What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Towing car - tbg

Just looking at ideas. £8000 - £12000 for a decent family car with decent boot GOOD RELIABILITY and be able to pull a caravan, ok fuel economy,Probably suv\mpv .

Currently have a 17 plate Citroen grand C4 Picasso which is a nice family car not so the reliability. Initial thoughts are Kia Sportage but still looking at other option.

Any help would be great

Towing car - Adampr

Subaru Forester?

Towing car - Metropolis.
What weight are you looking to tow?
Towing car - RT

Hyundai iX35/Tucson or Kia Sportage - same cars underneath - if you want to go larger, Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento, again same cars underneath

Towing car - _

The caravan community like the previous generation (up tp 2020) Korando diesel, but would that fit your day to day usage as well.?

Towing car - Bromptonaut

As already asked, what is the laden weight of the caravan - MTPLM on its plate.

Towing car - tbg

Thanks for the help, I'll look into them. MTPLM no more than 1500kg.

I presume the above cars are generally regarded as reliable.

Towing car - Adampr

Thanks for the help, I'll look into them. MTPLM no more than 1500kg.

I presume the above cars are generally regarded as reliable.

Yes. With the exception of more recent Nissans, Japanese and Korean cars are all known for reliability.

I suggested the Forester because on some (possibly all) models, they have some kind of wizardry that makes towing easier and safer. Towing capacity is 2000kg.

Towing car - tbg

So far the forester seems a little expensive particularly where I live

Towing car - Adampr

So far the forester seems a little expensive particularly where I live

In that case (mostly echoing what others have said above):

Large SUVs; Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorrento, Ssangyong Musso

Mid SUVs; Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Ssangyong Korando, possibly Nissan X Trail

MPVs; Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan

Estate Cars; VW Passat Alltrack, Audi A6 Allroad

Towing car - Adampr

And avoid autos in the MPVs and estates

Towing car - Metropolis.
Still amazes me that people tow with monocoque cars, all that strain through the body? No thanks! Try opening the boot with the heavy trailer attached.

I admit there is not much choice these days, light duty body on frame vehicles like the old Suzuki Grand Vitara, Sorento (earlier models), Shogun Sport or 3dr Shogun (Mk1&2), even the larger vehicles are monocoque. I know modern monocoque are stiffer, but that misses the point. The frame in a body on frame vehicle flexes, so the body doesnt.

That is not to say many of these monocoque vehicles wont feel very capable tow vehicles behind the wheel with excellent handling, acceleration and braking, but there is a reason most pickup trucks are body on frame. Flex!

Towing car - Adampr

Surely that's one of the factors in determining how much weight can be towed. The Ssangyong Musso I mentioned is on a ladder frame so can pull 3500kg. The same certainly used to be true of the LR Discovery.

Most others are a unitary construction to increase comfort, safety, handling etc. They trade some of their towing capacity for that, but they are fine within their specified limits. It's horses for courses isn't it?

I have to say I tow with my 1.2 Seat Toledo and, within its specs, I am yet to experience any difficulty opening the boot!

Towing car - Chris79
I currently have a caravan max weight 1500kg. I used to tow it with a 2017 Zafira 2.0 CDTI. 168hp version.

It was actually a very capable tow and family car.

Having said that the consensus on the forum seems to be that you should avoid these Diesel engines.

I never had any trouble with it but I’m sure people out there have.

Towing car - RT

Surely that's one of the factors in determining how much weight can be towed. The Ssangyong Musso I mentioned is on a ladder frame so can pull 3500kg. The same certainly used to be true of the LR Discovery.

Most others are a unitary construction to increase comfort, safety, handling etc. They trade some of their towing capacity for that, but they are fine within their specified limits. It's horses for courses isn't it?

I have to say I tow with my 1.2 Seat Toledo and, within its specs, I am yet to experience any difficulty opening the boot!

Both the present Defender and Discovery are monocoque, both towing 3500 kg along with less obvious, but equally capable, towcars like VW Touareg

Towing car - RT
Still amazes me that people tow with monocoque cars, all that strain through the body? No thanks! Try opening the boot with the heavy trailer attached. I admit there is not much choice these days, light duty body on frame vehicles like the old Suzuki Grand Vitara, Sorento (earlier models), Shogun Sport or 3dr Shogun (Mk1&2), even the larger vehicles are monocoque. I know modern monocoque are stiffer, but that misses the point. The frame in a body on frame vehicle flexes, so the body doesnt. That is not to say many of these monocoque vehicles wont feel very capable tow vehicles behind the wheel with excellent handling, acceleration and braking, but there is a reason most pickup trucks are body on frame. Flex!

If the frame flexes on a body-on-frame BOF vehicle, the body has to flex with it, otherwise the mounting points are stressed too much.

The reason most pickups are BOF is because the open tray has no stiffness!

Your point of view is imprinted on most Americans who think that a pickup is necessary for towing duty and simply don't understand how monocoque SUVs can tow up to 7,700 lbs (3,500 kg).

Anyway the OP is only towing 1,500 kg so won't have any issue with a monocoque.

Towing car - John F

Still amazes me that people tow with monocoque cars, all that strain through the body? No thanks! ...... I know modern monocoque are stiffer, but that misses the point. The frame in a body on frame vehicle flexes, so the body doesnt....... there is a reason most pickup trucks are body on frame. Flex!

As long as there is no permanent distortion, does a bit of flexion really matter? All metal structures flex a bit with variations in temperature and stress.

Towing car - blindspot

i remember the great man himself recommending a ssanyong rexton as a good bet for towing. cna't remember why , it just stuck with me.

Towing car - tbg

Thanks for all the help, on reality the towing bit would probably be only 3 \4 times a year at most. I've not looked at the towing ability yet but son far the Kia Sportage is the families choice. Interestingly about the zafira 2l diesel to stay away from what about the 1.6

Towing car - badbusdriver

Interestingly about the zafira 2l diesel to stay away from what about the 1.6

It isn't just the 2.0 diesel which may be problematic, it is all the diesels fitted to Vauxhall's. They all come from Fiat bar the older 1.7 (up to around 2011 in the Zafira) which came from Isuzu.

Towing car - RT

It isn't just the 2.0 diesel which may be problematic, it is all the diesels fitted to Vauxhall's. They all come from Fiat bar the older 1.7 (up to around 2011 in the Zafira) which came from Isuzu.

The 2.5 diesel in the Omega was from BMW and the 3.0 diesel in Vectra-C was from Isuzu

Towing car - badbusdriver

The 2.5 diesel in the Omega was from BMW and the 3.0 diesel in Vectra-C was from Isuzu

Yes, I am aware, but the OP is looking at relatively young cars in the £8-12k bracket. So I don't think a 23 (at youngest) year old Omega, or a 14 (at youngest) year old Vectra would be on his radar.

Towing car - tbg

Thanks for the vauxhall clarification, that's them ruled out. Sportage is still the families choice

Towing car - concrete

I towed a Bailey Pegasus Genoa quite happily with a Skoda Superb 1.9PD TDi diesel. No problem except for a lack of power in certain conditions. Then I got a XC60 diesel auto. Absolutely brilliant for towing. As long as the towing weight and the nose weight can be accommodated by the car there should be no problem at all. Towing is common sense but the more you practice the more accomplished you become.

Cheers Concrete