Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - Lee182

Morning all

After some advice but fearing the worst.

I am doing a restore job on a Ds3 1.6 ehdi bodywork/paint etc and the car has been sat for a few months, just turned it over some days but not driven.

I took it out for a 15min run around the block and white smoke was pouring out the back, checked the coolant and it had gone below the Min mark after I'd filled it to just under the max also it had turned a brownish colour.

Strange thing s the coolant has also returned to the same level after leaving it to cool.

Engine bay was very hot too around the turbo area.

I had it idling and it doesn't smoke which is odd and coolant seems OK.

Any ideas??

Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - Adampr

Could (but unlikely) just be condensation and the brown colour a bit of rust. Any 'mayo' in the oil?

Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - elekie&a/c doctor
Possibly oil cooler/heat exchanger leaking .

No mayo on the cap/dipstick.

It Is overdue a service but can't see that being the reason.

No drips underneath either. slight weep on the gearbox drain plug

Edited by Lee182 on 18/06/2022 at 13:39

Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - John F

I am not familiar with the anatomy of this engine but unless there is another way by which the coolant can escape and be contaminated apart from via a failed CHG, the answer to the question is, yes.

Cheers John, as I suspected really.

I am currently letting it tick over at the moment getting it up to temp gave it a few revs and white smoke came out then stopped when I stopped revving it.

Mobile mechanic said take it for another run! But going to leave it till he comes and has a look next week.

Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - edlithgow

I took it out for a 15min run around the block and white smoke was pouring out the back, checked the coolant and it had gone below the Min mark after I'd filled it to just under the max also it had turned a brownish colour.

Strange thing s the coolant has also returned to the same level after leaving it to cool.

Any ideas??

My best guess for your puzzling coolant level recovery is that a gas/air pocket is displaced/lost from the running engine, which, together with some coolant loss, lowers the coolant level.

Later on, combustion gases get into the cooling system and displace some coolant into the reservoir, raising its level again. This would imply head gasket breach or crack CH/block.

Not very convincing, but the best I can do offhand.

Any ideas??

My best guess for your puzzling coolant level recovery is that a gas/air pocket is displaced/lost from the running engine, which, together with some coolant loss, lowers the coolant level.

Later on, combustion gases get into the cooling system and displace some coolant into the reservoir, raising its level again. This would imply head gasket breach or crack CH/block.

Thanks, appreciate the comment.

Ive drained the coolant today as it was awful, brown and smelly shall we say!

Shame really as the rest of the car is in good order but never mind.

Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - elekie&a/c doctor
The Psa Dv6 engine is very robust and hg failure is not particularly common. As I suggested earlier, I would look at the oil cooler attached to the oil filter, this is where oil and coolant can mix due to a perished matrix.
Citroen ds3 1.6 ehdi - Has my Head Gasket gone? - edlithgow

Any ideas??

Thanks, appreciate the comment.

Ive drained the coolant today as it was awful, brown and smelly shall we say!

Shame really as the rest of the car is in good order but never mind.

I suppose an alternative explanation for the puzzling coolant level recovery MIGHT be that oil is replacing lost coolant. This would imply you were loosing oil from the engine.

Do you have a definite indication of oil in the coolant?

Rust in the coolant is quite common on old engines and wouldn't have much diagnostic significance or threaten immediate engine death.

Oil in the coolant is significant diagnostically, but, while it will reduce cooling efficiency, it doesnt itself threaten immediate engine death.

Coolant in the oil is similarly significant diagnostically, and, since it will reduce lubrication efficiency, could itself threaten immediate engine death.

If your oil and coolant are mixing via an oil cooler that would probably be easier to fix than a head gasket, but unless I'm missing something its hard to see how this would put much coolant into the combustion chambers, which your white exhaust smoke seems to imply.

There would be some getting in past the rings, but I'd doubt it would be enough to match your reported symptoms, though I could be wrong.

Edited by edlithgow on 20/06/2022 at 23:35

Small update,

Thanks very much for the comments, very much appreciated and it makes for interesting reading determined to get to the bottom of this one!

Here goes, possibly good(ish) news

White smoke has been replacing by black but seems to be only when revving the engine..

I have done a test using one of those cheap tests that you put blue liquid in and then put it in the expansion tank, ran it for 10 mins or so and revved it a little and it stayed blue.

Oil cooler sounds plausible.

I can't say I was that impressed with it though because I held it over the exhaust and it didn't change colour!! So no idea if it's accurate or indeed works.