What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - catsdad

My neighbour has asked me to look at a Golf TDi with her at 2.00 today. It’s for her teenage son. The ad is on Facebook marketplace (Devizes) and it’s done 140k, fsh, new MoT, £3.2k, reg EK59 FBL. Its taxed and insured so she can test drive it on her insurance if she wants.

It looks OK in the ad. It’s got new Chinese tyres (Comforser) which get reasonable reviews at around £50 quid each. Price guidance on Autotrader is low £2k, HJ about £4k. So I guess it’s just about condition.

I know we’d all be recommending other options but it doesn’t look a complete no-no. So any quick tips on what to look out for on the particular car?

Finally the seller’s Facebook page checks out as a local but he wants to meet in a car park. I’ve already told her this is a potential red flag. But if he can give a reasonable explanation and the paperwork checks out re his name and local address, and he is guy in the Facebook Photo, it should be OK. Yes? He may be a trader as the photos have trade type paper mats in the foot wells. If he is a trader and the car is not registered to him what checks do we need to do on the papers. I am always happy to walk but it’s not my call.

Edited by catsdad on 12/06/2022 at 11:45

VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - Adampr

I know you know, but he's a trader trying to avoid giving a warranty. He's probably bought it at auction, stuck four cheap tyres on it and is looking to make a turn.

Personally, I wouldn't even go and look at it. There are plenty of cars around, so why gamble on one?

VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - Ian D
Meet in car park would be enough for me to not bother, you need to buy from a reputable trader where you get some warranty rights for up to 6 months or buy privately where you meet at the address of the registered keeper

Edited by Ian D on 12/06/2022 at 11:57

VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - Alby Back
£3k is probably quite a lot to a teenager. This car might be fine, but I think you are right to be cautious.
VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - elekie&a/c doctor
The VW 1.6 tdi engine is one of the worst engines to came off the production line . Avoid at all costs.
VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - Adampr
The VW 1.6 tdi engine is one of the worst engines to came off the production line . Avoid at all costs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/2009/good

EGR failures common in cars used for short journeys. 140k on a 59 plate implies that it's certainly not been run on a long daily commute.

Thanks for comments so far. I couldn’t find any more issues online than the EGR so any additional advice on what’s bad would be welcome.

Her own family car is a 2008 VW (Touran I think). It’s got the same engine and she has had it for some years with no issues despite 150k or so miles.

I’ve also just had a chat with the son himself. He has his head screwed on. He is not in the “buy at any cost” mood.

VW Golf TDi 1.6 - Helping neighbour buy a car - yeomand4d

Last v5 change was 28/10/21, so assuming not a trader, it's being moved on quickish. Re the carpark meet, The car will be nice & warmed up. Would be concerned of a cold start issue.. Ideally meet at v5 address & see start up from stone cold. Also 'preferred cash sale' would set alarm bells off.

Thanks for V5 pointer. This could just be change of address though. However if he’s only had it 6 months its another flag, he might just have bought it to fettle up and make a quick buck on a rising market. Not necessarily bad but not ideal.

I agree re the cold start potential issue but they’ve already made the arrangement.

I have never use Facebook marketplace but it seems he has no history of selling cars there. But maybe there is a way of checking that I am unaware of.

Thanks for all the advice. She didn’t buy it but it had some merits. And he was a pleasant enough private seller with a reason for the car park meet. Like many sellers however he was talking the car up.

First impressions were quite good. Internally it was very tidy. The engine was cold and had not been started for a week. It started first try and ticked over nicely. Under the bonnet was the right degree of cleanliness without being tarted up. Newish battery and label confirming new cam belt. Some surface rust on the rear sub- frame but better than my own 2012 Mazda 3.

So what was less good? There was only one key. Secondly, the number of previous owners was seven. The ad said “three plus”. Both bumpers had poor paint repairs, minor damage and weren’t neatly clipped on - shut lines were not tight. I suspect these were caused by poor parking at the rear and a minor bump at the front. The bonnet also had slightly misaligned shut lines. However as all was straight under the bonnet and the headlights weren’t new, I don’t think it had been a big shunt. However had she been keen on buying it I would have suggested having it properly looked at.

The main condition issue was the windscreen which had scratches from both wipers. We discussed this privately and I said he would tell her it would polish out (I doubt it ) or to claim on insurance. Sure enough he obliged by saying just that. As she is a practicing solicitor, suggesting fraud was not too smart!

So a new windscreen and key made the car too expensive as he wouldn’t budge under £3k.

As for the car park meeting it turned out he has no parking at home so has a season ticket. Seems plausible as the town centre has no free parking. All paperwork and his Facebook photos, lined up. I am pretty sure he isn’t a trader but he had indeed only had the car for six months.

My guess is that someone who doesn’t have scruples on claiming for a windscreen will buy it if the price is reduced.