What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ANY - Hourly rates for labour - _

Having had the Venga re-fettled and fixed this week by a well regarded local tyre fitter/exhaust/mot place,

I was somewhat surprised to see the hourly rate for labour charge was £45 plus Vat.

Not complaining mind you...

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/06/2022 at 09:30

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - Andrew-T

Must be a proper backstreet place ORB. Even round here - not a particularly expensive area - some labour rates rose recently to £70.

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - catsdad

It’s not the rate but how efficient they are. My indie is £55 plus vat per hour. Yesterday he diagnosed a very intermittent “harmonic” wheel noise which needed two road tests (the second with two staff) to trace. He then sourced and fitted a new rear wheel bearing. All for 1.5 hours labour. Very fair I thought.

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - FoxyJukebox
Friend had a Volvo short service last week that he said was nothing but a visual check round, new oil, filter , paperwork with ticks on it plus a quick wash. Guess the cost?
Answer-£340
ANY - Hourly rates for labour - sammy1

£45.00 per hour at my local garage which offer all services for cars and vans. The private business also runs a small fleet of HGVs and its technicians are excellent. The local BMW/MINI franchise charges well in excess of £100 per hour also has the cheek to charge for disposal of old oil/filters etc £15 and also £21 for resetting the cars service history. Not even a discount on the MOT!

I suppose with their cars on condition based service and not being serviced so often then they have to make money some way!

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - Chris M

I think the answer ORB is that fitters at the tyre/exhaust centres are the lowest of the low. Spend their days doing straightforward tasks, frequently untrained, supply their own tools etc. Next level up will be carrying out more varied tasks and perhaps need a little more training/experience and can command slightly higher wages.

A friend of my son's is a trained chef and reasonably competent at it. Prior to Covid he got fed up with being relatively poorly paid and working evenings/weekends with a young family and walked into a job at a well known quick fit place. His only experience was spannering his own cars. Slightly better money, better hours, but missed the kitchen so went back to it after a few months.

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - JonestHon

I sometime wonder if the intermediate and full service with a year between is actually the best pattern for modern cars.

If you had a car in the 90's it was the norm to do a small and big service in alternating years, 30 odd years later and cars are are built to a much better quality so why not do the essential oil change every year and the big items like brake fluid, coolant etc' when they are scheduled?

If you had a car in the 90's it was the norm to do a small and big service in alternating years, 30 odd years later and cars are are built to a much better quality ...

I'm not sure I agree with that - tho I suppose cars are assembled to a greater extent by robots than they were. But when my indie looks under my Pug 306 for the MoT he says 'they don't make them like this any more' and I think I know what he means.

It’s not the rate but how efficient they are. My indie is £55 plus vat per hour. Yesterday he diagnosed a very intermittent “harmonic” wheel noise which needed two road tests (the second with two staff) to trace. He then sourced and fitted a new rear wheel bearing. All for 1.5 hours labour. Very fair I thought.

Thanks for that, So a question for people in the know nowadays.

Car on lift, remove wheels, strip trackrod ends refit, refit wheels, do tracking...

invoiced 1 hour.

Car on lift, rear wheels off, 2 rear shock absorbers changed, again, invoiced 1 hour.

4 new tyres fitted and tracking done as well.

When the clutch was done a while back, invoiced 2.8 hours to previous owner.

the kia actually has a full service (dealer) history for the first 7 years and this indie since.

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/06/2022 at 12:25

That sounds more than reasonable, ORB, but I am wondering what your 'question' is ?

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - edlithgow

That sounds more than reasonable, ORB, but I am wondering what your 'question' is ?

Does there have to be a question?

I'm told here it runs between 750 and 1000NT an hour (non dealership)

At current exchange rate thats roughly 20 to 27 quid.

Um...How do you like them apples?

Edited by edlithgow on 23/06/2022 at 13:32

I was not very clear.

What do people think of the times for the trackrod ends and the shockers.

By the way Kia in Colchester are £140 an hour...

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - paul 1963

Seems correct to me ORB, most places have a 1 hour minimum labour rate regardless, I know when I do repairs for my local model shop I charge a hours labour whether its a ten minute or 59 minute job...

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - Palcouk

A local BMW franchise is £300/hr

I do admin work for a local BMW indie and its not uncommon to see repair bills of £5k + on a car not that old and less than 60k miles

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - sammy1

If you take out the modern electrics cars are basically the same as when first invented although modern components are much more reliable. I use my own experience of having done jobs on cars often on the side of the road and without the facilities and tools of a modern garage so it is easy to work out what time a track rod or suspension arm should take a garage and the cost. Then add the killer VAT which murders every ones pocket.

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - Terry W

There are few ways left for a franchised main dealer to make any money.

Selling new cars - very easy to simply search for cheapest source. Pushes margins down.

Selling s/h cars - will need inspection, warranty. Sourcing trade ins means giving a competitive price - alternative buyers are easily accessible - eg: WBAC etc. Dealer has less bargaining power if they are ex lease or fleet. - professional sellers and contracts.

So the only thing left to exploit is servicing and repairs where the punter thinks value exists in a dealer service history or wants to avoid possibly validating the warranty.

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - mcb100
And the aftersales revenue stream will diminish in years to come as we transition to electric.
No oils, filters, fuel filters, plugs, etc, just a cabin filter and a visual inspection of brakes and tyres that will wear out more slowly than they do today.
Big changes coming for how a dealer works.
... just a cabin filter and a visual inspection of brakes and tyres that will wear out more slowly than they do today.

Not sure about the tyres, given the acceleration EVs are reputed to have. More screaming away from the lights, perhaps ?

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - paul 1963

I agree Andrew, my limited experience with fully electric vehicles has shown me there is is still plenty to do under the bonnet, as you say Tyre's and brakes are number one plus the last one I had a nose around ( Citroën) had at least 2 radiators that I could see ( air conditioning and motor/ battery coolant I presume?) Plus all the normal suspension and steering components.

I also found a filter of some description but couldn't work out what is was filtering !

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - Adampr

Pollen filter maybe?

Under the bonnet of my electric car doesn't look a lot different from a petrol car, to be honest. I'm sure there's plenty to go wrong, just not oil or fuel.

As for tyres, it's certainly very easy to spin the wheels when you pull away. Part of that, though, might be the very efficient (i.e. not that grippy) tyres they stick on to maximise mileage. I think the wheelspin serves the manufacturers well in supporting the narrative that electric cars deliver a lot of torque. Either way, I would expect to have to replace them more often.

The other issue (and I appreciate I could prevent this) is that they have 'aero' wheels that sit nearly flush to the sidewalls across their width. If you happen to bash a granite kerb, you do the whole wheel. Lots of money in refurbs to come, I think.

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - John F

The hourly rate for labour should reflect expertise. It took ages for me and a non-mechanical pal to diagnose, dismantle and clean a seized Renault Clio's windscreen washer motor because we had never done it before. One of the several delays was the impossibility of pushing the repaired motor back into the plastic reservoir properly. I eventually realised it was necessary to remove the rubber collar from the motor inlet, push the collar into position in the reservoir outlet, and then push the motor back into the rubber collar. Doh!

ANY - Hourly rates for labour - edlithgow

If you take out the modern electrics cars are basically...

...either non-operational or illegal.