What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Choosing First Car - Cintrapark

Hi guys

I would love to get your feedback. I'm looking for a reliable hatchback (big enough for 2 adults and 1 kid). I'd like it to be economical and powerful enough to run short and long distances. Not something that chugs along on the motorway. My budget is up to around 25k and I'm happy to buy a used vehicle although doesn't have to be, It must, however, be automatic. Appreciate your thoughts! Right now I'm considering the Toyota Corolla, Honda Jazz or Peugeot 208.

Choosing First Car - Adampr

Maybe a nearly-new Kia or Hyundai. Hyundai Ioniq might fit the bill.

On your list, I would avoid the Peugeot. I have a Corsa (which is the same under the skin) and it has a lot of minor niggles that would bother me if I'd bought it

Choosing First Car - Cintrapark
Which Kia. The Niro?
Which Kia. The Niro?

Yes, probably. If you must have an auto and want something economical, I think a 'self-charging' hybrid is the way to go. So, Niro Hybrid, Corolla, Ioniq, Prius, Jazz etc.

I think a Jazz is a little on the small side for lots of motorway work and child transport.

Choosing First Car - Rerepo

Buy the Corolla. Great car.

Choosing First Car - badbusdriver

I think a Jazz is a little on the small side for lots of motorway work and child transport.

Nonsense!

Nonsense!

I did preface it with 'I think'....We tend to spend a lot of time with one of us in the back of the car with our son to keep him company on long journeys. That is obviously easier with space for an adult. A Jazz is a very versatile car but I wouldn't personally want to spend more than half an hour sat in the back.

Choosing First Car - Forester2
I’m 6’3” and have happily made 2-3 hour journeys in the back of a Jazz.

Plenty of knee and head room..

Would have the Corolla given the choice though.

I did preface it with 'I think'....We tend to spend a lot of time with one of us in the back of the car with our son to keep him company on long journeys. That is obviously easier with space for an adult. A Jazz is a very versatile car but I wouldn't personally want to spend more than half an hour sat in the back.

Have you actually sat in the rear of a Jazz?. We had one of the previous shape and there was more space in the back than the Hyundai i30 we had before. I'd be willing to bet there is at least as much space in the rear of a Jazz as there is in a Corolla.

But given the OP considers a 208 big enough for their needs (and I'd very much agree, two adults and one child?), I'd suggest a Yaris rather than Corolla.

Yes, I have sat in the back of a Jazz. I also know a lot of families who have had them and they all agree they're marvellous but just a bit too small.

I have also sat in the back of a Corsa, which is the same as a 208 and there isn't enough space. Yes, you can physically insert your body into the space and be relatively comfortable but it's like being in a cave made of black plastic.

I personally think there's a big difference between being able to fit into a space and it actually being comfortable. I spent the majority of my childhood in the back of a Fiat 500 or MK2 Fiesta, so maybe I'm just trying to make up for that.

Yes, I have sat in the back of a Jazz. I also know a lot of families who have had them and they all agree they're marvellous but just a bit too small.

You know a lot of families with a Jazz and they all think they are a bit too small?!

(what are the chances...........)

But I'd point you to Forester2's response.

I’m 6’3” and have happily made 2-3 hour journeys in the back of a Jazz.

Also, when we got our Jazz, my kids were 16 and 20 years old (the eldest was 6') and we all fitted fine. 2008-2011 we had a Daihatsu Sirion (kids were 6 and 11 when we got it), again, we all fitted fine. We currently have a Suzuki Ignis and just the other week I had a massively obese (26 stone) 6'2" young lady in the front passenger seat and her 5'9" Mum sat directly behind her, quite comfortably.

I have also sat in the back of a Corsa, which is the same as a 208 and there isn't enough space. Yes, you can physically insert your body into the space and be relatively comfortable but it's like being in a cave made of black plastic.

If you can sit in the rear of a Corsa and be relatively comfortable then clearly there is enough space. Remember, the Corsa is a small car, it isn't supposed to be a big one.

Plus, any kid these days from the age of about eight onwards is going to have their nose stuck to the screen of a tablet or smartphone when on a long run in a car, so small windows and dark upholstery is a bonus not a drawback (less reflections).

I personally think there's a big difference between being able to fit into a space and it actually being comfortable. I spent the majority of my childhood in the back of a Fiat 500 or MK2 Fiesta, so maybe I'm just trying to make up for that.

I'd also say there is a big difference between the space people want and need. And the simple fact that they want a bigger car, does not make a car of the size they need, too small.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/06/2022 at 20:17

You're welcome to disagree, of course, but please don't act like I'm making it up.

One of these families bought a Jazz on the recommendation of her dad and had to bun it three months after their baby arrived because they couldn't get a rear facing child seat, buggy and two adults in it at the same time. I was with others who had Jazzes whilst they were telling me and, yes, they all agreed it was a bit too small. These are young families with a lot of kit to cart about and gigantic child seats to fit in, though. It may be easier with teenagers, who don't need all that paraphernalia and are happy just to slump in a chair with room to pole their legs out.

Choosing First Car - Engineer Andy

The thing is that the boot isn't much smaller (10-30L) than that of most C-sector cars, and because it makes good use of its interior space more generally, it isn't really that much different.

What some may be comparing it to is larger 'family' cars (including German 'sports' saloons) and crossovers/SUVs, which do have bigger boots (though the saloons have poor boot opening sizes) but are far larger in length and overall footprint, including width.

Whilst the Jazz makes best use of its footprint, and perhaps until the gen-3 car was the class leader, I think that later models have stagnated (as Honda has done generally) in terms of design, but has remained a high-price vehicle to buy, with the opposition catching up but at a cheaper price.

Not so good value as it used to be.

Choosing First Car - Alby Back
I had a massively obese (26 stone) 6'2" young lady in the front passenger seat and her 5'9" Mum sat directly behind her…

Must’ve looked like the airbags had gone off in a Suzuki Ignis! ;-)

Said it before and I’ll say it again, I have regretted buying cars that were too small, but I’ve never regretted buying one that was too big.

More comfortable, safer and more useful by and large. In my opinion anyway.