What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - Mr Ali Zaidi

Hello! First time post but long time reader of this great forum.

I am 42 and suffering from terrible back pain that seems to more onset when sitting in a car seat - something about the knees being above the hip/pelvis that triggers nerve pain. I seem to prefer cars with a more chair like driving position.

My current car is a 2006 lexus rx400h which is not ideal as on the highest seat setting and with my cushion I have to crink my neck and open the sunroof slide - made do with it but not good for longer journeys. I did sit in a Ford Galaxy and that was great but too large for my wife to use.

So I am keen to find a car with a deep footwell and high ceiling so it can accommodate a seat cushion and with a comfortable seat (lumbar etc), and wonder if anyone else has similar problems and what cars work for them. MPVs like galaxy are out due to overall size... some estates appear to have lots of headroom but then the seats are lower to the ground/foot well which puts me off.

I have looked at the VW Tiguan which seemed to have the right dimensions and space but within a manageable size overall (and looking at the ergoactive seat) but wondering if there were any other obvious candidates I might have totally discounted (not so fussed on make more a case of finding something that has room that wifey can also use for her school runs).

Many thanks,

Az

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - Alby Back
Whether or not you change your car, maybe it’d be a good investment to consult with a physiotherapist. Might be something that needs untangling?
I’ve had very good results from the advice and treatment from sports physios over the years.

Hi - sorry I didn't mention had the full suite of physio/osteo/chiro - MRIs, steriod injections and although much improved I am still finding sitting on anything a pain (soft squidy sofas are particularly bad for me). I spend most of my time on a kitchen bar stool on a raised desk so I get the "knee/hip drop" that takes the load of my sacroilliac joint.

Thanks

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - Adampr

What about something like a Peugeot Rifter? Still not exactly tiny, but smaller than a Galaxy. I find vans a lot more comfortable than cars for the same sort of reasons you mention, so a van-based MPV might work. There is the Toyota Proace too, but I think that's probably longer (and less refined).

Hi Adampr - I didnt even have the Peageot on my radar so will check that out thanks.

Yes funny you say that about the vans - my builder's ford transit was so much more comfortable...

I even resorted to taking out the carpet from my lexus to get that extra inch of height for my legs - that didnt make enough of a difference so thats back in now.

MPVs are an option but as I learnt sometimes manufacturers make the footwell level with the rest of the interior floor and some of the big MPVs (Estimata) dont' give you as much height as I thought as the whole floor is much higher.

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - badbusdriver

The Galaxy may appear huge, but it isn't really. It is only 9cm longer and 7cm wider than your Lexus.

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - alan1302

Hi Adampr - I didnt even have the Peageot on my radar so will check that out thanks.

If you like the Rifter then the Citroen Berlingo and the Vauxhall Combo Life are the same car so you may get a better deal on oen of those.

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - barney100

Any recommendation is a bit of a gamble. Get on your bike and go round the dealers to try everything available 'til you find one that suits.

True Sir (posted whilst cycling to dealer)

Thanks to all for the suggestions

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - badbusdriver

You have not said what the budget is, or what exactly is needed of the car re space, performance, gearbox type, etc.

But, a cheaper option could be the Hyundai ix20/Kia Venga (same car barring some minor styling and interior trim differences). This is quite a tall car but isn't an SUV, so the floor is quite low. Because they are so tall, they are very spacious for their size and because they are compact, they'd be nice and easy for your wife to handle. On sale up to 2018, so in the case of the Venga (with full dealer history), could still have up to 3 years manufacturers warranty remaining.

True Sir (posted whilst cycling to dealer)

Thanks to all for the suggestions

And just to point out, I'm pretty sure you can get done by the Police for this (rightly so)!

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - 72Trombones

The VW Tiguan ( I have one) has a lever 'manual' passenger side and 'electric' driver side. This pushes you up and flatter. Oddly I have just had an operation for my sacroiliac ( a fusion) I'm in my 60's. I found the Tiguan comfortable until my problem got so bad I could not sit in a car but had to lay on the back seats. Sitting raised does help on the whole. If your back gets worse it may be worth asking to see a Consultant. My first steroid injection ( done at an angle into joint ) did not work, but the 2nd was done straight down into the joint. It gave me a week ( only) relief but showed where the problem was. I had SIJ fusion, but it's a big recovery. Good luck with all that. I'm now cured.

@badbusdriver I was of course joking :)

72Trombones - Wow thanks for sharing your journey. I saw a consultant had injections on my left/right side as a nerve block (my issue is L5/S1 with some annular fissure, disc degenration and wear and tear)- we dont know exactly what triggers the pain but its mainly lying down on my left side and also sitting down especially when in bucket type seats (I dont remember the last time I sat on a sofa)... I dont feel any pain standing or moving around or even bending forwards/backwards... SIJ fusion would be a last resort for me and 3 years on from my back issue its settled down a little and I have learnt to live with it...Good to hear you are cured.

Apparently as you get older the discs become more fibrous (maybe more "stable" according to my osteo) and the brain/neurons rewire so the pain becomes more manageable. I hope this is the case.

Sat in a load of cars last week - Tiguans, Volvo XC40/XC60s, S-max, Range Rover... - few more before I take the plunge. Found the tiguan with the electric seats and lumbar (the massage function was a bit his and miss for me)...

Thanks all again!

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - John F

SIJ fusion would be a last resort for me and 3 years on from my back issue its settled down a little and I have learnt to live with it...

V wise. I have always been sceptical about alleged SI joint dysfunction and operative work done to 'cure' it. The sacroiliac joint is fused anyway as part of the very stable bowl of the pelvis. It cannot articulate, except when sometimes forced to do so, e.g. in pregnancy or by the gait from unequal length legs. Just as in the motor trade, there are medical professionals who, usually working 'privately', make a good living out of 'treating' musculoskeletal conditions which, thanks to the body's evolved self healing properties, tend to resolve over a period of time - the length of which is sometimes unacceptable, sometimes driving desperate people into procedures that they sometimes later regret. After hundreds of millions of years of horizontal evolution the spine, especially the intervertebral discs at its most vulnerable places (lower cervical and lower lumbar) has not yet evolved to cope with our adoption of a vertical posture, thus ensuring an almost indefinite source of income for such practitioners.

VW Tiguan - Advice for long suffering back pain in car - corax

SIJ fusion would be a last resort for me and 3 years on from my back issue its settled down a little and I have learnt to live with it...

V wise. I have always been sceptical about alleged SI joint dysfunction and operative work done to 'cure' it. The sacroiliac joint is fused anyway as part of the very stable bowl of the pelvis.

From what I've read, the SI joints aren't fused, they are connected to the pelvis by very strong ligaments. They can move but not by very much. The ligaments become more relaxed during childbirth which can cause pain as the joints move too much, or they can become injured.

I have some SI joint disfunction on the right side which is controlled by strengthening and stretching the muscles around it, and a support belt when doing physical work. I don't usuallty have pain, though it frequently inflames and I get nerve side effects which make you feel pretty lousy. I also have muscle atrophy on the right side of the back. I assume it is because my body has learnt to compensate with the left side to shy away from the weak side, which then of course produces it's own problems of muscle imbalance.

You are right about professionals though, and I regret spending as much as I have in order to get relief. In my view, chiropractors are a 'quick fix' to get you mobile again, but if your muscles are tight and weak, the joints will just get stuck again, then the cycle continues. I have an osteopath who I see occasionally, and that seems to work for me.

I can't imagine that a massage fuction on a car seat would be much good, because it would not be able to adapt depending on where the tightness is.