What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - Driving Tests - sammy1

It is reported again today about the long wait for driving tests in some areas bookings into next year.

HGV tests are much the same

In both cases are lot of people are being prevented from travelling to work or earning a living driving.

How easy would it be to train MORE ministry testers to ease the problem. I would suggest it would perhaps take a week maybe two at the most to do this. They would not even have to ask the Highway code parts as in days gone by. Most competent drivers could asses a leaner drivers capabilities in about 5 minutes. When you consider how many non licence holders are driving in any case just how difficult can it be speed up the process?

N/A - Driving Tests - alan1302

It is reported again today about the long wait for driving tests in some areas bookings into next year.

HGV tests are much the same

In both cases are lot of people are being prevented from travelling to work or earning a living driving.

How easy would it be to train MORE ministry testers to ease the problem. I would suggest it would perhaps take a week maybe two at the most to do this. They would not even have to ask the Highway code parts as in days gone by. Most competent drivers could asses a leaner drivers capabilities in about 5 minutes. When you consider how many non licence holders are driving in any case just how difficult can it be speed up the process?

Are you being serious? You can train a tester in a week?

"""Are you being serious? You can train a tester in a week?"

Yes why do you think I posted it? Just what standard do you require when you see the standards of driving after some pass the test The testing system goes back to the dark ages much like what a lot of the civil service does. If not experienced drivers then may be some professional driving instructors who seem to know what is required . I don't know why the paying public put up with it!

N/A - Driving Tests - Sofa Spud

Yes why do you think I posted it? Just what standard do you require when you see the standards of driving after some pass the test The testing system goes back to the dark ages much like what a lot of the civil service does. If not experienced drivers then may be some professional driving instructors who seem to know what is required . I don't know why the paying public put up with it!

There has long been a sub-group of drivers who believe that once you've passed the test you can forget half of what you were taught. It has nothing to do with the standard of driving instruction, it's a cultural thing, particularly among petrolheads, boy racers and van drivers.

I was hoping you were posting as a joke rather than a serious point - as your idea is ridiculous. We want to improve the standard of driving on the roads, not make passing easier and not even have properly tarined people to give out licences.

N/A - Driving Tests - Adampr

Are you being serious? You can train a tester in a week?

All you need is a moustache, short sleeved shirt, clipboard and unsettling persona.

N/A - Driving Tests - tim10597

My son tried to book his practical driving test today. There are no tests available at our local test centre this year, nor at many of the test centres near to us. He found two dates in November at a test centre about 30 miles away. He tried to book one of them, but it had already gone, but did manage to get the second date. Now he has booked a test date, he can download an app to his phone that alerts him to cancellations at our local test centre. He’s hoping one comes up, otherwise he will have to cancel the test he has booked as he’ll be at Uni as far away from us as he can get. The system they have now seems mad to me, but what would I know!

N/A - Driving Tests - Terry W

The course to become a driving test examiner lasts 4 weeks.

I doubt very much that a week is long enough given a need to understand driving law, equal rights, discrimination issues, etc etc in addition to objectively assessing driving ability and providing feedback to failures in an appropriate way.

The pay of a new driving examiner is ~£26k pa. With almost full employment in the UK this may not be much of an incentive to potential recruits.

From a government perspective they would not want to take on permanent staff which is an expensive long term commitment for a problem which may be fairly short term (several months, not years) following Covid disruption.

"""I doubt very much that a week is long enough given a need to understand driving law, equal rights, discrimination issues, etc etc in addition to objectively assessing driving ability and providing feedback to failures in an appropriate way."""

Just about sums it up. Better than saying "you are useless come back when you know what a red light means""

N/A - Driving Tests - Steveieb

Heard that tech companies with fast internet connections are booking all the places as they become available and selling them on at a premium.

DVLA May wish to step in to put an end to this

N/A - Driving Tests - catsdad

Is it time to privatise elements of the DVLA? It works for MoTs why not car driving tests? The MOT backlog cleared pretty quickly. A privatised testing regime could be more flexible to tackle the backlog with weekend working and part time examiners for example.

It might even be a more appealing environment for testers to work in. It can’t be great for morale seeing a never reducing backlog. A private company could also offer value add advanced courses, post test.

There may be objections on safety grounds but millions of existing non-government jobs are safety related. Proper controls and checks could ensure that safety was not compromised.

Edited by catsdad on 31/05/2022 at 11:17

N/A - Driving Tests - badbusdriver

My eldest son lives in the same North East Scotland town as me. He was quite late in even expressing an interest in driving, but by the time he did, covid was very much a part of our lives. He could get no theory tests locally, or even in Aberdeen (30 miles away), but did manage to get a booking in Elgin, nearly 70 miles away. Unfortunately he failed!. Desperate to get another booking that didn't involve a wait of several months, he managed to secure a test in Newcastle!. Went down on the train, and yes, he did pass.

As for the actual driving test, he booked an intensive driving course, the price of which included the test. This was done in October last year and he did pass first go (I believe he would have got at least one other try had he failed). But I got the impression that the company he did this through, get allocated a certain amount of test slots, which then get allocated to whoever is deemed ready.

N/A - Driving Tests - focussed

Heard that tech companies with fast internet connections are booking all the places as they become available and selling them on at a premium.

DVLA May wish to step in to put an end to this

Nothing to do with the DVLA.

It's the DVSA -Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency- who are nothing to do with the DVLA.

N/A - Driving Tests - mcb100
There is a test backlog of approximately 500,000 candidates.
There are 300 new examiners being added to the roster. If each does 7 tests per day, that’s 2100 extra tests per day. It’s still the best part of a year to catch up, based on my simplistic maths.
Edit: Above figures were based on what I heard on the radio yesterday. It seems, however, that the figures for new examiners are lower - content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKDVSA/bulletins/...e

Edited by mcb100 on 31/05/2022 at 12:07

N/A - Driving Tests - Xileno

The problem is compounded by the pass rate of around 50%. That seem low to me. Are youngsters being put in too soon?

N/A - Driving Tests - blindspot

the waiting times for tests has been bad for years pre covid. The problem is the booking list is limited to 24 weeks there is no waiting list. result you can't book a test a date to fit in with your life. . they need open their digital dairy to 48 weeks. for goodness sake how hard could that be

the waiting times for tests has been bad for years pre covid. The problem is the booking list is limited to 24 weeks there is no waiting list. result you can't book a test a date to fit in with your life. . they need open their digital dairy to 48 weeks. for goodness sake how hard could that be

Then that would be filled as well.

What they need is more examiners but that means money and time...and no one wants to spend money or wait.

A 24 week booking period is plenty - if longer it will simply fill with people booking a slot before they have even started learning.

With 3 days notice examinees currently get a full refund if they cancel. This encourages booking a slot before they are remotely ready.

Limiting refunds to (say) 50% may eliminate much speculative booking. The extra cash raised by reducing refunds could be used for extra examiners.

There should also be a minimum delay of 2 months before candidates can resit the test if they fail - this should ensure they are better prepared - a 50% pass rate evidences too little preparation.

NO for me it needs to be 48 weeks or eternity. . you pretty much cannot book a driving test in south east england. if you would like a test in 7 months time it is not possible to arrange.

In the news today about the lack of tests available:

Driving test backlog sees exams sold for over £200 - BBC News

DSA say they are cracking down on the malpractice with both the theory and practical tests

Driving test slot shortages are like toilet rolls. Everything works fine until there is a hiccup.

• the media make a story out of a few local shortages due to Covid disruption
  • this is presented in a way which seems like an incipient nationwide problem
  • consumers clear the shelves of toilet rolls, learner drivers book slots before they have even started learning
  • the shortage becomes blindingly evident. Fights over the few remaining toilet rolls, people start to book re-tests just in case, people game the system
  • calls for government action. Law to limit bum wiping to 2 sheets only, recruit lots of examiners, extend booking window. Makes little or no difference.
  • paper recycling industry re-sells old news print for more than the original cover price. People book driving tests before kiddie starts school just in case

The system is wrong. Limit bookings to only 1 per candidate. Treble driving test fees. Make fee non-refundable if test cancelled or failed. Rebate 2/3 if test passed.

This will eliminate most of the problem overnight. Folk will no longer book tests just in case, will attend far better prepared, cannot fill the booking system with test dates that they do not need.

"""The system is wrong. Limit bookings to only 1 per candidate. Treble driving test fees. Make fee non-refundable if test cancelled or failed. Rebate 2/3 if test passed."""

So £186 for a driving test and £69 for the theory. I think Rishi needs to open up his purse again. Seriously with only a 50% pass rate as indicated earlier on, something needs overhauling, driving is not that difficult. Most of the practical fails I suspect are due to nerves sitting next to a complete stranger.

N/A - Driving Tests - Xileno
DVSA closing down booking accounts not linked to instructors

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61673686

where this report state . i can't get a test till next year. . i have to wiat ten months . is just plain wrong. the booking system stops at 24 weeks period