What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - John F

At last, a long distance opportunity to check our 2019 Peugeot 1.2 puretech EAT6 130 computer accuracy - a holiday down to Cognac, mainly motorways (smooth clear French ones, bumpy crowded English ones) with a bit of local driving during our stay.

Starting mileage approx 13,500, so front tyres (presumably providing the info) approx half worn. SWMBO drives cautiously and slowly, so long term computer no. 1 currently reads 6214 miles, 42.7mpg, 32 avr.mph. I drove quickly but economically (cruise control no faster than 75mph even on the 130kph stretches). On return from this 'brim to brim' trip, computer no. 2 reads 1377 miles, 47.0mpg, 48 avr. mph.

Actual (E10) fuel used (Tesco, E Leclerc and Intermarche supermarkets) was 137.90 litres which gave a true figure of 45.4 mpg, so the computer is roughly 3% out. The long distance ensures that a large error of plus or minus 3 litres is needed to alter that by only plus or minus 1mpg. Incidentally, price ranged from 199.9 to 208.9 euros/l., much the same as UK.

I hope this might amuse some fellow geeks and wonder if anyone else has checked their computer for optimism/pessimism?

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - craig-pd130

The mpg calculations from our 2015 Corsa 1.4 (90bhp) are surprisingly accurate, always within 1mpg of the calculated brim-to-brim figure.

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - RT

The most consistent trip computer I had was a 2000 Vauxhall Astra, consistently 4.5% optimistic - the worst was a a2011 Hyundai Santa Fe which varied from 5% pessimistic to 15% optimistic.

I don't trust trip computers!

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - Andrew-T

I haven't checked my Pug 207 for many years, but my early impression was that it was pretty close to reality.

The interesting question is how the computer package is expected to measure miles (presumably) accurately, while over-estimating speed to comply with speedometer regs. Presumably the way round that is to underestimate time ? :-) In mechanical days, of course, distance was commonly overestimated (certainly by Pugs) so I guess the same still applies, tho my impression is that electronic discrepancies are smaller.

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/06/2022 at 14:24

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - madf

My 2012 Honda Jazz reads mpg 4% better than actual Fuelly.

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - pd

If your trip computer has reached 6200 miles then it is probably no longer calculating and won't read correctly.

For some reason all PSA cars have a trip limit of 10,000km so once you reach that without a reset they don't do much.

Edited by pd on 24/06/2022 at 15:32

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - Mike H

Our 2019 Honda CR-V hybrid's readout is always a minimum of 10% optimistic, and sometimes creeping towards 15%. Currently covered 46,000km at an overall brim-to-brim average of 42mpg, with a best tank of 47mpg.

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - Terry W

My Peugeot 308 EAT8 over estimates by 3 or 4 mpg - approx 7%.

I get an indicated ~52mpg on a long journey (150miles +) driven fairly gently (cruise 65-70 mph). Around town and short journeys ~42mpg.

I invariably brim the tank from nearly empty and reset trip and mpg indicators. Easy to work out actual mpg over the preceding 350-450 miles so I am fairly confident of the result.

Only issue may be that the miles recorded is over reading creating the illusion of better mpg. Need to check using satnav!

Any - Accuracy of mpg computers - Big John

The on board computer of my 2014 Skoda Superb 1.4tsi is surprisingly accurate. My previous 2003 Superb 1.9pd was rather pessimistic.