel far more premium than those with everything relegated to a screen, regardless of size.

Thankfully the likes of Honda have said they will never relegate climate controls and core switchgear to a screen. The dashboard of the brand new Civic Hybrid looks very premium, as a result. I like Volvo's current crop of cars, but theyve gone too far with touchscreen controls. Especially for a company with a well-earned reputation for safety.

The best designed dashboard I've experienced was the Honda CR-Z. Whoever designed that can sign off knowing that it can't be beaten for usability and logic.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 30/06/2022 at 22:00

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Adampr

I hate touchscreens, mostly because I don't seem to have the skill to actually press the right buttons. I don't understand the climate thing, though. Other than the demister, why would you need to change it? I just put mine on 20 and leave it.

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Andrew-T

I hate touchscreens, mostly because I don't seem to have the skill to actually press the right buttons.

I don't like them anywhere, but I concede that they are a clever bit of tech. I think my skin is drier than average, which means I have to breathe on my fingers or hit the screen harder than planned. And then there is the difficulty of hitting the correct tiny 'key' on an iPhone without using a sharp implement. Tech should be designed for users, not the other way round.

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - SLO76
I absolutely hate touch screen and joystick controls in a car. They’re distracting and long-winded. Some of our newer coaches have a joystick control system for heating and lighting controls which involve the driver taking his/her eye off the road for far too long to carry out simple tasks that older vehicles do via a simple button or rotary dial. I’ll stick to a simple layout even if it means shunning all modern cars in the future for my own personal transport when old Terrance the Toyota finally dies, sometime after the next ice age.
Not mention screens get full of finger marks which would be an annoyance.
Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - Bolt
Not mention screens get full of finger marks which would be an annoyance.

Some think they are self cleaning and wonder why the screen losses touch sensitivity, For some its like the rest of the car, they cannot be bothered to clean or hoover them!.....

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - _

I thought "Touchscreens to go" was either an IT delivery service, or a removable touchscreen, (android or apple?)

Touchscreens to go - could this be a new trend? - edlithgow

Don't tink "pioneer" is quite the right word, since it seems to imply that dispensing with this junk is somehow a technological breakthrough.

Anyone who's been driving for longer than, what, a decade or so? knows touchscreens are not some kind of inevitable natural phenomenon.

I is a little ironic that DS wants to do away with touchscreens. I watched a video review of the new DS 4, and while the reviewer (Rory Reid, ex Top Gear presenter) was very impressed with the car overall, he really wasn't impressed with the infotainment system and touchscreens saying it was very awkward and not intuitive at all!.

But I remember reading that if there is a small ledge or shelf right below the touchscreen, it makes it much easier to use because you can use your pinky to steady your hand making it easier to hit whatever you are aiming for.