Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Thermostat job cost - ambient

My partners car came up with a STOP warning light recently. AA suspected it was the thermostat which had failed.

Towed it to a garage with a 'good' reputation and a lot of good reviews. They said the thermostat certainly needs replacing, but until they do that, they can't say whether there is further work to be done. For replacing the thermostat, they quoted us £280. This seems like a really steep price.

I've watched a few videos of the thermostat being replaced on similar models. Is this a job a layman can do, providing I drain the coolant, and make sure I remember the order of pipes I disconnect?

Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Thermostat job cost - Andrew-T

I presume this car has the same engine as my 08 Pug 1.6 diesel. The Haynes manual says the following for changing a thermostat (I summarise):

Drain cooling system (you knew that) - thermostat is in the coolant outlet housing on the left-hand end of the cyl.head, requiring removal of the housing - remove battery and battery tray, air cleaner and ducting - disconnect wiring connectors - disconnect hoses from housing - remove housing.

You should renew housing gasket and perhaps the sealing ring. So perhaps this adds up to labour time, tho it must be about 2½ hours to cost £280. A new thermostat should be fairly cheap.

Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Thermostat job cost - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s the same Psa engine found in many Peugeot/Citroen/Ford models . I would estimate the job at 1-2 hours , depending on anything else breaking . The stat is an all plastic housing assembly with loads of pipe outlets. Cost will also depend on whether it’s a genuine or aftermarket part .
Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Citroen C4 08 1.6 Diesel - Thermostat job cost - Gibbo_Wirral

Its not a hard job. But first I'd check the temperature sensor.