What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speed limit signs painted out! - barney100

Driving into Southampton from the M3 the dual carriageway into Southampton had all the speed signs whitened out! Is this a prank or have the powers that be done it? We had different views on the limit...30..there are lamp posts.... used to be 40....nah nah.. it was 50....Some were doing 30 and another must have been doing 70.

Speed limit signs painted out! - Theophilus

The limit on the A33 into Southampton from the M3 was always 40mph, but was reduced "temporarily" a couple of years ago to 30mph.

It now seems to be a permanent fixture at 30mph, but rather than incur the additional expenditure of new signage the Council have opted to have the 40mph signs painted out - relying on motorists realising that the presence of street-lights means a 30 mph limit unless signed otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is soon redesignated 20 mph!

Speed limit signs painted out! - Soichiro
Drive down there regularly. It was reduced to 30mph when they did the roadworks.
The signs that have been painted white have faded, so the 40 now shows through.
I don’t know why they haven’t just removed the signs.
Speed limit signs painted out! - Andrew-T
The signs that have been painted white have faded, so the 40 now shows through. I don’t know why they haven’t just removed the signs.

Maybe they are still waiting for the crew to remember to put new numbers on ?

Speed limit signs painted out! - Sparrow

It is very confusing, not helped by being so called temporary means the sat nav still thinks it is 40.

Speed limit signs painted out! - ExA35Owner

Very unwise to trust the satnav to tell you the speed limit.

Much better to use Eyeball Mark I and look for speed limit signs, repeater signs, and street lighting. "My satnav said it was 40" or similar is no defence at all.

Speed limit signs painted out! - Smileyman

Another example of dumbing down speeds all in the pursuit of a holy grail - if only they asked the motorists first! Break out the red flags!! (when cars were first used some bright park suggested a flagman must walk in front waving a red flag to warn others of the oncoming vehicle)

Speed limit signs painted out! - alan1302

Another example of dumbing down speeds all in the pursuit of a holy grail - if only they asked the motorists first! Break out the red flags!! (when cars were first used some bright park suggested a flagman must walk in front waving a red flag to warn others of the oncoming vehicle)

Or it just flows better with the lower limit - roads often do.