What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - privateinvestor

I see an article in news media suggesting that to ease the financial burden on people the annual MOT test could become bi-annual instead of annual - how stupid an idea is this. Better to clamp down on profiteering petrol retailers.

Edited by privateinvestor on 26/04/2022 at 20:42

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Xileno

I'm not hugely in favour of every two year MOTs but they have them in France starting at year four and am not aware of any great concerns.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Bromptonaut

Biennial MoT tests is an idea that's been floated several times in the last few years.

We know that a significant number of cars fail the test on majors or get advisories for marginal tyres etc at a yearly test. Too many motorists think "if it passed the MoT it's OK". Does letting those cars out on the road for another year sound remotely sensible?

I know the French controle tecniq is biennial but that's a different country with different policing and culture.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Terry W

35% of cars fail the MoT - some for trivial, but also major faults with braking, steering and suspension.

A cost of living crisis will inevitably increase the numbers who seek to avoid expenditure on car maintenance putting both themselves and other at risk. Less competent and/or knowledgeable car owners may be unaware that there is a fault!

We should stick to annual inspections - although there may be an argument to rethink the inclusion in the MoT of largely non-safety critical items to minimise costs.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - sammy1

I have been relying on an annual MOT as part of my service regime so not a fan of changing. I doubt the garage industry or road safety people will be happy either. Gov clutching at straws and running out of ideas to save £50 every other year it will not happen. The sooner Grant Shapps leaves DOT the better he hasn't got a clue

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - FoxyJukebox
There are many thousands of people who have an annual MOT rather than a service. I for
one did this in 2021 having only covered a short mileage in lockdowns. Granted-I did also have an oil change.
A year later I took advantage of
a free vehicle health check plus MOT and oil change having covered 5000 miles.
I’d keep the annual MOT. One big thought though. What about cancelling advisories if we went to 2 years? All recomended work to be completed before a pass?

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Engineer Andy

35% of cars fail the MoT - some for trivial, but also major faults with braking, steering and suspension.

A cost of living crisis will inevitably increase the numbers who seek to avoid expenditure on car maintenance putting both themselves and other at risk. Less competent and/or knowledgeable car owners may be unaware that there is a fault!

We should stick to annual inspections - although there may be an argument to rethink the inclusion in the MoT of largely non-safety critical items to minimise costs.

Good point. Besides, saving people £54 a year, whilst nice would likely be gobbled up by a) one month's increase in their gas, electricity and especially car's fuel bill and leaving 2 years between MOTs would likely cause an increase in accidents (and thus the cost of them overall) due to dangerously worn parts such as lights, tyres, brakes and/or suspension.

Many people still use MOTs are a 'guide' to what they should have repaired on their car rather than use their own judgement via basic checks and a good mechanic to inspect and maintain it properly. My neighbour was lucky to have their passed its MOT after one of their tyres was within a small margin of being illegal (tread depth).

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - focussed

Biennial MoT tests is an idea that's been floated several times in the last few years.

We know that a significant number of cars fail the test on majors or get advisories for marginal tyres etc at a yearly test. Too many motorists think "if it passed the MoT it's OK". Does letting those cars out on the road for another year sound remotely sensible?

I know the French controle tecniq is biennial but that's a different country with different policing and culture.

Yes it's different to the UK in France.

The French MOT is from 4 years old not 3 years as in the UK.

About 2.3 x the size in area of the UK so the opportunity to drive long distances is greater.

People in rural areas, (and there is a lot of rural area in France) tend to have to drive long distances for work.

Used car adverts frequently advertise cars for sale with more than 300,000 km on the odometer.

The French police and gendarmes are not noted for inspecting your car for technical defects on a routine stop apart from the usual dodgy tyres and bits falling off etc, they just inspect that your paperwork is in order, and sometimes do breath tests.

The french MOT is carried out by testing stations not garages so no dodgy makey-workey fails.

As regards servicing there are a lot more small garage workshops and dealers in rural france than in the UK- a workshop + small showroom with one new car in it is not unusual out in the sticks.

And yet the official figure for accidents with technical causes is less than 0.75%

There is no MOT for motorcycles in France and the figure for accidents with technical causes is less than 0.5% - mostly the scooter riders.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Andrew-T

As a compromise, how about biennial tests from 3 years on, then annual from 10 years, when more serious defects and corrosion become common ? 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, ...

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Will deBeast

As a compromise, how about biennial tests from 3 years on, then annual from 10 years, when more serious defects and corrosion become common ? 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, ...

I believe Spain has annual tests once the car is 10 years old (every 2 years for younger cars).

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Ethan Edwards

Easier way to save households over a 100 quid a year. Make the BBC manage on its own and abolish the licence fee.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 27/04/2022 at 08:22

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - John F

Agreed - almost. 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12....... High milers who run new cars almost invariably have them serviced during the first four years.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - madf

The Government taxes fuel, electricity and gas. Revenues rise as prices rise.

There is an obvious solution: but that would mean the Government would lose some extra revenues. Government is run by the Government for the Government. But paid for by voters.

Saving money on MOTs is irrelevant. The Energy Cap rise in April is £693 on average: 5% of that (roughly) is tax or c £35. And it is likely to increase a LOT more in October.

Government is run by the Government for the Government. But paid for by voters.

And non-voters, who presumably aren't bothered.

Agreed - almost. 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12....... High milers who run new cars almost invariably have them serviced during the first four years.

And Sammy1 and like-minded others could stick to annual tests if they choose. Back in the 70s I worked with a risk-averse guy who had his Renault 5 tested every 6 months, just in case. Topped himself a few years later, sadly :-(

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Chris M

According to the RAC the most common reasons for failure are:

Lighting and signalling - 19%

Suspension - 13%

Brakes -10%

Tyres - 8%

Lighting and tyres can affect any car regardless of age and there are plenty of newish cars running on damaged or worn tyres and/or with a brake or headlight out. For some owners the only time they will care is at MoT time. Biannual MoT is a bad idea from a Government that's trying to find a no cost headline grabbing gimmick.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Crickleymal

I read the government discussion document about changing to a 2 year MOT. Apparently very few accidents are due to equipment failure, most are driver error.

3.28 The study estimated that vehicle defects are likely to be a contributory factor in around 3% of road accidents although there is no established link between MOT measured roadworthiness and vehicle defects contributing to accidents.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...f

Edited by Crickleymal on 27/04/2022 at 16:51

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - 72 dudes

I'm on the Yougov panel and one of today's daily questions was

Do you support or oppose the suggestion that the government may make MOT testing every 2 years.

I was surprised and dismayed that 48% of respondents supported it, compared to 36% against. 16% "didn't know".

If you can't afford £54 a year for a safety check (and I haven't paid over £40 for over ten years), or half a tank of fuel these days, should you even own a car?

If there is little or no demonstrable link between vehicle equipment and accidents, why bother to have an MOT test. It only tests the vehicle at the time of presentation. It does not provide a no fault warranty for 12 months.

With a two year MOT almost all faults can develop from an easy pass to a major fail - suspension, brakes, steering, corrosion.

Those driving the car already have to take responsibility for compliance with law - lighting, emissions, tyres etc. Anyone buying an untested vehicle could choose to either have an inspection or use their own judgement.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - 72 dudes

Those driving the car already have to take responsibility for compliance with law - lighting, emissions, tyres etc. Anyone buying an untested vehicle could choose to either have an inspection or use their own judgement.

This is precisely the problem though.

The majority of motorists who are not interested in cars or driving have no idea what their legal responsibilities are. A further minority probably do but choose to ignore them and purposely drive around with no MOT, tax, insurance, license (see any Channel 5 documentary with Cops or Interceptors in the title)

If there is little or no demonstrable link between vehicle equipment and accidents, why bother to have an MOT test. It only tests the vehicle at the time of presentation. It does not provide a no fault warranty for 12 months.

You could reverse this argument and say that as there is no correlation, the present inspection system must be preventing accidents caused by vehicle faults ! Then raise the interval to 2 years and see if anything changes.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - expat

I read the government discussion document about changing to a 2 year MOT. Apparently very few accidents are due to equipment failure, most are driver error.

Logically that would mean that they should be testing the drivers at least as much as the cars. That isn't going to happen though - the motor trade couldn't make any money out of it.

I was mulling the idea of 2-year MOTs while driving along the M5 today.

Given that defective vehicles are responsible for a tiny fraction of road deaths/injuries, maybe the vehicle is not the most dangerous aspect of motoring.

Given the number of people clearly on phones, driving too close, not paying attention, maybe we should instead focus on the drivers. Perhaps instead of paying someone for an hour of checking vehicles, we should be insisting on everyone paying for an hour of driving supervision? We all fall into bad habits. The highway code changes. It is mad that I can pass a driving test at 17 and never have a moment of top-up training, ever.

And perhaps we should all be redoing our highway code theory test every few years. Perhaps start with every 10 years, when photocards are due for renewal?

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Falkirk Bairn

Annual MoT shows the car was fit for the road on that day.

The lights work, the tyres have tread, steering is up to scratch, exhaust fumes are within range, brakes work and have sufficient pads to last for a few 000 miles and then engine mounts /suspension is not about to fail due to corrosion

Some drivers never look at their car - bald tyres, brakes pulling to one side, no dipped beam etc etc. As long as it starts and runs they are happy.

The annual MoT has them paying out £50 and any repairs needed to pass the test - what is wrong with that?

The annual MoT has them paying out £50 and any repairs needed to pass the test - what is wrong with that?

On the face of it, nothing. But it's too much of an armchair counsel of perfection. As argued above, it is overly rigorous and too frequent, especially in the early years of a car's life. As so often seems to be the case, our European neighbours seem to have more sensible and pragmatic arrangements.

If I was young and poor, I would be angry that our family 21yr old Focus, mechanically sound and fundamentally structurally safe, will soon be scrapped.

Of itself, nothing. But I'm pointing out that virtually all deaths and serious injuries are caused by driver error, not by vehicle defect.

The car has to be re-tested every year. The driver, never.

It is a classic case of looking at the wrong risk. If we really want to reduce death and serious injury, there are other risks we should be looking at.

Edited by Will deBeast on 28/04/2022 at 09:28

<< The car has to be re-tested every year. The driver, never. It is a classic case of looking at the wrong risk. If we really want to reduce death and serious injury, there are other risks we should be looking at. >>

It's not the 'wrong risk', as both risks should be considered. It's mainly that the car won't object to being tested at regular intervals, while the driver very probably would. And while the authorities can now detect cars on the road with expired MoTs, it is one way to keep up with those drivers who make little attempt to keep their cars roadworthy.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - sammy1

Is not the MOT a good buying/selling aid. Whenever people are asking on here about it advice is always to check the MOT history as it gives a good account of past history and problems. You can imagine the neglect of vehicles if there were no checks. One of the main ones being tyres.

What about insurance companies.

At the moment they have a claim get out if the vehicle is not in a roadworthy condition - no MOT, obvious failings in brakes, tyres, lighting etc. Were MOTs voluntary, they may simply load the premium of those who chose not to have one to reduce their risks.

Any savings to drivers in MOT costs would be offset by the insurance cost increases.

The argument has gone full circle - the proposition that biennial MOTs would save motorists money in a cost of living crisis is an illusion.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Engineer Andy

Of itself, nothing. But I'm pointing out that virtually all deaths and serious injuries are caused by driver error, not by vehicle defect.

The car has to be re-tested every year. The driver, never.

It is a classic case of looking at the wrong risk. If we really want to reduce death and serious injury, there are other risks we should be looking at.

I would say that whatever the stats, if someone neglects their car so that it has sufficient defects that are MOT fail items, the likelihood of them also being a careless or dangerous driver is, in my view, much higher than someone who properly maintains their car - irrespective of their financial means.

As many have sais, it's the attitude of the driver (i.e. owner) that makes the difference. That a car may also have bald tyres or defective brakes won't exactly help the situation even if it isn't the initial or main cause of the accident.

All for the sake of spending £54 on an MOT every year and about £200 on servicing. Often preventative maintenance reduces the cost of ownership because large faults don't occur or for several years, and can be negated or fixed at a far cheap price than to wait until they physically fail and/or the MOT.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - galileo

Cars over 40 years old are exempt from MOT, based on the (for once sensible) view that owners of such tend to look after them with great care.

Re-testing drivers would reduce congestion for a while as all the i****s showed as unfit were obliged to take lessons and tests.

(NB, I took an elderly drivers assessment a few years ago and then took and passed IAM Roadsmart's advanced test, I wouldn't mind a periodic check but too many would object for periodic driver testing to be introduced. Except, of course, driving instructors.)

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Lrac

So a small split in a cv joint neglected for up to another year chucks out its grease and wrecks the joint and shaft and this saves money. Hmmn !

Like the rest of you on here I'll stick with an annual check

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - edlithgow

So a small split in a cv joint neglected for up to another year chucks out its grease and wrecks the joint and shaft and this saves money. Hmmn !

Even in the famously anal uk I'm not aware of any legislation which stops you checking your CV boots whenever you want to.

Here in Taiwan the checks are 6-monthly but cheaper and less comprehensive, with little testers discretion stuff (an assurance of arbitrariness) and I believe no testing of recent nanny tech like vehicle stability systems and TPMS. Basically lights brakes and emissions.

Works for me.

It would only be after many thousands of miles that a the loss of grease and ingress of dirt would 'wreck' a CV joint, let alone its adjoining shafts. And even before it is 'wrecked' there would be plenty of signs of its imminent failure. Try watching a few 'dangerous journeys' on U-tube (Tony Comiti fils) to see how much punishment joints can take before breaking down!

Not all the rest. There are some thoughtful people here who disagree with the OP. And I suspect some of 'the rest' might be connected with the motor trade and have an undeclared vested interest in maintaining as much income for it as possible. More failures mean more work for mechanics, scrap yards, vehicle salespersons and ultimately vehicle manufacturers.

When I was in the UK I only found it necessary to MOT every 2 years, since monitoring was via the tax disk, which you needed a valid MOT to buy.

I bought a years tax disk when I had the absolute minimum left on the MOT, then ran without an MOT cert until I needed one to re-tax.

I suppose The Man has upped his surveillance capability considerably since those days of relative freedom.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - focussed

Cars over 40 years old are exempt from MOT, based on the (for once sensible) view that owners of such tend to look after them with great care.

Re-testing drivers would reduce congestion for a while as all the i****s showed as unfit were obliged to take lessons and tests.

(NB, I took an elderly drivers assessment a few years ago and then took and passed IAM Roadsmart's advanced test, I wouldn't mind a periodic check but too many would object for periodic driver testing to be introduced. Except, of course, driving instructors.)

Driving instructors were subject to what used to be called a check test once or twice in four years which was a check on instructional ability with an actual pupil. A senior examiner sat in the back of a normal lesson and graded the instructor.

The instructor's licence to instruct was valid for four years from qualifying and cost £200 to renew every four years.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - Warning

The MOT history website is useful to check vehicle mileage.

I have seen come cars being advertised with 40,000 miles on the clock, but look likethey have done 80,000 miles. In my opinion, MOT check in the early years should be done. As that it when the most lucrative profits can be made in cheating people.

The MOT history website is useful to check vehicle mileage.

I have seen come cars being advertised with 40,000 miles on the clock, but look likethey have done 80,000 miles. In my opinion, MOT check in the early years should be done. As that it when the most lucrative profits can be made in cheating people.

Good point. But as most such fraud is not committed by the first one or two high miler owners, the addition of a mileage declaration box on the annual tax renewal form linked to the info on the MoT search site which is active even when the car is under 3 yrs old would be a simple and effective way to discourage clocking. Can't understand why this wasn't introduced ages ago.

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - daveyjp

An MOT tester called into a radio call in about this and said it will increase costs for motorists.

At the moment an advisory is given where the tester feels a problem is developing which needs to be monitored, but doesn't need immediate attention. Knowing there will be another test in 12 months gives them some comfort.

If an MOT tester needed to think two years ahead they are more likely to fail a vehicle which means a repair has to be done which may not be needed at that moment in time.

An MOT tester called into a radio call in about this and said it will increase costs for motorists.

At the moment an advisory is given where the tester feels a problem is developing which needs to be monitored, but doesn't need immediate attention. Knowing there will be another test in 12 months gives them some comfort.

If an MOT tester needed to think two years ahead they are more likely to fail a vehicle which means a repair has to be done which may not be needed at that moment in time.

Sounds like an MOT tester not too bothered about following the rules.

I remember encountering one or two (though in a different and less ambiguous context) when I had to deal with the UK MOT, (which I don't miss at all).

As I understand it, the MOT test is supposed to be on status at A POINT IN TIME, so the tester does not have to think ahead, and should not do so to justify failing a vehicle.

At all.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/05/2022 at 02:00

<< the MOT test is supposed to be on status at A POINT IN TIME, so the tester does not have to think ahead, and should not do so to justify failing a vehicle. >>

That is all it can be. A conscientious and reasonable tester will fail a vehicle on what is wrong Today, and advise about points which may fail next time. Of course those opinions will vary between testers, and depend on how much use the car gets. Hence the 'advisories', and how it may be possible to get a Fail at one place and a Pass the next day somewhere else.

But I suppose that doesn't happen any more, after online records ?

Annual MOT test/ cost of living crisis - FoxyJukebox
Excellent-exactly what I proposed earlier in thread.