Car for other half - carl233

Have a max of £25k to spend on a new car for the Mrs. Considering used prices new seems the way to go and we can wait 6 months for the car. Needs to be easy to park and an auto. Yaris is the favourite but the PEV 3 cylinder engine is very much unproven based on research. Looking for a good warranty and a car that can last 150k miles without falling apart. Would rather the engine did not have a turbo. Any other vehicle worth looking at?

Car for other half - Metropolis.
The Toyota is a safer bet than any proven model from another brand. They also have a 10 year warranty if you keep getting it serviced at main dealer. It is generally accepted as the most reliable carmaker on the planet.

That is not to say that other cars might have better characteristics, value for money in the short term, etc. As a long term bet it is hard to beat Toyota.
Car for other half - Theophilus

I was given this brief by SWMBO 6 months ago and we bought a Honda Jazz Hybrid EX - she's been delighted with it, easy to drive and reversing camera makes parking a synch.

She had two Toyota Yaris in the past but find the Jazz a real upgrade.

Bought new ( using a well-known online car comparison website C*****w) for around £22,000, so well inside your budget

Car for other half - badbusdriver

Honda Jazz has always been the traditional rival to the Yaris. While I'd be happy enough with the Yaris, given the choice, I'd take the Jazz thanks to being more spacious and practical. I would have no qualms at all over the reliability of either.

If you have a Mazda dealer not too far away, might also be worth considering the new 2 (which is just a rebadged Yaris).

Car for other half - Metropolis.

I would agree with you on the Jazz being the more spacious and practical car, but I am not sure Honda are what they used to be as a long-term prospect. They certainly don't have the best reputation for gearbox durability, they tend to (anecdotally from asian uber drivers) suffer a/c failure more than others, and the suspension doesn't seem as durable as it could be with bushes wearing prematurely. Plus, only a 3 year warranty and a dealership network that doesn't always shine.

If it was a 3 year car I would say go for the Jazz, but the OP wants 150,000 miles, i'm assuming on a normal average mileage per annum.

Car for other half - RJ414i

Have a max of £25k to spend on a new car for the Mrs. Considering used prices new seems the way to go and we can wait 6 months for the car. Needs to be easy to park and an auto. Yaris is the favourite but the PEV 3 cylinder engine is very much unproven based on research. Looking for a good warranty and a car that can last 150k miles without falling apart. Would rather the engine did not have a turbo. Any other vehicle worth looking at?

How about a Yaris 1.5l from 2017 to 2020, 4 cylinder non turbo and should be good for 150k+?

Edited by RJ414i on 07/05/2022 at 21:31

Car for other half - nellyjak

How about a Yaris 1.5l from 2017 to 2020, 4 cylinder non turbo and should be good for 150k+?

Couldn't argue with that..we've had a 2019 Yaris Y20 from new..1.5 no turbo, no nonense, but with all the bells and whistles you could want/need..and save yourself around £10k too.

As with SLO's comments...I doubt you could find a more reliable make/model at the price.

Car for other half - SLO76
I have 100% faith in this engine and the rest of the car it’s contained within. These are an excellent option especially with long term reliability in mind. Toyota rarely get it wrong.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/05/2022 at 22:20

Car for other half - Palcouk

Reliability, Toyota, Honda basically Japanese or Korean, if you want to pose MB/BMW all ok generally for 3 years

Thanks for the excellent advice the Jazz seems to have a very short warranty compared to the Toyota. It looks a great car with potentially a better interior Honda dealer also only seems to offer a 4% discount on list after some initial pushing, not pushed very hard as yet. Toyota dealer willing to give a shade under 9% discount on list. The older Yaris seems to offer more confidence with the 4 cylinder engine but with used prices the way they are a small amount of money less than 2k can offer a brand new vehicle compared to a 3-4 year old car. What are thoughts with the new 3 cylinder engine in the new Yaris, appreciate it has a long warranty but any general thoughts on this?

Thanks for the excellent advice the Jazz seems to have a very short warranty compared to the Toyota. It looks a great car with potentially a better interior Honda dealer also only seems to offer a 4% discount on list after some initial pushing, not pushed very hard as yet. Toyota dealer willing to give a shade under 9% discount on list. The older Yaris seems to offer more confidence with the 4 cylinder engine but with used prices the way they are a small amount of money less than 2k can offer a brand new vehicle compared to a 3-4 year old car. What are thoughts with the new 3 cylinder engine in the new Yaris, appreciate it has a long warranty but any general thoughts on this?

Keep the Toyota servicing up and it's covered for 10 years or 100k miles. Long enough to iron out any possible faults?

Edited by RJ414i on 09/05/2022 at 12:38

Car for other half - Heidfirst

Keep the Toyota servicing up and it's covered for 10 years or 100k miles. Long enough to iron out any possible faults?

Toyota, at least in the UK, also have a reputation of being one of the best at actually standing behind their warranty rather than trying to weasel out.

Car for other half - Ian_SW

If you want something a bit more proven, how about stepping up a size and buying a Corolla hatchback instead of a Yaris? There are new and nearly new ones listed as "in stock" at various dealers on Autotrader for under £25k. All will be auto as they are hybrid, and with an engine/transmission which is well tested to huge mileages by minicab and uber drivers everywhere....

Yes the Corolla is indeed more proven and essentially a Prius setup in terms of the components. It seems better value for money although sadly the Mrs thinks it is a little too big in terms of parking. Think we will move forward on the Yaris and fingers crossed the small 3 cylinder engine proves solid

Car for other half - badbusdriver

Think we will move forward on the Yaris and fingers crossed the small 3 cylinder engine proves solid

A few points.

A 1.5 isn't really a small engine in this day and age, and certainly not for a car the size of a Yaris (you can get a Skoda Octavia with a 1.0 3 cyl). The engine in the Yaris is also very under-stressed making just 91bhp (by itself) compared to 110bhp for the 1.0 Octavia.

A 3 cyl engine has less moving parts, meaning less chances for something to potentially break. It also means less friction resulting in (marginally, but every little helps) better economy.

Daihatsu have been putting ultra reliable 3 cyl engines in cars for around 45 years now. Guess who have had a controlling stake in Daihatsu since 1998 and have owned the company outright since 2016?, Toyota.

Toyota, at least in the UK, also have a reputation of being one of the best at actually standing behind their warranty rather than trying to weasel out.

Wife's 17 reg 1.5 Yaris bought privately 2nd hand with TFSH last September just had a rear wheel bearing replaced under warranty, no quibble by the very helpful Toyota dealer in Swindon.

Placed the order today, used the Car**w site as a starting point but got another few percent off. Price paid cheaper than a two year old vehicle and opted for the built in navigation and protection plus pack. Delivery is 6 month wait but there is no rush as the Mrs has a low miles MK6 Fiesta. Expect list prices to increase further so it was all about getting the order in