What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - cardriver99

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying an old Luton van for storage for a few months and a small number of trips in connection with a house move. I'm looking at models in the 12-15 year old range with lowish (for that age of van) mileage of 150-180k. I can't get any helpful pricing, does anyone know where to look? Are there any van-specific forums I could check? I've seen a 2010 Iveco luton van for £4k that looks in reasonable condition (the seat / steering wheel look OK and the interior isn't completely wrecked). That seems like a lot of money for an old junker but perhaps that's what they cost? Any views? Thanks!! :)

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - badbusdriver

First, re the term 'Luton', you do realise that this is just the body type, a big box, separate from the cab, usually with a section extending forward above the cab?. Mechanically there is no difference from any other example of the Iveco Daily (or whatever other make/model you may look at.

Re the Iveco specifically, I used to have a 2003 model. Not sure if it applies to the age you are looking at, but changing the belt was a very big job.

As for the prices, that is just par for the course these days, they are very high.

Going by what you have said you want the van for though, it sounds like you'd be taking unnecessary risk buying a potentially knackered van. Rather than using it for storage, put your stuff in your local storage place and just hire a van for the few actual trips you will need to make when needed.

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - daveyK_UK
When buying an old van, the mechanical condition is the most critical consideration.

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - Xileno

Decent secondhand vans are quite tricky to buy, most people only get rid of a van when it's getting costly to maintain. For most people they are beasts of burden and there is not that need to change to in the same way as a car. Possibly Transporters are an exception as they've attained some kind of cult image among the leisure users. Sometimes ex-fleet van from one of the larger Utilities can be a good buy but probably had a fairly hard life.

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - badbusdriver

As well as the above, the OP's tiny budget is a major stumbling block. Nationwide on Autotrader there are 5 Luton bodied vans available within £5k, and one of those is for spares!.

IMO, taking the risk of buying a cheap van for what the OP appears to want it for is madness. Get the stuff in local self storage (rather than using the van for this) and just hire a van when it is needed to move house.

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - cardriver99

As well as the above, the OP's tiny budget is a major stumbling block. Nationwide on Autotrader there are 5 Luton bodied vans available within £5k, and one of those is for spares!.

IMO, taking the risk of buying a cheap van for what the OP appears to want it for is madness. Get the stuff in local self storage (rather than using the van for this) and just hire a van when it is needed to move house.

Autotrader is not a great place to buy a cheap van , their listing fees are so high so you don't get the cheap vehicles on there. I'm looking at ebay, gumtree & facebook marketplace and finding quite a lot in my budget range.

I did find a £1400 2007 Merc luton with a tail lift & year's MOT sold by a guy who was using it for storage for a market stall. I went to see it, wavered and then someone else took it the same day as it was a bargain!

I'm also considering copart, although not sure it's worth the hassle of signing up for 1 purchase.

First, re the term 'Luton', you do realise that this is just the body type, a big box, separate from the cab, usually with a section extending forward above the cab?. Mechanically there is no difference from any other example of the Iveco Daily (or whatever other make/model you may look at.

Re the Iveco specifically, I used to have a 2003 model. Not sure if it applies to the age you are looking at, but changing the belt was a very big job.

As for the prices, that is just par for the course these days, they are very high.

Going by what you have said you want the van for though, it sounds like you'd be taking unnecessary risk buying a potentially knackered van. Rather than using it for storage, put your stuff in your local storage place and just hire a van for the few actual trips you will need to make when needed.

Thanks! I do realise "luton van" is just the style and they're made by getting a normal van chassis and installing a big box on the back. It's a niche market and I know nothing about the merits of (for instance) mercedes sprinters vs transits vs ivecos, and it's not like cars where there is a ton of info.

For a number of reasons, I do want the van to store stuff in rather than a lock up - I can park it right by where we live, and since I'm going to have to go in and out and maybe (as a guesstimate) at least 100 times that's a massive time saving vs renting a lock up a mile away and trudging back and forth. Plus lock ups are also quite expensive (£150/week was a quote I got which is £8k / year!!) so I figure even if it breaks after a year I will stil have spent less overall.

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - SLO76
I wouldn’t recommend buying an old van to anyone. No one sells a van just because they fancy a change, these are purely economic decisions and in 99.9% of cases a cheap van is for sale because it is no longer economically viable, usually it is hiding a major failure. Spend £4000 on such a thing and you’ll almost certainly lose almost every penny of it.
Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - daveyK_UK
I wouldn’t agree all used vans are on sale hiding major mechanic issues; when I had a business we would move on our vans at 4 years old.
The vans were fine, full history, but we knew expensive problems where coming BUT they hadn’t arrived when sold.
At the time new vans where plentiful, prices where competitive, a different world!

The few people with older vans (10 years +) who have sold them have done because of rust more than anything else; the van needs extensive welding work to pass the MOT (all 3 examples I can think of were transits), pay £400 odd for welding work, pass MOT, MOT tester warns it will need considerably more welding work for the next MOT, owner runs the van for another 8 months then gets rid often part ex.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 19/06/2022 at 11:50

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - SLO76
“I wouldn’t agree all used vans are on sale hiding major mechanic issues; when I had a business we would move on our vans at 4 years old.”

Thus the reason why I said old vans. The only way to buy a used van is to pick one up from a (usually) larger firm who’ve a set interval when they offload them or return them to the leading firm, unfortunately the OP doesn’t have the budget to do this here and £4k is right in the pain zone. The NHS, BT and some other utilities keep their fleets in good order and move them on typically between 3 and 5yrs old. But most vans are kept until they’re done, especially parcel delivery, post office, builders etc etc. The trick is to know exactly where it has come from and watch out for clocking which is rife with used vans. In all the years I’ve been viewing and supplying vehicles for people I’ve found 99% of older vans are knackered.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/06/2022 at 13:36

“I wouldn’t agree all used vans are on sale hiding major mechanic issues; when I had a business we would move on our vans at 4 years old.” Thus the reason why I said old vans. The only way to buy a used van is to pick one up from a (usually) larger firm who’ve a set interval when they offload them or return them to the leading firm, unfortunately the OP doesn’t have the budget to do this here and £4k is right in the pain zone. The NHS, BT and some other utilities keep their fleets in good order and move them on typically between 3 and 5yrs old. But most vans are kept until they’re done, especially parcel delivery, post office, builders etc etc. The trick is to know exactly where it has come from and watch out for clocking which is rife with used vans. In all the years I’ve been viewing and supplying vehicles for people I’ve found 99% of older vans are knackered.

Thanks! How much would a van from the NHS etc. be @ 4 years and where would I go to get one?

Fully agree re: clocking risk, I've seen a couple of 30 year old vans with 100k on the clock with fabrics and steering wheel wear that look like they've been taken the moon and back... :)

I wouldn’t recommend buying an old van to anyone. No one sells a van just because they fancy a change, these are purely economic decisions and in 99.9% of cases a cheap van is for sale because it is no longer economically viable, usually it is hiding a major failure. Spend £4000 on such a thing and you’ll almost certainly lose almost every penny of it.

Although this is certainly a big risk, it's not alway true, people sometimes change businesses or retire, or just want a newer van etc etc. I've seen a few vans for sale bought by people like me who no longer needed it, one I saw needed it for a movie and the movie was finished so they were selling it on for whatever they could get.

Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - Adampr

Have you considered getting a box trailer instead? Cheaper, lower risk and easier to move on.

Have you considered getting a box trailer instead? Cheaper, lower risk and easier to move on.

Thanks! I have actually, but when I looked I couldn't find a gigantic box trailer that was cheap. Any suggestions of good cheap brands to look for or how to source one? :)

“ Although this is certainly a big risk, it's not alway true, people sometimes change businesses or retire, or just want a newer van etc etc. I've seen a few vans for sale bought by people like me who no longer needed it”

It does happen, I sold a very good VW Caddy SDi when I sold my business off, it is however very much the minority. Most older used vans are no longer economically viable. Don’t get the used van market mixed up with used cars, businesses only sell them on when they’re done other than the few big fleets I’ve mentioned before but for these you’d be talking £10k upwards.
Iveco Daily Luton van - how much to pay? - How much does an old Luton Van cost? - Ian_SW

I'm not sure using a Luton van for storage would be a very good idea either. My experience of them (hire vans, so fairly new) is that thd rear roller shutter is anything but secure and water leaks into them. Old ones can only be worse.

The other thing about them is that, to keep under 3.5 tonnes, their payload is rubbish. Unless they are carrying empty boxes it's near impossible to fill them up without overloading them.

A better option, as another poster suggested would be to buy a big box trailer, which you would be able to sell on for what you bought it for after use and wouldn't need taxing, insuring etc. For a budget version of this, you could get a tatty old caravan for a few hundred pounds, gut the interior to make more space and scrap it afterwards.

Hi,
This may be of interest, I have a nephew up north who is looking for a van and he asked my opinion on this.

It’s at a local auction and the buyers fees are reasonable

It appears to be a scrap metal companies van and no doubt with the MOT due up in August they are expecting it to need some considerable work to pass, which is pretty normal for these transits, especially the rust issues.

www.northwestmotorauction.co.uk/catalogue-collecti...5

My advice was to avoid it like the plague unless it goes cheap (under £500) as you can expect to spend £500 to get it through the MOT before you consider any mechanical issues it may have.