What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Jimny 2019 - Safety recalls - PabloM

In January this year I purchased a Suzuki Jimny from a main dealer.

After purchasing I asked the garage to quote to fit some additional things.

When they didn’t respond I contacted a different Suzuki main dealer and they duly quoted.

In addition, however, they advised me that they would also deal with the outstanding safety recall which had been issued in July 2021.

I reverted to the garage I purchased from and asked why I hadn’t been advised of the recall.

They replied to me saying there wasn’t one.

I told them I had been advised by another main dealer that there was one.

No response so I sent them a couple of internet links, including one from gov.uk showing that it had been issued over 6 months prior to my purchase.

The salesman then rang to apologise and admit the garage hadn’t covered themselves in glory but he had had to pass the matter to his group compliance.

Compliance eventually emailed as follows:

When a manufacturer issues recalls, they can impact a very large amount of vehicles, sometimes tens of thousands or more, and therefore they issue the recall letters / notifications in batches so as not to cause an influx of appointments in their manufacturer dealer network, as there will only be certain amount of approved manufacturer workshops able to carry out the work. Appointments are already quite booked up and so it would not produce a good customer experience if they were to clog up the dealer network appointments with a sudden rush of appointment requests for recalls. The recalls are usually issued in batches of say five / ten thousand as an example with certain batches of vehicle chassis numbers being used at a time.

Official figures, that I can find, show that the Jimny traditionally sold approx 1200 each year in the UK although 2019 (year of manufacture) was expected to be 20% up, so say 1500 sold, definitely not “tens of thousands”.

With regard to actually fixing the recall, the other garage advised me that due to supply chain issues the part was currently in manufacture and might not be available for a further couple of months. I heard a week ago they now have it and can do the work.

It has been suggested to me (but I am not alleging this happened) that the original selling garage knew full well of the recall. They also knew of the manufacturing delay and that The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 say that dealers must get cars with outstanding recalls fixed before selling a vehicle to a consumer. If they don't, they can be prosecuted by Trading Standards. However, I believe they chose to ignore it in this case as everyone knows dealers need to sell cars, not have them parked on their forecourt for 6 months or more.

I should make clear that my wife loves the car and we don’t want to return it or want any financial retribution but surely a main dealer can’t get away with this sort of behaviour?

When buying a used car from a main dealer, or other garage, how many people actually ask, or check themselves, if there are any o/s safety recalls?

I have never thought of doing so before but will always in the future !

Suzuki Jimny 2019 - Safety recalls - Brit_in_Germany

I believe that there is a legal requirement for the selling trader to check that there isn't an open safety recall.

Suzuki Jimny 2019 - Safety recalls - Miniman777

I believe that there is a legal requirement for the selling trader to check that there isn't an open safety recall.

While not wishing to appear as a smart££e, whenever I've bought a car from a dealer, I've always checked on potential recalls before entering into sales negotiations, and asking, if applicable, the work has been done - all as part of due diligence.

Recall info is publicly available.

Suzuki Jimny 2019 - Safety recalls - Brit_in_Germany

Quite but if there is an open safety recall, the dealer is effectively selling an unsafe vehicle hence their obligation to check.

Absolutely but the dealer denied there was an outstanding safety recall despite me showing them the recall notice had been out for 6 months prior to them selling me the car.

I just find it incredible - if you can't trust a main dealer for honesty, who can you?

I though the motor industry had left the days of the unscrupulous dealer with ubiquitous sheepskin coat and cigar behind, but maybe not.

As stated in another response, it is the safety harness.

Suzuki Jimny 2019 - Safety recalls - Engineer Andy

In my view, it is very bad form on the part of the original supplying dealer to seemingly pretend there was no recall at the time because they knew the car couldn't be 'fixed' for a while due to parts shortages, and eventually making other excuses.

At least the second one was seemingly honest about the whole thing. If I were the OP, I'd take all my business to the other dealership (hopefully it's not a LONG way away) and maybe report the first dealership to both Suzuki UK and trading standards/DVSA.

Thanks for your comment - as per my post, the dealer I purchased from denied all knowledge of a safety recall which I find inconceivable - they are a large dealership with a number of manufacturer franchises. In fact we bought a new Mazda from their Mazda franchise a few years ago..

The annual service and first MOT is due shortly so we will be taking it to the garage who are going to do the recall work although the original selling garage rang and emailed me to remind me that the MOT would be due shortly and did I want to book it in with them !!

Either they are incredibly arrogant or just so large that one arm doesn't know what the other is doing.

But my ultimate point is that prior to this experience I would never have dreamed of asking or checking if there were any outstanding safety recalls when buying a used car, especially from a main dealer, but will definitely do so in the future.

I did ring Trading Standards but they just took a note and seemed pretty non-plussed about it.

Suzuki Jimny 2019 - Safety recalls - focussed

As nobody has bothered to detail what the reason for the recall is, I looked it up.

"Improper design of the driver side and the passenger side door harnesses may affect airbag operation"

Replace door harnesses.

Vehicles affected 2321

There was a previous recall on the 2018 model year Jimny for the fuel pump impeller requiring replacement of fuel pump.

If the subject vehicle is 2018 my but not registered until 2019 that may also apply