What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - _

Our neighbour is looking for a first car for his 17yr old boy,

The son is a spurs fan and refuses to contemplate anything red (a***nal colours)..

Doh !!!

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Metropolis.
Not sure if the a***nal is on purpose but if not and the site’s rude word filter was trying to remove reference the a r s e in a r s e n a l, it failed quite spectacularly lol
Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Falkirk Bairn

2nd hand Aygo - comes in white & black as well as r*d

Stupid pricing today means a 3 year old car today is almost the list price when new.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - blindspot

something old .small and cheap. start at the bottom and work up

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Alby Back
Yes, Aygo, C1 or a 108.
Post 2009 models have stronger clutches apparently. My son’s 2010 Aygo has lasted him for five and half years. He learned to drive in it and has abused it daily since. Despite his delusions that it is in fact a small McLaren, it just keeps going without fuss.
Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Adampr

Is it just reliability that makes people recommend Aygos etc? My dad had a C1 and I've had a 108 as a holiday hire car and, my goodness, they're awful

Edit: you can't beat a K11 Micra!

Edited by Adampr on 22/06/2022 at 22:00

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - RT
Yes, Aygo, C1 or a 108. Post 2009 models have stronger clutches apparently. My son’s 2010 Aygo has lasted him for five and half years. He learned to drive in it and has abused it daily since. Despite his delusions that it is in fact a small McLaren, it just keeps going without fuss.

Many of the earlier models have had their clutch replaced for the later type.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Andrew-T
Post 2009 models have stronger clutches apparently. My son’s 2010 Aygo has lasted him for five and half years.

What is it with modern cars ? In 60 years of driving none of my cars has had anything done to a clutch ?

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - paul 1963

ORB, would they be interested in the run around you've just bought? Sounds like a nice little car, you may even make a little profit!

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - _

ORB, would they be interested in the run around you've just bought? Sounds like a nice little car, you may even make a little profit!

The dad likes it, but too expensive for the son even with parents and grandparents helping. Budget is £1500-2000.

I did find a nice i20 but he won't have it as it is in Arsenal colours

Any ways, let them have it, or upset SWMBO and be in the doghouse? Youngrovergirl finds the Korando a bit bulky for her and she liked the previous venga a few years back.

As an aside, gave £2000 to previous owner, £65 rear light £60 valets plus about £10 in shampoos and foam for me to do. Just under £500 for MOT, 2 trackrod ends and rear shocks and tyres.

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/06/2022 at 07:44

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - De Sisti

I did find a nice i20 but he won't have it as it is in a***nal colours

Tell him to grow up! It's only a car.

That's how it seems to us, but he probably realises what may happen to it if he is seen driving it ....

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - De Sisti

That's how it seems to us, but he probably realises what may happen to it if he is seen driving it ....

I suppose he doesn't associate with anything that is red?

Back on topic; How about a cheap Fiesta?

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Will deBeast

Quite a few of the young folk I know are passing their tests at 17, but delaying getting a car until they leave university.

Apparently being able to say they've had their licence for three/four years makes a big difference to insurance premiums.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Xileno

"Is it just reliability that makes people recommend Aygos etc?"

Plus cheap to tax, insure and fuel, fun little things to squirt around, characterful chain-driven cam three-cylinder engine where that option is fitted, don't seem to rust (at least not visibly), cheap to fix if something does break. Perfect starter car to me.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Alby Back
When or if my son decides to get something newer/bigger/posher or whatever, we’ll most probably just keep the old Aygo as well. Costs buttons to run and would make a handy spare car. Worth more to us as that than any residual monetary value left in it. We have plenty of space to park cars here fortunately.
I quite like it actually. It is pretty basic by modern standards in some ways, but oddly enough , that’s part of the appeal of it.
Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - daveyjp

Having owned a first gen Aygo for 4 years it was great until the French bits started failing, generally the electrics. Heater fan resistor is a known problem, central locking (our boot lock didn't work from new and had to be replaced).

Early cars also suffered water pump problems, design was changed. The early Aygos also let in water. Additional door gutters required, also leaked around the rear lights so check the spare wheel well.

I do still see ours occasionally and looks to be being used by a health carer. It's 16 this year, has only done 47,000 miles, latest MOT passed in January and it has never failed. The advisories this year were more than previous, suspension wear and brake pipe corrosion.

A neighbour has just bought a 10 year old 108 which looks tidy.

The greatly changed second version Aygo may be a better proposition.

Having owned a first gen Aygo for 4 years it was great until the French bits started failing, generally the electrics.

Oh dear, another 'racist' generalisation. Our Pug 207 has so far suffered one failed rear-door lock (presumably electrical) after about 12 years. Not a bad record IMHO. It's so easy to attribute statistics to some perceived national shortcoming, but when car parts can originate almost anywhere it's not easily proved.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Adampr

207s are fine until the German parts go wrong.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Gibbo_Wirral

But parts are cheap and plentiful, especially as many fit Citroens as well as Peugeots.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - SLO76
"Is it just reliability that makes people recommend Aygos etc?"

They’re great fun to drive, simple and robust. They’re an ideal first motor.
Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - Bromptonaut

My son started with a 107 after he left Uni and actually needed a car. Ran it for about five years.

Son in law was bought one for his 17th, learned on it and ran it through Uni. Handed it on to my daughter (now his wife) when they got a Skoda Octavia as a 'family' car. When she traded up to an e208 it was, by then worth pins, donated to a family friend. AFAIK she still runs it.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - paul 1963

My son started with a 107 after he left Uni and actually needed a car. Ran it for about five years.

Son in law was bought one for his 17th, learned on it and ran it through Uni. Handed it on to my daughter (now his wife) when they got a Skoda Octavia as a 'family' car. When she traded up to an e208 it was, by then worth pins, donated to a family friend. AFAIK she still runs it.

Nothing wrong with a 107, my son has one,had it for 4 or 5 years now, loves it to bits. I find it surprisingly comfortable to ride in, apart from regular servicing the only thing it's needed is a set of coils and they only failed because he allowed the plug gaps to open up.

Any - Buying a first car for a 17 year old - bathtub tom

My advice would be don't bother, particularly if the teen's making stipulations about colour.

SWMBO learned to drive late and was determined our daughters wouldn't make the same mistake. Their seventeenth birthday presents were driving lessons, until they passed - they'd been well drilled.

Our agreement was once they passed, we'd go fifty-fifty with the purchase of a car, insurance and tax. Eldest wanted a 'prole' car and I found her a Skoda - she was delighted. Youngest just wanted anything and I got her Metro.

They knew there wasn't much chance of making stipulations. I once bought a car and when they asked what colour it was, I truthfully answered 'no idea'. I thought it may have been blue, but when I collected it, it was maroon!