What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Steveieb

A taxi supervisor told me that apart from the earlier 405 and 406 most taxi firms choose other makes because they prefer cars that are designed for RHD and not converted LHD.

The reason I ask is that my partner recently broke her left wrist and now back driving she is struggling with the biased gear change on her Captur which favours LHD drivers who use their right hand for gear changes.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Xileno

Not sure what you mean by biased. Do you mean engaging reverse if it's a six speed box? Reverse is over to the far left.

That’s right.

Having broken her wrist and recently out of plaster she is finding it difficult to engage reverse and first which is over to the left and against the spring bias.

Yes you are right it’s a six speed gearbox !

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - RT

These days, virtually all cars intended for sale in Europe are designed for LHD and RHD at the CAD stage - GM American models are notorious for not considering RHD which is why they're rarely sold here.

I suspect that even UK-designed cars are designed for LHD and RHD just like foreign-designed cars.

Edited by RT on 15/06/2022 at 18:55

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - bathtub tom

My (French made) Yaris is from a Japanese company that drive on the left and make RHD cars for their home market. The single front wiper is correctly set up for RHD. I suspect most European manufactured cars are, predominantly, set up for LHD.

Edited by bathtub tom on 15/06/2022 at 19:18

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Terry W

I would expect manufacturers to design in a decision to go for both LHD and RHD markets at the design stage - major changes include steering column, pedal box space, light units.

Otherwise I would expect them to make only limited superficial changes on LHD to RHD - all changes cost money and increase assembly line complexity (a bit).

I would not expect them to re-engineer gearboxes unless sales volumes justify.

Example - on my Peugeot 308 the fuses are almost inaccessible on the passenger size and seriously limit glove compartment capacity. I would not expect this on a LHD version with fuses next to the steering column.

Remember nervous passengers travelling in the Citroen Picasso noticing that the car braked when they pressed on the floor.

Told by dealers they were imaging it but turns out that a transfer coupling shaft from the brake servo was in fact under the floor and could be activated by pressure from above.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - bathtub tom

Remember nervous passengers travelling in the Citroen Picasso noticing that the car braked when they pressed on the floor.

Told by dealers they were imaging it but turns out that a transfer coupling shaft from the brake servo was in fact under the floor and could be activated by pressure from above.

I recall similar on my daughter's Skaoda Estelle. You couldn't actually operate the brake and accelerator, but with sufficient pressure, you could hold them in place.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - daveyjp

VW haven't even fitted RHD wipers to their new ID3!

Far East cars always had the indicator on the right so you could use right hand for the indicator and the left to change gear. This has now gone and consensus is indicators on the left on almost all vehicles.

My Subaru has the radio on off button on the right nearest the driver, the Yaris which is Euro built has it on the left, so a reach for the driver.

French cars were notorious for lack of foot room in their RHD conversions and the original smart RHD was terrible for this. Despite only having two pedals, the accelerator was very close to the right hand side of the car.

Far East cars always had the indicator on the right so you could use right hand for the indicator and the left to change gear. This has now gone and consensus is indicators on the left on almost all vehicles.

Except in Australia where they still demand indicators on the right

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Crickleymal

I seem to recall that the Morris Marina had left hand drive wipers in anticipation of sales on the continent .

Edited by Crickleymal on 16/06/2022 at 01:28

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Bromptonaut

That’s right.

Having broken her wrist and recently out of plaster she is finding it difficult to engage reverse and first which is over to the left and against the spring bias.

The only car I'm aware of where first was not to the left was my father's 1966 Simca 1500 estate (a car chosen by his employer). That had first to the right and forward; literally a mirror image of my Mother's Austin Mini. Said to be a cobble where the gearbox was originally set up for a column change.

Before the Simca he had Vauxhall Victors with (mostly) column changes. If the Victor up to/including the FC101 was available with a floor change I've no recollection of how the gear 'gate' was arranged.

On more recent French cars I had two Citroen BX on the late eighties/early nineties. The first was an 86 1.6 RS with a petrol engine. Second a 1.9 RD estate with an XUD Diesel.

Both had a normal 1 - 5 selection with 1 behind 2, 3 behind 4 and five to the right and forward. The selector was sprung into the 3/4 plane.

In the 16RS reverse was left/forwards of 1 and required a gearstick collar to be lifted to access it. In the in 1.9RD it was behind 5th. Not a LHD/RHD thing; just a different gearbox design.

Much more recently I've had Skodas where reverse is left/forward with stick pushed down.

Other than confusion over finding reverse swapping between that and a Berlingo with reverse opposite 5 I've not got a problem.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 16/06/2022 at 18:01

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - RichardW

PSA have used a derivation of the same box (BE) on many of their cars since the BX in the early 80's. Early ones were reverse left of 1st, then it went to down and right (under 5th where fitted). 5th gear on this box was an add on, being just an extra set of gears under an end cover (which suffers if the oil level runs low!). When they went to 6 speed reverse went back to left of 1st with a collar. The box is pretty much indestructable - but it requires 75W80 oil - if 'normal' 90W oil is added the change can become very difficult when cold. 5th gear sometimes falls apart on higher load applications (motor homes...) if lugged in top.

My 3008 they haven't moved the lid on the box in the centre console over, so it opens towards the driver. The pollen filters on most modern PSA cars are accessed from the RH footwell - on a LHD car this is easy; on a RHD it is a royal PITA with the pedals and column in the way. The Mk1 C4 Picasso with a manual box was particularly bad! Changing the heater matrix on the other hand, which is in the passenger foot well on RHD, is a breeze....

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Will deBeast

I have a cracking example:

On my citroen relay campervan, the bonnet release is inside the (UK) passenger door frame. The passenger door needs to be open to access it.

If the van is deadlocked and the starter battery is flat, I can open the (UK) drivers door with the key. What I cannot do is open the (UK) passenger door to get under the bonnet to the connections for jumping the battery.

The only way of unlocking the (UK) passenger door is by getting enough power to the starter battery to operate the central locking.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - movilogo

Japan and India are worlds largest RHD car markets. So any manufacturer selling larger number of cars in these countries must have focused RHD comforts.

Even though Korea is LHD, the I find Kia & Hyundai cars very comfortable to drive.

Far East cars always had the indicator on the right

My 1st gen Kia Ceed had indicator on right and I liked it better. However, dealer told me that many drivers complained and in subsequent models they moved it to left. My current Ceed has it on left.

Having indicator stalk opposite side of gear stick seems logical as you can still operate indicator while shifting gears.

Edited by movilogo on 16/06/2022 at 07:41

Selecting reverse on my partners Captur 1.3 six speed is difficult even for me because of the right handed bias in the gear lever.

She is finding it so difficult since breaking her left wrist she often resorts to using two hands !

Something we didn’t notice on the test drive.

Apart from that the car has been brilliant.

Great ride from 55 profile tyres and strangely for a French car excellent reliability.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - pd

As others have pointed out RHD cars in markets other than Europe still have the indicators on the right and is the "correct" way as technically you can change indication and gear at the same time. It does work well.

As a point of useless trivia the Honda Concerto and Rover 200 which were made in the same factory and basically the same car had indicators on different sides!

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Gibbo_Wirral

One thing which bugs me about my 206 is that the wipers are set up to favour LHD drivers.

While the passenger has a lovely clear screen I have to stare through the arc which is missed by the wipers!

I've never known it on any other Pug I've owned over the years. And wasn't the 206 built in the UK?

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - KJP 123

Not sure if cars have cable clutches anymore but RHD cars had a much more tortuous route than cars designed as LHD so they failed more often than LHD models.

The linkage between the steering wheel and the rack has to be different.

The top of the range Kia Stinger has 4WD as a LHD but only 2WD as RHD.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Andrew-T

She is finding it so difficult since breaking her left wrist she often resorts to using two hands !

I can't see this as a valid complaint. If the other wrist had been broken there might be no problem, but the mirror-image problem would occur on the continent ! :-( It's just one of those unfortunate things.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - misar

Having indicator stalk opposite side of gear stick seems logical as you can still operate indicator while shifting gears.

Is it logical to take both hands off the steering wheel simultaneously?

Have never had any problem using the gear stick and indicator stalk sequentially with the left hand.

Is it logical to take both hands off the steering wheel simultaneously?

Have never had any problem using the gear stick and indicator stalk sequentially with the left hand.

You don't need to take a hand of the steering wheel to operate the indicators - it can be done with the little finger while the others control the wheel.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Big John

I have a cracking example:

On my citroen relay campervan, the bonnet release is inside the (UK) passenger door frame. The passenger door needs to be open to access it.

If the van is deadlocked and the starter battery is flat, I can open the (UK) drivers door with the key. What I cannot do is open the (UK) passenger door to get under the bonnet to the connections for jumping the battery.

The only way of unlocking the (UK) passenger door is by getting enough power to the starter battery to operate the central locking.

Same with a mkIII Skoda Octavia

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - pd

Older Hondas used to have the engine the other way round so the gearbox was in front of of the driver on a rhd car.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Catfood

Isn’t it just a question of checking the exhaust pipe and the fuel lid position ?

If the vehicle is primarily designed for RHD market, the exhaust pipe should be located on the driver side and the fuel lid on the passenger side. LHD other way round…..

For example, Nissan used to be like that but now different as they share the platform with Renault.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Alby Back
I find it really hard to care to be honest. I like most cars really, their country of origin or which side the indicators or reverse gear are on is very low down the list of attributes that would influence my choices.
If it goes and stops well, looks ok, and accommodates the people and stuff I want to transport reliably/efficiently and in some degree of comfort, it’s getting close to being perfect for me.
Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - DavidGlos
A lot of PSA cars have tiny gloveboxes on RHD variants, as the fuse box lives in there. Literally only enough space for some gloves!

Anybody remember diesel Merc’s of the late 80s? The LHD variants were all available with a turbo, but for some reason, I think to do with cooling, the RHD versions were all naturally aspirated for ages.
Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - Andrew-T
A lot of PSA cars have tiny gloveboxes on RHD variants, as the fuse box lives in there. Literally only enough space for some gloves! .

The Mk-1 Pug 306 had (has in my case) a reasonable glovebox, but it was sacrificed in the Mk-2 version for a passenger airbag. As the Mk-1 version only lasted a few years I was surprised the designers hadn't seen that coming - but I suppose the 306 started life as an enlarged 205 ....

Is that right that some older Honda engines rotated in the opposite direction to other engines ?

Is that right that some older Honda engines rotated in the opposite direction to other engines ?

Yes - that's why they needed the gearbox/engine transposed on transverse installations.

Was there any engineering reason for the difference in rotation?

Was there any engineering reason for the difference in rotation?

Google gives all manner of urban myths for this - the only one I can give any credence to is that Honda bike engines rotated counter-clockwise to match the rear wheel rotation as bikes have two gear reductions - they chose to make their early car engine rotate the same way despite only having one gear reduction.

That's interesting, thanks.

Are French cars just converted LHD for UK - movilogo

There are several reports of Merc GLC RHD models suffering from steering judder on full locks. It does not happen on LHD models.