What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
5 litre Mercedes - clean air compliant - Bilboman

The law seems pretty straightforward and the council appear to have made a mistake (or several), but it seems truly surreal to wave a 20 year old 5 litre car into a Clean Air Zone!
(Real World consumption from HJ for a 2006 "Blue Efficiency" model quotes official mpg of 30.1, which I believe may not be achievable in an urban environment, ahem.)
https:/www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1628621/driving-fine-clean-air-zones-driver-fined-compliant-vehicle-birmingham

5 litre Mercedes - clean air compliant - badbusdriver

As far as I can tell, the size of the engine makes little difference, only that it be at least euro 4 compliant. This covers petrol cars from 2006 onwards, but presumably the Merc's engine also complies despite being older. Admittedly it does seem counter intuitive, but various classic cars will undoubtably be much dirtier and thirstier than a 5 litre V8 Merc, and they will also be exempt from the charges.

5 litre Mercedes - clean air compliant - John F

As far as I can tell, the size of the engine makes little difference, only that it be at least euro 4 compliant. This covers petrol cars from 2006 onwards, but presumably the Merc's engine also complies despite being older. Admittedly it does seem counter intuitive, but various classic cars will undoubtably be much dirtier and thirstier than a 5 litre V8 Merc, and they will also be exempt from the charges.

Indeed so. My dirty old 'historic' TR7 is ULEZ exempt, as is my thirsty eventual classic 2005 6litre Audi. But the well engineered W12 is one of the cleanest engines around - the emissions test at 71,013 miles reads... CO (<0.20%) 0.00, HC (<200ppm) 1.

5 litre Mercedes - clean air compliant - Palcouk

It has nothing to do with engine size or age

My wife old Rav4 petrol is compliant but my son in laws younger Honda petrol is not

5 litre Mercedes - clean air compliant - badbusdriver

It has nothing to do with engine size or age

Actually it is age related. Euro 4 emissions were introduced in Jan 2005 and from Jan 2006 all new cars registered had to comply.

Cars registered before that date didn't have to, but some did.