What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - martin.mc

While using the Goverment MOT checking site. I entered the registration number of a car I owned in the late 90s to see if it was still on the road. The make, model, colour and date first registered came up but no MOT information. Concluded vehicle had been scrapped. This seems to work with cars going back to the early 1970s. Example LXG690L, a Datsun 1200 Estate that my father had from new. So how long are vehicle records kept for and why?

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Crickleymal

I would presume that as long as the car is on the road or SORN. If it's been sold to a scrappy then they'll send off the relevant part of the V5 and I would have thought at that point Swansea will delete the records.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Andrew-T

I would presume that as long as the car is on the road or SORN. If it's been sold to a scrappy then they'll send off the relevant part of the V5 and I would have thought at that point Swansea will delete the records.

My guess is that records which started life on a computerised system will still be there. I can't see DVLA spending effort entering anything from hardcopy.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Crickleymal

Crikey. I've just checked for my 1970 Renault 10. The details are there, last V5 issued in 1984.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - RT

While using the Goverment MOT checking site. I entered the registration number of a car I owned in the late 90s to see if it was still on the road. The make, model, colour and date first registered came up but no MOT information. Concluded vehicle had been scrapped. This seems to work with cars going back to the early 1970s. Example LXG690L, a Datsun 1200 Estate that my father had from new. So how long are vehicle records kept for and why?

Checking on my past vehicles, it seems that there's no deletion timetable - all my vehicles which were in use when the DVLA took over registrations from County Councils are there but older ones aren't.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Xileno

My scrapped cars are on the website except one. That's odd.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - movilogo

For personal data there is time limit how long it can be kept. Typically 3-6 years except records for special interest.

For car data I think there is no such limit.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Bromptonaut

The Renault 5, XBU 151S my mother bought in July 1978 is still on there.

Last tax due July 87 so presumably it had rusted away by 86 - well on the way when she got rid in 81, No MoT data as I don't think that was recorded centrally until the testing system was computerised in the last 20 years or so.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Big John

Looking at my old 2001 Octavia MOT records they are available online from the Feb 2006 MOT so I presume it was computerised from a bit before then - probably April 2005.

I've been looking up most of my cars that I can remember back in time and most from mid 80's seem to be still online anything earlier is not. My Dad's 2001 Octavia that was written off circa 2010 is not available.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - martin.mc

Earliest vehicle I can find is FUP 403H. A Bedford van I had in 1973. Records were transferred from local councils to DVLA in 1974. Don't know if this is relevant or not.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - Falkirk Bairn

I have tried both 2 wheel & 4 wheel ownership from 1963 onwards.

The first reg number recognised was my MGB GT - new in 1972 it was around to 2006.

Any - How long do DVLA keep vehicle details for - RT

Earliest vehicle I can find is FUP 403H. A Bedford van I had in 1973. Records were transferred from local councils to DVLA in 1974. Don't know if this is relevant or not.

That's very relevant - active vehicles, ie those taxed in 1974 were loaded but those not in use weren't - there was/is a specific process for re-activating a vehicle that's not on DVLA.