What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - bluenun

I have stopped using my Ford Focus that has an intermittent fault and have bought a newer car which I have taxed and transferred my insurance to.

The old Focus is on my drive and I would not want to sell it to anyone with an intermitted fault, the bodywork does have some small dents and scratches as I used it for work and putting ladder on etc. It is almost 19 years old so I was thinking I should scrap it and claim back the 6 months road tax on it.

How would you go about scrapping it, find the nearest scrap yard or call someone out to take it away?

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - Xileno

If it's not legal to drive then you have to get someone to take it away. Google scrapyards in your area. Sometimes the fire service take away cars to practice on but I doubt they will give any money for it.

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve used these people before without any issues. www.removemycar.co.uk/
Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - badbusdriver

A fairly local vehicle breaker to me advertises on the local radio station (and they will uplift the car from your home), might be worth listening to yours. But as has been said, Google.

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - Chris M

A local breaker will collect for sure but why not try selling it. As long as you are up front that it has an intermittent fault, why not? An ad on Gumtree costs nothing, give it a couple of weeks and if no takers, contact a scrappy.

Regarding road tax, you'll get that back either way, just make sure you dispose of it before the last day of the month.

Edited by Chris M on 12/06/2022 at 11:28

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - Big John

I have stopped using my Ford Focus that has an intermittent fault and have bought a newer car which I have taxed and transferred my insurance to.

If you old car isn't taxed or insured make sure you SORN it otherwise you'll have something nasty appear in the post. If a car isn't SORN'd it must be taxed and insured.

Edited by Big John on 12/06/2022 at 22:31

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - Adampr

I'd stick it on eBay, describe all faults and give it a week. Someone will want it.

Thank-you all for the replies.

I was forgetting that I transferred the insurance to the newer car so I am no longer insured to drive the Focus so cannot drive it to a scrapyard if I wanted to.

So I suppose I should cancel my road tax now as it is no longer transferrable to a new keeper.

I may think about selling it as a couple of you mentioned explaining the intermittent fault or call someone to take it away.

Will a scrapyard pay me anything for it if they collect it?

Removemycar are offering zero.

Edited by bluenun on 12/06/2022 at 12:17

What is the intermittent fault ? Could be a easy fix for a diy enthusiast.

I broke down in April and it turned out that the 15 amp fuse for the fuel pump had blown.

It did the same thing 2 weeks ago, I had a spare 15 amp fuse and it has been fine since but I am worried that it will happen again and changing the fuse wont rectify it.

I am entering the 12 digit reference code on the V11 and getting this message,

"Sorry, your vehicle registration mark or reference number has not been recognised, we’ve been unable to declare your vehicle off the road."

I have checked it again and again but no luck.

I have been the registered keeper since 2006.

It says I can use the 11 digit reference on the V5C but it is a 12 digit reference on my V5C.

The helpline is not working 0300 1234 321

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - Adampr

You should be looking for the document reference number immediately to the right of your name and address on the front.

On the car - sounds like it needs a new fuel pump. Not tremendously expensive. I would just write in the advert 'keeps blowing fuel pump fuse'. People who know these cars will know all about it, but it sounds like it's quite common in a MK1 focus.

As above , needs a new fuel pump . Not the end of the world and certainly not worth scrapping it just for that . Fixed for less than £200
Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - John F

On the car - sounds like it needs a new fuel pump. Not tremendously expensive. I would just write in the advert 'keeps blowing fuel pump fuse'. People who know these cars will know all about it, but it sounds like it's quite common in a MK1 focus.

It does indeed sound like a failing pump. That happened in 2016 to our 16yr old Focus auto estate, at 111,000 miles. The RAC man fitted a 20amp fuse to get us home and arrange for a new fuel pump. The car lasted another six years and another 50,000 miles before it was scrapped due to rust - still mechanically OK.

Edited by John F on 12/06/2022 at 13:50

Thank-you for the replies.

For some reason the number on the V5 had 12 digits but inside the booklet it had 11 digits, so I have managed to SORN my car now.

It probably is the fuel pump, I tried another fuel pump relay after the first breakdown.

There are 3 garages near me, all really busy and not cheap. I had a starter motor fitted last year and that was £200.

The breakdown guy did not see the blown fuse, the garage charged me £60 for changing the fuse. He would charge a lot for replacing a fuel pump. He is known to be a good mechanic but expensive.

The mechanic did say the fuse probably wont fix the root of the problem and it may need a new fuel pump which is located in the petrol tank with no access via the rear seat. He did not seem that keen on doing it.

Edited by bluenun on 12/06/2022 at 14:50

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - Chris M

You don't need to fix it but I really don't think scrapping is the right answer if the car is otherwise sound. Things are tight for many people at present and your car may enable them to carry on getting to work. You get a couple of hundred quid and someone gets a useable car.

I asked a few of my customers today if they knew anyone that would buy my car and I did telephone a friend that buys second hand cars.

I spoke to him and told him the details and about the intermittent fault, he said he will come and have a look.

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - John F

The breakdown guy did not see the blown fuse

Not RAC competent, then!

, the garage charged me £60 for changing the fuse.

?????

He would charge a lot for replacing a fuel pump. He is known to be a good mechanic but expensive.

I don't think I paid more than £200, but you could probably do it yourself with some tin snips and a few simple tools.

youtu.be/zpqidHrpgUU

No, I use autoaidbreakdown and he was helpful and did say the fault was the fuel pump.

He said he had checked the fuses, U even got my handbook and was reading which fuse is for the fuel pump but he told me he had checked it, I guess he did not.

I was towed to a garage within a couple of miles of where I live about 10pm on a Friday before a bank holiday. He telephoned me Tuesday afternoon and said your car is ready.

I assumed he had changed the fuel pump, when I got there he said it was a blown fuse and but that it may blow again, I was disappointed but relieved to get my car back for work.

He had driven it a few miles and it did not blow. Yes it cost me £60.

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - JONATHAN_11_80

Fuel pumps on these are a common failure and replacement either means butching a hole under the rear seat or dropping the fuel tank. I suspect the fact the fuse blew points to a poorly fuel pump. These mk1 focus is a modern classic in the making.

Edited by JONATHAN_11_80 on 15/06/2022 at 22:32

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - bathtub tom

Would an in-line fuel pump solve the problem?

Ford Focus 2003 auto 1.6 Zetec. - Scrapping old car. - leejay

Hi, Get some quotes by looking for scrap car companies on google.

Try to choose a scrap car company that's close to you as they will deduct their travel costs when offering you a price. Make sure the scrap car dealer is associated with an authorised treatment facility as they are the only places that can scrap your car legally. Only accept a bank transfer for your car as this is the only legal way to get paid. Make sure you get a certificate of destruction as this proves your car has been scrapped. I scrapped my wives car with a dodgy dealer and it came back to bite me and got fined by the dvla as they didnt scrap it but did a cut and shunt and racked up massive fines. I then used a company called [deleted] to scrap my car and it went very well

Edited no free adverising.

Deleted website still in post (Xileno)

ORB

Edited by Xileno on 02/08/2022 at 15:08