What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Random

Settled. www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61581251

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Brit_in_Germany

Which works out at just over £2,000 per car. Not bad, since the actual financial damage was nowhere near that figure.

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - bathtub tom

"The group has already paid out more than €30bn (£26bn) worldwide."

I think they mean subsequent new VAG purchasers have been royally conned into paying for it.

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - alan1302

"The group has already paid out more than €30bn (£26bn) worldwide."

I think they mean subsequent new VAG purchasers have been royally conned into paying for it.

People will have chose to pay for a VAG car, and happy with what they have paid. No conning going on.

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Theophilus

I would suggest that the "con" is on the British public, not the VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda owners ... after all the VAG scam has been to allow noxious gases to be emitted into the environment, potentially harming the health of those living alongside busy roads.

I'm not sure how the owners have suffered significant harm, indeed they have probably benefitted by having their vehicles allocated to lower tax bands than if the true emissions had been published.

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Xileno

I was thinking exactly the same thing. How have the VAG owners actually suffered a financial hit? They still had the use of their car. Perfectly right that the company is fined, maybe the money should have gone to some kind of environmental cause.

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - veloceman
Yup, compensation culture at its best.
Most people scoff at it until they many benefit.
I bet at least 75% of those stick with the brand and buy another regardless.
Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - DavidGlos
Following the ‘fix’ to our Golf 2.0 TDI, the EGR valve failed outside of the period where VW were picking up the liability for failures of injectors, EGR valves etc following their ‘fix’.

That cost around £800 to fix and to my mind, the failure would have been caused by the ‘fix’ causing both the injectors and EGR system to work a lot harder. Given what I consider to be a bill ‘caused’ by VW and for which they weren’t prepared to contribute at the time, I’d be happy to recover my £800, but don’t see the need for further compensation.

No further VAG cars purchased in this household!
Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Zippy123

I was thinking exactly the same thing. How have the VAG owners actually suffered a financial hit? They still had the use of their car. Perfectly right that the company is fined, maybe the money should have gone to some kind of environmental cause.

The emissions and fuel consumption cycle figures would have been inaccurate so when you compared them to other cars the VAG group cars would have appeared to be more efficient, so if they claimed 40mpg on the tests but in reality only got 30mpg the owner would be worse off as they may have purchased the car that really did 40mpg on the test.

Of course, test and real world figures vary but the test is used as a comparison. Cheating it deserves a punishment and I think the UK Govt should also sue for lost revenue on vehicle excise duty and company car taxes (where higher CO2 readings would require more BIK to be paid).

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Metropolis.
VAG has to be one of the worst acronyms I have ever seen when read as a word.

Glad to see them paying up.
Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - sammy1

Zippy makes the case perfectly. The VAG group by masking their vehicles true emissions deliberately in order to gain market advantage. Some VAG owners suffered a monetary loss when VAG recalled the cars in an effort to put things right and in some cases made things a whole lot worse.

Volkswagen to pay out £193m in 'dieselgate' settle - Brit_in_Germany

No doubt the other manufacturers who used, or allegedly used, cheat devices will also be paying out, i.e. at least Fiat, Opel, Nissan, Renault, Mercedes, Suzuki, and BMW.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 27/05/2022 at 12:20