What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Con1699

Hi I'm buying my first car a 2019 Skoda Fabia and I had a mechanic out to have a look over it. Everything came back ok - diagnostics fine, drove well, gearbox great, only done 10k miles. But he said there is silt under the car and it has likely driven through some deep water. No corrosion that he can see but we definitely need to clean ASAP. Under the hood is pretty dirty too considering it hasn't done many miles.

Is this a red flag? Or is it ok because everything else came back fine?

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Palcouk

If this is a dealer sale then they dont appear to have prepared the car very well, and there are plenty of these for sale

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Con1699

Yes this is at a Skoda dealership

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Andrew-T

... he said there is silt under the car and it has likely driven through some deep water. No corrosion that he can see but we definitely need to clean ASAP. Under the hood is pretty dirty too considering it hasn't done many miles.

I don't see any reason to worry about silt on the outside of a car. Much more worrying if there is evidence of deep water inside - under the carpets, for instance.

My 28-year-old Pug 306 has (had, until I cleaned much of it off) plenty of silt underneath, in fact enough to cause a MoT advisory about 12 years ago. The reason was that its long-term owner lived up an unmade road in Oxfordshire and it just built up over the years. The car itself never gets any corrosion advisories, so maybe the silt was good for it ...

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Rerepo

Silt under the carpets means deep water. I live part of the year in Thailand where flooding is common in the rainy season. First thing you check for on a used car is signs of flooding. Corrosion of the body is not really the issue - the problem is corrosion of electrical connectors which can give endLess problems, and water getting to low-mounted ECUs and things like heater flap motors.

Silt under the carpets means deep water.

No-one has mentioned silt under carpets, only 'under the car' - which I interpret as underneath. Mechanics don't often look under carpets.

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Rerepo

No-one has mentioned silt under carpets, only 'under the car' - which I interpret as underneath. Mechanics don't often look under carpets.

I take your point but I am puzzled where the silt would be under the car. Presumably it wouldn't cling to the flat underbody. Has it collected on top of underbody shields? I think I'd be investigating further and I would look under carpets to see if water had got into passenger compartment.

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Crickleymal

As someone else said there are loads of cars available. When car hunting I always look for reasons not to buy, even if I love the car.

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - sammy1

Dealer car, No marks for presentation! You would expect a lot better seeing how much profit they are taking.

I read today that CINCH are sacking 750 staff so they must be in trouble? Can only think that with the current price of cars the bubble is about to burst. The industry is trying to sell 5 year old cars at prices of the car when it was new. It surely cannot sustain this within the present economy. The prospect of cars on PCP and the like will have people thinking very serious

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Adampr

Dealer car, No marks for presentation! You would expect a lot better seeing how much profit they are taking.

I read today that CINCH are sacking 750 staff so they must be in trouble? Can only think that with the current price of cars the bubble is about to burst. The industry is trying to sell 5 year old cars at prices of the car when it was new. It surely cannot sustain this within the present economy. The prospect of cars on PCP and the like will have people thinking very serious

Cazoo. Cinch are BCA / webuyanycar and Cazoo are a (very well funded) start up.

I agree, though, they're scaling back in preparation for a recession. Although not many businesses would try to maintain their scale when they've got no new stick to sell

I take your point but I am puzzled where the silt would be under the car. Presumably it wouldn't cling to the flat underbody. Has it collected on top of underbody shields? I think I'd be investigating further and I would look under carpets to see if water had got into passenger compartment.

Certainly look under the carpets. I removed about a kilo of dry 'silt' from behind the arch liners on the 306 I mentioned above. That's just one possible collection area.

Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - FoxyJukebox
Well just what is the car like under the carpets?….dry? damp? Evidence of past severe water ingress?
Skoda Fabia - Used car driven through deep water - ok to buy? - Ian_SW

It may not have been driven through deep water, just parked for most of the time on a building site/quarry etc where there is a huge amount of dust blowing around.

My wife's old job was on an industrial estate where there was a aggregates company at the end of the road. Over the day hundreds of lorries would drive past where she parked blowing fine silty dust all over the road.

There was little point in trying to keep the car clean for appearance as after a day parked there it was filthy again. When I did clean the car every few weeks to try to stop the dust build-up causing mechanical problems, I blasted underneath it with a hosepipe and the driveway was always covered in a thick layer of silt afterwards.